hasanahmad

Thursday Box Office 5/17/2012 Avengers 6.2 (402M) Dictator 2.8 (7M) DS 1.7 (38M)

You make a good point. It puzzles me what anyone saw in MIB, but I digress.Will Smith has starred in several other bad movies that have made more than $100M, though. Wild Wild West, Shark Tale, "I, Robot" and Bad Boys 2 (again the sequel factor, but in this case Bad Boys wasn't good either).Then there's Independence Day. It's one of the worst shitfests I've ever seen (I don't know how it has a 'barely fresh' 61% RT score), and it grossed over $300M. Huge number given it's era.So I didn't find the combination of trainwreck film and box office boom that defined Hancock to be a surprise. Will Smith can do that.

Wow, you must really hate Smith. Of all those films you mentioned as being shit, the only one that really is imo is WWW. ID4 is shit? Really?
  • Like 1

Dark Shadows is having a lousy run. I don't think it'll hurt Burton though, studios will continue handing him blank checks to make whatever purfunctory gothic crap he wants (very much looking forward to Frankenweenie, though).

If you suggested a couple of months ago that Avengers would finish in the1.4-1.5b range worldwide, you'd have been locked up in the loony bin. This thing is defying limits for franchise pics.

Agree compltely on Burton. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was horrible, yet reviewed well and made good money. AIW was even worse (and this time the reviewes reflected it) and it did even better. It defies logic. DS will be nothing more than a bump in the road for Burton and Depp.

As for Avengers, I think it could get into the 1.5-1.7b range when all is said and done. You're right... nobody foresaw that, and if they did they were labeled insane.

• Like 1

Personally, I want TASM to bomb because that's the only chance of Sony letting the movie rights revert to marvel. That will only happen if Sony's Spiderman and Ghostrider films do horribly. Ditto for Fox's X-Men movies, Fantastic Four moives, and Daredevil movies.It may never happen, but I can atleast try to do my part. I'm not seeing any of them in the movie theaters anymore. And I will hope that they fail.

Spider-Man bombing won't make Sony reverting the rights to Disney/Marvel. It's too valueable of a property for them to let go this way. I want TASM to succeed exactly because I want to see amazing Spider-Man movies and, hopefully, Marvel and the other studios getting some sort of agreement about how to make these characters coexist in the same universe. If it doesn't happen, well, if TASM is a brilliant movie, why the hell to boycott it? This isn't smart thinking in my opinion.

Wow, you must really hate Smith. Of all those films you mentioned as being shit, the only one that really is imo is WWW. ID4 is shit? Really?

ID4 and shit should never be mentioned in the same post, IMO.
  • Like 2

Agree compltely on Burton. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was horrible, yet reviewed well and made good money. AIW was even worse (and this time the reviewes reflected it) and it did even better. It defies logic. DS will be nothing more than a bump in the road for Burton and Depp.

As for Avengers, I think it could get into the 1.5-1.7b range when all is said and done. You're right... nobody foresaw that, and if they did they were labeled insane.

I don't think success defies logic at all. You might think his films are shit, but there are obviously a ton of people who feel differently. Your opinion of something, or mine as a stand alone opinion, does not make or break a movie. I thought The Hunger Games was one of the laziest films I've seen in quite sometime, but I'm one opinion. There are millions who feel different. Burton obviously has his fans and his success is not a big mystery.

Burton and Depp should stop. Immediately. Neither of their careers are going nowhere.

And I still cant believe Charlie got such good reviews..

I'm with doublejack.ID4=crapMen in Black=crapWild Wild West=horrendousBad Boys II=awfulShark Tale=unfunny shitI Am Legend=started out well and turned to shitHancock=an abortionPursuit of Happyness is the only decent movie I've ever seen Smith in.

I have only seen a few Will Smith movies, but I've heard that he is actually a good dramatic actor. He has been nominated for an Academy Award for twice. I have seen The Pursuit of Happyness (He was excellent in it) but I havent seen Ali.Is he good in Ali?

Spider-Man bombing won't make Sony reverting the rights to Disney/Marvel. It's too valueable of a property for them to let go this way. I want TASM to succeed exactly because I want to see amazing Spider-Man movies and, hopefully, Marvel and the other studios getting some sort of agreement about how to make these characters coexist in the same universe. If it doesn't happen, well, if TASM is a brilliant movie, why the hell to boycott it? This isn't smart thinking in my opinion.

The Spider-Man fanboys "boycotting" this film won't be able to help themselves but watch it in some other way. Either via illegal torrent or DVD/Cable. Which means, if the film is good, they will end up being the first in line for the second film. No matter what, Sony will end up winning.

I'm with doublejack.ID4=crapMen in Black=crapWild Wild West=horrendousBad Boys II=awfulShark Tale=unfunny shitI Am Legend=started out well and turned to shitHancock=an abortionPursuit of Happyness is the only decent movie I've ever seen Smith in.

I agree with most except ID4(A-) and MIB(B).. And I'd say I Am Legend turned to a mediocre film at the end. I hate Hancock with a passion. I, Robot was OK. I would actually describe Will Smith's resume as just that: "OK" in general. Some bright spots, but most of his films are mediocre to just flat out bad(WWW, Hancock, BB2 MIB2).

The Spider-Man fanboys "boycotting" this film won't be able to help themselves but watch it in some other way. Either via illegal torrent or DVD/Cable. Which means, if the film is good, they will end up being the first in line for the second film. No matter what, Sony will end up winning.

If this has a feel of its own, and it is not a complete shot for shot remake of the original, then i will see the next one. But I am so opposed to this one that I can't bring myself to see it until DVD.

It will eventually. The licensing deal states that Sony has to keep making Spider-Man movies by a certain number of years, or else the rights revert back to Marvel. I believe it's 5 years for Spiderman and Ghostrider (the deals with Fox are different). No one knows except Sony and Marvel/Disney, but Ghostrider 2 was rushed for that reason.Disney isn't agreeing to have these characters co-exist in their universe. There is no reason for them to do that. Why should they do that when they can keep all the profits when the characters revert? When the properites fail, then they get them back completely, can integrate the characters into their universe, and keep all the profits. Disney is in this for the long run, so they will never agree to co-exist with the other studios. They will just paitnetly wait for the other studios to have a few bombs on their hands, then reboot the character.In my opinion, boycotting those movies is the smartest thing if you want Marvel to have the movie rights to all of their characters. That may not be your goal. You might not care that there are marvel characters that can't exist in the MCU. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wish more people felt the way I do. Because that's the only way Spiderman will ever be in the Avengers.

Agreed, but it's just silly to me. TASM seems to have a lot of potential and I can see getting a hell lot of steam, so the fanboys "boycottying" won't play an effect really, all it needs is to have good WOM and reviews resulting of being a bad ass Spider-Man movie. I'm very confident about TASM and I feel like TA will play a huge effect on this movie success if the reviewers like it enough.

I don't hate Smith, but I am obviously not a huge fan of his work either. I rather enjoyed I Am Legend, and for a chick flick I think Hitch is pretty good. I don't blame him for some of the duds he's been in.When it comes to rating movies I can be pretty harsh, but I'm also consistent. MIB is not very different from WWW.... much like Michael Bay, the works of Sonnenfeld are mostly the same. Why one film gained wide acceptance and 2 sequels while the other was almost universally trashed is beyond me. They're far more alike than they are different, primarly because they suck.As far as ID4, the movies I compare it to are Battle for LA, The Day After Tomorrow, The Day The Earth Stood Still and we can now add Battleship to the list. All complete, utter, so bad they're laughable... shit. They aren't entertaining, and I feel dumber after viewing such a film.