MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Captain Marvel | 8 MARCH 2019 | Brie Larson, Samuel L Jackson, Clark Gregg.

4 hours ago, andersonhoran said:

Awesome. I just know the Maria/Carol/Monica dynamic will be my favorite thing about this movie. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

[Mod Edit:Quote removed]

I don't know anything about the above incident but it's hardly "dumb sjw bs" to want to ensure marginalized folks get better access, particularly when they've complained in the past about a lack of access. It's wholly ridiculous that anyone would complain about this...certainly no surprise, however. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonder89 said:

:ohmygod:

I don’t have a problem with the idea on its own, but it there’s one thing these past few years have taught me, it’s that preaching about diversity never ends well as far as the Internet is concerned...

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Awesome. I jutst know the Maria/Carol/Monica dynamic will be my favorite thing about this movie. 

Maria is in this film? Shes what 12? Top secret agent!

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t have a problem with the idea on its own, but it there’s one thing these past few years have taught me, it’s that preaching about diversity never ends well as far as the Internet is concerned...

Ha. It never goes over well with those who want to cling to their privilege. The rest of us embrace it. 

2 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Ha. It never goes over well with those who want to cling to their privilege. The rest of us embrace it. 

I don’t know. Have you seen the dislikes on that Gillette commercial?  

5 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Unfortunately after 20 movies exclusively led by men, the MCU fanbase includes many dudebros who will feel threatened by these comments.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know. Have you seen the dislikes on that Gillette commercial?  

Youtube dislikes? Surely, this isn't proof that one shouldn't discuss or prioritize diversity? 

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What? She just said he was being a creep and it really is creepy as fuck. Who asks for the phone number of someone they have never even spoken to. Why don't you try doing that to some random woman on the street? Let's see if you get a phone number or a mark on your face.

It's a joke. I doubt he was seriously hoping to get her number. 

Sucks that was Brie Larson. I remember the incident well but didn't know it was her. Unfortunately I like her a lot less now. Ah well, still looking forward to the film! Gotta separate that from real life or you can't enjoy anything.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time," said Larson. "It wasn’t made for him."

• Like 1

[Mod Edit:Quote Removed]

She didn't know him personally, had no interest in doing so and you blame her for feeling like he was trying to get in her pants against her will?

And I say this as a straight white male himself who in all likelihood would consider giving my number to an attractive female I hadn't known for a long time: y'all need to stop looking at the world from your fucking perspective and try to see things from other people's perspectives for a change (assuming that these aren't irredeemable perspectives, for the record).

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

wasn't it Brie Larson who said that white male critics should not be allowed to review A Wrinkle In Time ?

no, she said something entirly other. As she said also in this case, but a certain % seems to be very insecure, not willing toread without bias or .... whyever ppl try to twist something into something else

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Mod Edit: It is not the job of a TSA agent to in a personal capacity ask the phone number of a member of the public.

It was not a 'random' airport worker (interesting how ppl change a situation with such kind of wordings)

A passenger can not avoid a security portal, as such that's a misuse of his position to ask someone for a number in an environment where a human being should be secure not to experience such.

She was not in a bar known for looking out for that.

He implied by this her being into one-night stands and / or going with a total stranger.... forgot the term, being a simple to have / get.

Why I am not surprised about what a certain % tries to make out of that?

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

[Mod Edit:Quote deleted]

I just looked up this so-called "controversy" you're talking about. She said a TSA security guard asked for her number. That is a breach of privacy because abusing their position of authority. If that is true, the worker should be sacked from their job. I really hope you are not seriously defending that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Meh unless Brie Larson has done something illegal or said something horrifying whatever she says on social media will have little impact on how Captain Marvel does no matter how much the internet hates how outspoken she is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What I'm saying is, why can't a 40 year old white male review AWiT? Why can't a 40 year old black woman review The Expendables? Don't make things about race that aren't about race.

It's not that they can't, rather, it's much more likely that a 40 year old white man won't "get" what makes AWIT different or special or will be quicker to dismiss what makes it different or special. Now, I don't think AWIT is a good movie but I can tell you, as a woman of color, I wouldn't have based my decision to see it or not on the review of a 40 year old white man. But  that's the demo who dominates critic circles and that's a problem. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Again, you missed the point. The guy was unprofessional, but it wasn't "sexual assault/misconduct" and she shouldn't play victim and call herself "survivor", this is just stupid. She didn't have a problem with passing security portal, so there's no accident, she refused to give a number and that's it.

I'm not sure how the law is in USA but here, that would not be unprofessional it would be flat out illegal for a staff to do that. breach of data protection.

• Like 1

[Mod Edit:Quote deleted]

If she feels she was harassed - and I know women who see harassment as assault/abuse in its own right - she's in her right to feel that way. I agree that it may have been an overreaction, but you weren't in her shoes to properly judge on what the fuck she felt like. And I'm not sure if you realize that a lot of women are not totally okay with some random guy they don't know asking them their numbers, but whatever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

They're reviewing movies. So no, for me a black person's opinion on Black Panther does NOT matter more. You're basically admitting that you want biased reviews.

Reviews are opinions. You can listen to whoever you want, but don't act like black panther is not more important for black people. And don't talk about biased with your fanboyism about MCU movies. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Meh unless Brie Larson has done something illegal or said something horrifying whatever she says on social media will have little impact on how Captain Marvel does no matter how much the internet hates how outspoken she is. 

I mean, all those viral tweets about Gal being a terrible person didn't seem to have any effect on Wonder Woman's success, so yeah... 

Like seriously who cares what she's like on social media? As long as she gives a good performance then I'm perfectly happy.