darthdevidem01

Been 7 Years Since Ep 3 ROTS!

As a movie it works better than TPM/AOTC. Then again, most films work better than TPM/AOTC.Palpatine is a fun villain though.

99% of films work better than those two.Any scene with Vader/Luke was really well done (although Vader being "redeemed" was completely not plausible, especially since he had been trying to kill his own son for years), but the Ewoks are honestly among the top ten worst cinematic creations of all time. They were a monstrosity and really brought the film down. I cannot even imagine what was going on in Lucas' head.

Why give out something so poor, though? When you have money and realize your story is cared about, then why do something so stupid when you can obviously come up with something better?But that's his undoing. ANH/ESB are the only SW films that are loved, the others aren't. And Lucas complained about the fanboys, yet all he needs to do is watch the series and he'll immediately understand why.He's a below average filmmaker, and most of the movie-going public realizes that.

I don't think Lucas was ever a good filmmaker. American Graffiti and THX-1138 weren't good movies, plagued by the same lack of tension and pacing issues of the prequels, and A New Hope reportedly had serious problems until Marcia Lucas and a host of colleagues recut the movie. But at least during the OT he was a competent filmmaker.

So much has been said about this man and this series that I don't think I have anything new to add. I could only imagine what goes through this guy's head though, especially in the last 15 years.

Edited by Gopher

• Founder / Operator

Lucas is responsible for some of the best movie memories of my life. I have total respect for him in that manner, but I feel its very fair to say that he's a stronger storyteller than a director. And that's totally fine -- very few writers/directors are equally good at both which is one reason that so few ever do both successfully. After all, there's a reason that Empire and Jedi are so beloved in comparison to the prequels --- he wrote the stories, but he didn't direct them.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Anakin's turn was fine. It was set up in AOTC that he a) thought a dictatorship was a good system of government, b ) wanted more power, c) mistrusted Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council and thought they were holding him back and d) would do anything to save the life of a loved one. Put all that together with the event of ROTS and his motivation for turning to the dark side is easy to understand, if not forgive. I don't get why people have a problem with Anakin's turn but are fine with Harvey Dent's in TDK, which had far less motivation.

have to disagree. The original trilogy made out Anakin Skywalker to be a good guy whose fall to the dark side was a huge shock. Here, they basically made Anakin to be a devious person right from the beginning. Not to mention him killing kids so he could "possibly" save his wife was just idiotic.

I'm not a big fan of SW (I prefer the Star Trek reboot over any Star Wars), but I think ROTS (B+) is a very good movie indeed, followed by ESB (B). ROTJ is the only truly bad and boring...Note: I'm not a fan o Star Trek either, the only ST that I watched was the reboot.

I don't think Lucas was ever a good filmmaker. American Graffiti and THX-1138 weren't good movies, plagued by the same lack of tension and pacing issues of the prequels, and A New Hope reportedly had serious problems until Marcia Lucas and a host of colleagues recut the movie. But at least during the OT he was a competent filmmaker.

THX was basically an art-house movie, so it's not really fair to complain about it being slow-paced. Graffiti and ANH were both very well-directed movies. Graffiti was just as groundbreaking as Star Wars in its own way, pretty much inventing nostalgia as far as movies were concerned. People forget that Lucas was Oscar nominated for his writing AND directing for both those movies. Certainly not the sign of a bad filmmaker, no matter what you think of his later movies. Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 1

No what? TPM would have made $500m+ with Imax/3D, AOTC close to $400m and ROTS close to $450m. It's science.

this

If the prequels had opened as wide as regular blockbusters

....in fans mind only that SW movies would have grossed more because a bigger theater counts Edited by Goffeweenie

ROTS is awesome, Lucas is a genius and I miss Star Wars. We need more Star Wars but Lucas should give the creative part to someone who knows their stuff. Writing, directing, casting, give it to some real talent that loves Star wars and udnerstands what work and what didn`t and why.

ROTS is awesome, Lucas is a genius and I miss Star Wars. We need more Star Wars but Lucas should give the creative part to someone who knows their stuff. Writing, directing, casting, give it to some real talent that loves Star wars and udnerstands what work and what didn`t and why.

Agreed. I still wish they'd make Episode 7, 8, and 9.

Lucas can still come up with great characters and stories. But he definitely should have handed the directing and screenwriting duties over to someone else. Imagine if the prequels had been written and directed by someone like Joss Whedon . . .

i love it, its still one of my best premieres memories at the cinema!it was a special preview 2viewings on a wednesday night before the weekend opening (saw it in french) and i got my ticket bought it the day before and guy told me i was lucky as this viewing had few seats left and the other one was full, it was super fun there was a buzzing as we waited to enter and once the logo came on the whole room went quiet at the end film was met with thunderous applause to quote padme!it was the experience(film&audience sharing) as a whole, and realizing this was it the end of the saga ,and now anakin skywalker arc was truly over...