Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

June 23-24

Weekend Estimates

1 (1) Snow White and the Huntsman (Toho-Towa) ¥189,733,000 ($2.6 million), -37.5%, Week 2

2 (2) Glow of Fireflies (Toho) ¥157,417,000 ($2 million), -33.4%, Week 3

3 (3) MIB 3 (Toho-Towa) ¥116,334,000 ($1.5 million), -43.8%, Week 5

4 (4) Thermae Romae (Toho) ¥87,960,000 ($1.1 million), -42.1%, Week 9

5 (new) LOVE, Masao-kun Ga Iku (Shochiku) ¥71,956,000 ($900,000), Week 1

6 (5) Dark Shadows (Warner Bros.) ¥41,626,000 ($520,000), -45.6%, Week 6

7 (new) Berserk The Golden Age Arc II (Warner Bros.) ¥27,913,000 ($350,000), Week 1

8 (7) We Bought a Zoo (FOX) ¥22,464,000 ($280,000), -58.4%, Week 3

9 (8) Girls (Toho) ¥20,649,000 ($260,000), -57.7%, Week 5

10 (9) Sadako 3D (Kadokawa Pictures) ¥20,069,000 ($250,000), -53%, Week 7

:er: Some pretty harsh drops occurred this weekend and I'm not sure why. It resembles a post-Holiday weekend even. Estimates have been lower than actuals all month, but even the usual 2-4% uptick with actuals won't make this weekend look any better. The Final Judgement was also not included in the estimates again, but it's definitely there and should rank between Berserk II and We Bought a Zoo.

The Amazing Spider-Man did enough in previews to debut on top, but like every other film that received previews in the past, it won't chart this weekend and will instead have what it earned in previews included in it's opening weekend.

Whatever caused these large drops this weekend may have also played a factor into Spider-Man's lower than expected (but still very solid) preview returns as well.

Snow White will do about $20 million.Definitely don't look much into Spider-Man's preview numbers. Pre-sales and the like very rarely matter at all. And I'm still not liking those weekend estimates. I'm thinking the data may have been incomplete, not accounting for one of the major theater chains. It's rare, but that has happened in the past.

No Spider-Man number ?

Bottom of Page 7. But, the weekend estimates look off for some reason meaning Spider-Man's may also be off. I'll update tomorrow morning (13 hours as of this post). Edited by Corpse

I don't think so. Spider-Man was playing in a few more theaters than Snow White meaning it's screen count was probably near 600 this weekend. I'm trying to find out if a major theater chain wasn't included in the data because Spider-Man does indeed seem a little low, not to mention the unusual huge drops for about every film this weekend. I'll know for sure tomorrow morning (in 12 hours) but will update if I find anything out before then.

The Amazing Spider-Man sold 200,304 tickets to gross approx. ¥276,600,514 ($3.5 million) in previews this weekend from 346 theaters. The 3D share isn't known yet, so the gross may rise slightly in the morning (15 hours from this post).

Full weekend estimate will be up shortly.

Is this good?

Is this good?

I would say it's solid. But that may not be an accurate figure because weekend estimates look really low, possibly due to a major theater chain not included in the data reported. Weekend Rankings will be released in the morning, and I'll be sure to post them before work, promise. :P

So what is a good OW for Spidey this weekend. I guess anything lower than double digits is not good. Didn't SM3 open to record numbers.

Most expectations are in the 700/800 million yen range (about $10 million). Previews will be included, so I'm not making any prediction until the estimate is either confirmed or updated tomorrow. I still believe one of the major theater chains didn't report or wasn't included in this weekend's estimates, which will make a pretty big difference in the morning. I just find it hard to believe most holdovers dropped near 50% or more.SM3 had a record 5-day gross in USD due to opening during Golden Week and benefiting from 4 National Holidays. I'll post a Spider-Man box office history article later in the week.

The Amazing Spider-Man is now estimated to have made 267 million ($3.4 million) on 190,000 admissions over the weekend.This weekend however was just really, really weak. I'm about to post the weekend rankings, and the numbers available are even worse than the estimates from last night. There's no explanation as to why everything dropped nearly 50% or more, but I think it might have been due to Summer. I'll explain.Weekdays in Japan often match the Weekends year-round, 50/50 most of the time with a few exceptions. During Jan.-Feb. weekdays are a little weaker than weekends, and in July-Sept. weekdays are a little stronger than weekends. It's still a bit early, and summer break doesn't begin for another 3 weeks in Japan, but I think July weekdays may have kicked in:MIB 3's grossed 103,685,450 yen ($1.3 million) this weekend, down 49.9% compared to last weekend. But it made 238,660,350 yen ($3 million) since last Sunday meaning weekdays accounted for almost 57% of it's weekly gross. That's about 7/8% more than the past several weeks. If the rest of the holdovers have a 55%+ weekday share this week, it would confirm my explanation as to why this weekend was weak. Weekend Rankings will be posted soon.

Edited by Corpse

The Amazing Spider-Man is now estimated to have made 267 million ($3.4 million) on 190,000 admissions over the weekend.This weekend however was just really, really weak. I'm about to post the weekend rankings, and the numbers available are even worse than the estimates from last night. There's no explanation as to why everything dropped nearly 50% or more, but I think it might have been due to Summer. I'll explain.Weekdays in Japan often match the Weekends year-round, 50/50 most of the time with a few exceptions. During Jan.-Feb. weekdays are a little weaker than weekends, and in July-Sept. weekdays are a little stronger than weekends. It's still a bit early, and summer break doesn't begin for another 3 weeks in Japan, but I think July weekdays may have kicked in:MIB 3's grossed 103,685,450 yen ($1.3 million) this weekend, down 49.9% compared to last weekend. But it made 238,660,350 yen ($3 million) since last Sunday meaning weekdays accounted for almost 57% of it's weekly gross. That's about 7/8% more than the past several weeks. If the rest of the holdovers have a 55%+ weekday share this week, it would confirm my explanation as to why this weekend was weak. Weekend Rankings will be posted soon.

Just previews, let's wait the first OW numbers Sunday.

June 23-24

Weekend Admissions Ranking

1 (1) Snow White and the Huntsman (Toho-Towa) Week 2

2 (2) Glow of Fireflies (Toho) Week 3

3 (3) MIB 3 (Toho-Towa) Week 5

4 (4) Thermae Romae (Toho) Week 9

5 (new) LOVE, Masao-jun Ga Iku (Shochiku) Week 1

6 (6) The Final Judgement (Nikkatsu) Week 4

7 (5) Dark Shadows (Warner Bros.) Week 6

8 (7) We Bought a Zoo (FOX) Week 3

9 (new) Berserk The Golden Age Arc II (Warner Bros.) Week 1

10 (8) Girls (Toho) Week 5

The Amazing Spider-Man is now estimated to have made 267 million yen ($3.4 million) on 190,000 admissions over the weekend in previews. That's lower than expected, but this weekend was definitely much weaker than expected, too (explained above).

LOVE, Masao debuted on 231 screens and grossed 56,609,100 yen ($720,000) on 47,930 admissions over the weekend.

Berserk The Golden Age Arc II settles for ninth, making 27,756,900 yen ($350,000) on 19,117 admissions across 93 screens for the weekend.

Dark Shadows exceeded 2 billion yen ($25 million) after six weeks.

Edited by Corpse