Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

Everyone on film twitter keeps talking about how this thing has an "all star" cast but outside of Denzel and Pratt I don't see any stars.

With Momoa gone they'll fix that by adding Jai Courtney

• Like 7

Everyone on film twitter keeps talking about how this thing has an "all star" cast but outside of Denzel and Pratt I don't see any stars.

2 stars equal all star cast.

That's...kind of true. Most don't have more than one. Or one at all.

You mean outside of Denzel, right? He is the only name in the cast whose clout is proven. When Pratt makes bank in solo films that are not franchises, we'll talk.

Edited by cochofles

Oh man, that's amazing. I really hope they can use all of it. I'm not sure how composing for film usually works but I was always under the impression that it's done mostly after the film is already edited so you can fit the score to the edited scenes. I really hope they can work his completed music and use it all as written.

It's so lovely to know that his work will always live on even though he's gone far too soon.

Oh man, that's amazing. I really hope they can use all of it. I'm not sure how composing for film usually works but I was always under the impression that it's done mostly after the film is already edited so you can fit the score to the edited scenes. I really hope they can work his completed music and use it all as written.

It's so lovely to know that his work will always live on even though he's gone far too soon.

Well I guess it depends, maybe the script inspired him and he wrote some themes but there s probably still a lot of work to do because the music have to match the final editing of the movie in the end.

Generally you are right, though it's not uncommon for a composer to develop themes and action cues beforehand to help get a sense of the pacing and energy the director is shooting for when the editing comes around.

I don't know how much could end up being used in the film, but hopefully enough so there could be a co-credit or at least an "Additional Themes by James Horner" credit.

• Like 1

A little more information about which character each actor plays:

CS: You’ve been working on “The Magnificent Seven” probably since I last saw you. How’s that going? And is there a point where we’ll get to find out who everyone is playing? You have all these great actors but I’m not sure it’s been revealed which actor is playing which character.

Antoine Fuqua: Yeah, Denzel’s the Yul Brynner character and it’s going great. Ethan Hawke, do you remember in the original “Mag 7” the guy that wouldn’t shoot? Who’s the actor’s name, the original guy? Robert Vaughn played the guy that didn’t shoot, and Ethan Hawke’s that guy, then Vincent Donofrio is Horne. And then Charles Bronson’s character (Bernardo O’Reilly), well that’s more of a Vincent Donofrio character, Horne. James Coburn’s character is a guy Lee Byun-hun. He’s a Korean actor that was in “Terminator” and the “G.I. Joe” movies, “Bittersweet Life.” Very cool man, very cool actor. He’s playing that role. Chris Pratt is the Steve McQueen role (Vin Tanner), so it’s a lot of fun.

CS: So there are a lot of correlations to the original movie?

Antoine Fuqua: Yeah, absolutely. It’s a true Western that’s for sure.

From this article.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1