Neo

Gods of Egypt | Feb 26, 2016 | IMAX release confirmed

Does anyone think this will be successful? I can't see it being bigger than Exodus. Although, I do root for Lionsgate's success in becoming a major studio. Even if their recent marketing endeavors have left me a bit cold ahem*MJ2*ahem.

Does anyone think this will be successful? I can't see it being bigger than Exodus. Although, I do root for Lionsgate's success in becoming a major studio. Even if their recent marketing endeavors have left me a bit cold ahem*MJ2*ahem.

As long as they don't screw up the marketing ala Insurgent and MJ1, I think Gods of Egypt could do well, insurgent numbers DOM and a little better OS.

They never spend a lot of money on marketing. Their exposure on this $100 million+ movie is supposed to be in the $10 million range so basically they will be promoting a $10 million movie. Why would you spend $60-70 million worth of advertising on a $10 million movie ?

But technically Lionsgate is a major studio evening knowing it still has its small indie roots

I have faith in Proyas. His films are always interesting.

Was just about to say the same thing.  I'm a big fan of his work, having spent a significant amount of time writing about it for a thesis. 

But this is Lionsgate, right?  Never a good sign... by the way...anyone think Lionsgate is actually worse off without Carl Icahn around??

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 12:40:39, Ethan Hunt said:

I'very never seem a Proyas film that I disliked, but I've never seen a Proyas film that I loved. *shrug *

I really disliked "I,Robot",because it turned Asimov's classic stories into a cliched Sci Fi action film,and not a very good one at that. I was shocked that Proyas could have made a film so damn bland.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I really disliked "I,Robot",because it turned Asimov's classic stories into a cliched Sci Fi action film,and not a very good one at that. I was shocked that Proyas could have made a film so damn bland.

Actually, you've got it exactly backwards. What actually happened was that an existing script for a cliched sci-fi action film was turned into an "adaptation" of Asimov.

Edited by TServo2049

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I hope Lionsgate sold the OS rights for like 150M or something because this thing is gonna tank...

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Don't really know anything about this one so I googled it. First thing I saw was Gerard Butler. Yep, tanking

At what point do international presales stop bailing out Lionsgate? They haven't had a major international hit outside the Hunger Games series since forever. 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

At what point do international presales stop bailing out Lionsgate? They haven't had a major international hit outside the Hunger Games series since forever. 

They are getting 60-70M for every Divergent movie. Not sure how. 

Just now, CJohn said:

They are getting 60-70M for every Divergent movie. Not sure how. 

I can understand for the first 2 - the first one was supposed to be the next big thing and was promoted as such before it earned 120M OS. For the second one they got distributors by saying "We have added 3D and markets are expanding", and despite the addition of 3D and expanding markets, it only made 150M OS. Maybe they sold the 3rd and 4th movies as a package deal?