Neo

Gods of Egypt | Feb 26, 2016 | IMAX release confirmed

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I can understand for the first 2 - the first one was supposed to be the next big thing and was promoted as such before it earned 120M OS. For the second one they got distributors by saying "We have added 3D and markets are expanding", and despite the addition of 3D and expanding markets, it only made 150M OS. Maybe they sold the 3rd and 4th movies as a package deal?

I can't see them getting less than 100M for both combined but I doubt it was a package because Ascendent is not gonna happen thanks to Allegiant bombing. 

13 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

You really think they are going to end the series without a conclusion? I don't give a rat's ass about Divergent, but they are not going to kill it 3 movies in.

I don't understand how this got a second movie...let alone a third!

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I don't understand how this got a second movie...let alone a third!

Are you being serious right now? The first one made money. It would be a ridiculously bad business decision to not make a second one. 

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Are you being serious right now? The first one made money. It would be a ridiculously bad business decision to not make a second one. 

From what I can see, they both squeaked by at approximately three times their budget WW (which is usually more than reported), but not including whatever they spent on marketing...with a very mixed critical and audience reaction.  Not sure on home video/VOD.  But reception-wise: first one: 40% on RT, second one 30%.  And the second one cost more and grossed essentially the same as the first.  So yes, I'm being serious. 

Edited by Macleod

• Community Manager

You really think they are going to end the series without a conclusion? I don't give a rat's ass about Divergent, but they are not going to kill it 3 movies in.

Well I guess Jem and the Holograms is getting a sequel since it set up a sequel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Well I guess Jem and the Holograms is getting a sequel since it set up a sequel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The funny thing is that Insurgent didn't exactly set up a sequel. They could have ended the series there if they wanted to. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Macleod said:

From what I can see, they both squeaked by at approximately three times their budget WW (which is usually more than reported), but not including whatever they spent on marketing...with a very mixed critical and audience reaction.  Not sure on home video/VOD.  But reception-wise: first one: 40% on RT, second one 30%.  And the second one cost more and grossed essentially the same as the first.  So yes, I'm being serious. 

No, you can't be serious right now. Insurgent added 3D. They were expecting more money. Increasing the budget was the obvious thing to do to make the scale bigger. Besides, the first cost 85M and 65M were covered by OS sales. Lionsgate paid 20M of the budget and the marketing campaign probably was no more than 20-25M.  Insurgent was obviously gonna happen after the results of Divergent and it would be stupid not to green light it. The same can't be said for Allegiant, tho.

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Yeah, I see your point. But that was one movie in, not three.

I still bet Lionsgate probably believes they have too much riding on it to stop 3/4 of the way through. If they do think this, they may be wrongheaded to do so, but what the hell else do they have after Hunger Games is over?

It would still be hilarious for them to prematurely end a book series adaptation on part 1 of the split final book, though. That would be the ultimate karmic fuck you to final-chapter splitting.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:14:53, TServo2049 said:

"Golden Compass" and "Narnia" say Hi.......

IF they think a third film will not make money,you be they will not make it. I suspect thoug, they will make the third but with  much smaller budget.

Edited by dudalb