Neo

Captain Marvel | 8 MARCH 2019 | 5th most profitable movie of 2019.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Still young and a lot of money ahead to enter Sam Jackson type of not caring about what people think.

Ah. So, your point is that if she was a guy she'd be naturally confident and relaxed in front of the crowd? I don't really think you're saying that, but it could come across that way. I assume you're not saying that someone has to be a 30+ year veteran of the screen, appear in 100+ movies and literally be the highest grossing actor of all time?

Edit - To be clear, I think she's perfectly capable of handling herself and saying "Oh, she's just a poor young actress" is demeaning.

Edited by Wrath

38 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Don't even try it. My comment was fact.

Give me one example of a male actor and their individual interviews being dissected like this. ONE.

Tom Cruise on Oprah?

Crispin Glover on Letterman?

Justin Bieber has had a bunch.

Mel Gibson has had a bunch.

That's just off the top of my head and not even going into ones that were almost certainly intentional like Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman.

16 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Ah. So, your point is that if she was a guy she'd be naturally confident and relaxed in front of the crowd?

Edit - To be clear, I think she's perfectly capable of handling herself and saying "Oh, she's just a poor young actress" is demeaning.

Was much more about age (when the prefrontal cortex let go a little bit) than gender, not sure what so poor about having so much scrutiny that it make it really stressful for many to do interview for your megablockbuster, it is just the case.

5 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Tom Cruise on Oprah?

I really do not know about Bieber, but compare what those had to do to get attention, it was not about the % of screentime they were smiling or not.

• Like 2

Tom Cruise on Oprah?

That's just off the top of my head and not even going into ones that were almost certainly intentional like Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman.

the crispin glover one i'm pretty sure was intentional too. he was dressed up like a character from some movie he was in that hadn't come out yet that's why it was confusing to everyone. he was for sure going for some kind of weird andy kaufman type bit.

• Like 2

Days # CM JW2 CM-JW2
3 153.43 148.02 5.41
10 264.88 265.70 -0.82
17   333.39  

JW2 being summer makes looking at weekends pointless so looking at Mon-Sun weekly increments (1st week naturally is only Fri-Sun).

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I really do not know about Bieber, but compare what those had to do to get attention, it was not about the % of screentime they were smiling or not.

Oh, so you're saying that in show-biz, a world where public awareness is a huge part of how valuable you are, its way easier for women to get attention than men?

Edit - Look, I'll admit that I'm semi-trolling you here, but only partially. On the one hand, I totally don't care how she did in the interview. I didn't even know it existed until this morning, when I watched it because people said it was awful, and I posted *defending* the interview. IMO, it was fine and not really worthy of comment, and until you guys said so I had no idea commenting on Ms Larson's interview was a thing.

However, I do feel like some of the people who are rushing to defend her are really patronizing her. The woman is a 29-year old Oscar-winner who has been ~20 movies stretching back to when she was a kid. If she's nervous during an interview and the interview was merely fine, then that's the way it goes and its not a big deal. On the other hand, saying that this incredibly accomplished person couldn't possibly be expected to deliver a good interview because she's so young and under so much pressure feels tremendously demeaning to me.

Edited by Wrath

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the crispin glover one i'm pretty sure was intentional too. he was dressed up like a character from some movie he was in that hadn't come out yet that's why it was confusing to everyone. he was for sure going for some kind of weird andy kaufman type bit.

I have to admit I'd always wondered if that was the case. He always had the reputation for being weird, but that was like "he's having a breakdown on screen" level weird rather than just regular-weird or one of the interviews where the person seems drunk or stoned.

Oh, so you're saying that in show-biz, a world where public awareness is a huge part of how valuable you are, its way easier for women to get attention than men?

For young and good looking one at least, on some part of the Internet generating click-bait yes, you get way more content. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

Tom Cruise on Oprah?

Walked right in to the trap. Congrats.

Four complete lunatics/problematic derelicts that were rightfully called our for behavior ranging from disturbing to violent. Thanks for proving my point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Walked right in to the trap. Congrats.

Four complete lunatics/problematic derelicts that were rightfully called our for behavior ranging from disturbing to violent. Thanks for proving my point.

Apparently the Crispin Glover one was staged so I'll pull that one.

Beyond that, Bieber's old ones are mostly people openly mocking him for being an idiot. Have you watched the one where Letterman makes him name the continents? I'm going to guess that if Ms Lawson was a teenager, and an old white male interviewer pretty strongly implied she was an idiot on-air you wouldn't be so quick to side with the interviewer.

Also, what was so disturbing about the Cruise one? Sure, its been *labeled* disturbing and "problematic", and to be clear, I absolutely can't stand Scientology. But Cruise himself is mostly just overly energetic. If you watch the whole thing, its the vibe of the whole interview. He and Oprah energetically high-five each other multiple times during the interview and the crowd *loves it*.

Plus, you talk about interviews being dissected and the attention. If you Google "Jimmy Kimmel interview" the one with Larson isn't among the top 10 listed. If you Google "Brie Larson Marvel Interview", the one with Jimmy Kimmel isn't one of the first 10 listed. If you Google "Brie Larson bad interview" the first story listed is the IrishTimes interview where she complains about "always being interviewed by 40-year old white dudes", the second is from Vox and is on how Marvel and Brie Larson beat the trolls, and the third is from TheMarySue talking about how Brie Larson shouldn't have to explain her complaints about critics. The stories are mostly about how effective she's been in beating trolls and critics.

Seriously, where is all of this nitpicking happening? Did I miss the 7 minutes on Twitter when it was a thing? If you look for any of the ones I mention on guys, they're WAY easier to find.

Edited by Wrath

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson having some fun on Twitter. 

Didn't occur to me until you posted this, but the MCU *really* needs to do a movie on a team-up between the two of them, as a counter-part to Thor: Ragnarok.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Brie Larson and Tessa Thompson having some fun on Twitter. 

Very cute

• Like 5

Just watched CM and it's a solid 7.5/10 movie. The first act was bit boring but from the 2nd act the movie takes off and is really enjoyable. The jokes were not that funny as other MCU movies. Goose was great. Also Brie Larson and SLJ were fantastic. Their bonding was really good. The villain was - I don't know how should I say it, It's anticlimactic I thought like there was no villain at all. After the first mid credit science everyone in the theatre clapped. Brie Larson got loudest cheer when turned into super saiyan :kane:

8 hours ago, Wrath said:

She’s a 29-year old Oscar-winning actress, not a 14-year old......

You can be a 70y multi award winning actor and still be nervous before every stage / public appearance.

E.g. stage fright is not something ppl can simply switch off

I do not know why people seemingly think being an actor means being an 'entertaining' person also, generally speaking, that is not specific meant about that clip.

People speak about professionalism, but 'entertainment quibs' have in my POV nothing to do with the professionalism of doing acting in a movie or TV series or on stage.

On the other way around, not every stand-up comedian, or moderator of a 'TV-speaking-show' is an actor also.

Some ppl are introvertd, some the opposite. Everyone reacts in another way based on personality, past experience and 1000s of other details in the mix.

Dont see this as a critic/contra, I think it as an addition to what was said.

• Like 3

Thats not a bad interview, this is a bad interview.....:hahaha:

On the Captain Marvel + trolls topic, SOMEONE who knows their shit is having a smart, rational discussion about it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

On the Captain Marvel + trolls topic, SOMEONE who knows their shit is having a smart, rational discussion about it.

That video image is probably the best image I have seen of her.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wrath said:

Tom Cruise on Oprah?

Those examples are of people going cuckoo. Stupid comparison.