16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade i

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A great film with some very very cool momentsfrom rivers "my turn"... to Washs "Im a leaf on the wind watch how i soar" and Mals "they wont see this coming"Ii think i love it more every time i rewatch it.... A+

• Like 1

I saw this film as a huge fan of "Firefly". I didn't catch it during it's initial run, but I watched the series in its entirety several times before "Serenity" came out. The origin of the Reavers was a fantastic storyline. And this was the only film I've ever seen where the fate of the main characters TRULY felt endangered. Whedon really cranked up the stakes by killing not one, but TWO of the MAIN FREAKING CHARACTERS. This wasn't a red-shirt death. It wasn't even a Agent Coulson death. This was the equivalent of Sulu and Bones getting killed in an official Trek film. During the climax, I seriously felt EVERY character was at risk of being killed. No one was safe. And the threat was intense for me. I thoroughly love this universe, and I hope that Whedon will someday use his new-found clout to revisit the survivors of this series.

• Like 1

Thanks for adding this Baumer. I really enjoyed this even though I hadn't seen the entire TV series. For me it really worked well as a stand alone movie. I'm actually working my way through the series for the first time right NOW and am currently up to "Trash".

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

All fixed. Anyway, I've now watched the whole series of Firefly for the first time. I can now see that the movie reboots aspects of the TV series. Especially River and Simon's back story. Interesting piece of trivia. In the TV series Zac Efron had his first role playing a young Simon Tam in flashback.

• Like 1

Love this movie. It's basically season 2 of Firefly compressed down to 100 minutes, and inevitably (especially in the first half) suffers from that. But so what? It's got bags of humour, heart, 3 dimensional characters you genuinely care about, real science fiction ideas, a fantastic antagonist, the inevitable Joss Whedon Death.In other words, it's got everything you could want as a fan of the TV show, or just as a fan of this type of movie.Grade: A.

• Like 1

Firefly doesn't translate very well to the beats a feature film needs. It feels half like a movie and half like an extended episode and the pacing suffers likewise. But yeah, who cares? It's a priviledge to spend two more hours in Whedon's world with this ensemble.

• Like 1

This was the film that gave me hope in Avengers. Ive never seen firefly but I still managed to get into this. It had great characters and it's witty script and interesting story kept me gripped all the way through. Also considering the small budget, this film had scenes that came close to rivalling some of Lucas's work on the star wars movies. This film showed just how talented Whedon is. The film just seemed very well made and the camera movement in the opening credit scene was good enough to make Spielberg proud. Great movieA

• Like 1

I saw this film as a huge fan of "Firefly". I didn't catch it during it's initial run, but I watched the series in its entirety several times before "Serenity" came out.The origin of the Reavers was a fantastic storyline. And this was the only film I've ever seen where the fate of the main characters TRULY felt endangered. Whedon really cranked up the stakes by killing not one, but TWO of the MAIN FREAKING CHARACTERS. This wasn't a red-shirt death. It wasn't even a Agent Coulson death. This was the equivalent of Sulu and Bones getting killed in an official Trek film. During the climax, I seriously felt EVERY character was at risk of being killed. No one was safe. And the threat was intense for me. I thoroughly love this universe, and I hope that Whedon will someday use his new-found clout to revisit the survivors of this series.

Wasn't the pilot's death, only to give River a bigger part, if there was a sequel. But the Preacher's death was interesting.PS. Talking about the Preacher, he must have had an interesting back-story - thinking of all his great scenes and comments from the tv series.

He has one of the best lines in the TV series. "If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

It's alright, but kinda disappointing compared to the series. Still, a decent conclusion for what it's worth; obviously a whole season distilled to two hours. Worth your time if you're a fan, not if you're not. B