Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

How have I not consciously realized until this moment that this is not just a Denzel-Fuqua reunion but a Denzel-Fuqua-Hawke Training Day one too. Now I really wish Hawke was playing Pratt's role.

Cuz Hawke's barely in the released footage

Mag7 ranks 2nd after Fantastic Beasts in Fandango's most anticipated fall movie survey. So that's nice.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/08/24/fantastic-beasts-leads-fandango-most-anticipated-fall-movies/89205544/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Top 5 are:

1. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
2. The Magnificent Seven 
3.  Doctor Strange
4. The Girl on the Train 
5.  Moana 

And yay, another vignette. This time it's Vincent D'Onofrio's chracter.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Mag7 ranks 2nd after Fantastic Beasts in Fandango's most anticipated fall movie survey. So that's nice.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/08/24/fantastic-beasts-leads-fandango-most-anticipated-fall-movies/89205544/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Top 5 are:

1. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
2. The Magnificent Seven 
3.  Doctor Strange
4. The Girl on the Train 
5.  Moana 

And yay, another vignette. This time it's Vincent D'Onofrio's chracter.

Fandango's Most Anticipated List has always been shaky. 

Their 2016 Poll...

1.      Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)
2.      Finding Dory (June 17)
3.      Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25)
4.      Untitled Jason Bourne Movie (July 29)
5.      Captain America: Civil War (May 6)
6.      Star Trek Beyond (July 22)
7.      Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)
8.      X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27)
9.      Zoolander No. 2 (February 12)
10.     The Jungle Book (April 15)

Their Summer 2016 Poll with Independence Day as the #2 Action Film and SS in 5th.  (Though they were close in nailing Family Film Top 5)

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/“captain-america-civil-war”-“finding-dory”-and-“ghostbusters”-voted-most-anticipated-summer

30 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Hey, I'll take any positive indication I can get. I'm rooting for this movie and right now it feels very muted to me. 

I see mostly positive reactions, but I see very few of them. Maybe I just got used to following tentpoles and this isn't it, but right now I'm hoping there's a lot of interest that for some reason just isn't reflected on social media.

:unsure:

23 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Hey, I'll take any positive indication I can get. I'm rooting for this movie and right now it feels very muted to me. 

I see mostly positive reactions, but I see very few of them. Maybe I just got used to following tentpoles and this isn't it, but right now I'm hoping there's a lot of interest that for some reason just isn't reflected on social media.

:unsure:

It is because you are at end of summer and Sony is concentrated on Don't Breathe right now but will shift to Magnificent Seven leading into their big premiere at TIFF.  You will likely see a huge campaign that starts next week with the college football and NFL football kicking off.  

• Like 2

On 8/24/2016 at 2:01 PM, JennaJ said:

Vincent D will clearly be the highlight of this film.

After the deflated balloon of a summer we've had, I could see this being a breakout surprise, if it connects with audiences. 

• Like 1

Here's a review from someone who already saw the movie. Just one man's opinion of course but it is the first one I've seen.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2016/08/i-knew-this-before-i-heard-it/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

some quotes:

“I was pleasantly surprised how watchable it was. Denzel Washington (i.e., Yul Brynner) and Chris Pratt (i.e., Steve McQueen) are perfect fits for this material, and the p.c. gang — which includes a Mexican, an Asian, a Cajun, a Native American and a bearded fat man — are fun to watch.

“Peter Sarsgard overacts a bit too much as the bad guy — a mining owner taking over a small town — but he’s not onscreen enough to make a big difference. Never a dull moment in the film. It looks like a hit, especially with the popcorn crowd. My guess is you’ll hate it.”

I asked, “Why will I hate it?”

“I just think it’s not your kind of movie,” he answered. “Loud, violent, a bit over-amped. Plus you are not a fan of Fuqua’s work. Nonetheless I found it entertaining, and God knows it could have been awful. It’s not.”

“But I still thought the film was fun. And so did my wife. We accepted it for what it’s meant to be — a big budget Hollywood extravaganza meant to provide two hours of mindless entertainment for a mass audience. I don’t see a problem with that as long as the film is well made. This one is.”

The review is mostly positive, and about what I'm expecting to hear - fun big movie, crowd pleaser etc. 

Not expecting a critical darling by any stretch but a 60-70 on RT sounds about right.

Edited by JennaJ

On 8/24/2016 at 2:07 PM, TalismanRing said:

Their 2016 Poll...

1.      Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)
2.      Finding Dory (June 17)
3.      Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25)
4.      Untitled Jason Bourne Movie (July 29)
5.      Captain America: Civil War (May 6)
6.      Star Trek Beyond (July 22)
7.      Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)
8.      X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27)

9.      Zoolander No. 2 (February 12)
10.     The Jungle Book (April 15)

Their Summer 2016 Poll with Independence Day as the #2 Action Film and SS in 5th.  (Though they were close in nailing Family Film Top 5)

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/“captain-america-civil-war”-“finding-dory”-and-“ghostbusters”-voted-most-anticipated-summer

Half of the list didn't pull in huge grosses. ID2 and Zoolander 2 being on the list is enough to disqualify it. 

2 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Half of the list didn't pull in huge grosses. ID2 and Zoolander 2 being on the list is enough to disqualify it. 

Half of the list made or will make $330m+ domestic

3 more made $150m+ domestic

1 made $100m+ domestic

1 was an outright bomb.