MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Captain Marvel | 8 MARCH 2019 | Brie Larson, Samuel L Jackson, Clark Gregg.

Posted (edited)

$150M OW but low multiplier.

Muted audience, people just wanted it to be over. Definitely threw the PC stuff at us. "I am woman, hear me roar" and all that. Probably needed a different director(s). Brie Larson is awesome as always and worked with what she had. 

With a $150M OW, $300M would seemingly be assured.  I don't expect much more. The Sunday drop will be very telling. I think the declines will be steep. As flawed as the various audience/critic ratings are, there seems to be a consensus that this was a miss. 

Edited by lilmac
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 4

Posted (edited)

Saw it. This is the first ever MCU movie I won't be seeing more than once. I've seen even the worst at least two times - and the best up to SEVEN or more times each.

Marvel made a terrible mistake - they should never have thought of hiring those nobody directors.

That being said, the movie has just one major flaw - and it has nothing to do with what you people (both sides) are talking all this time about. The problem is: it is just so incredibly bland and boring VISUALLY! From the first time I saw the first teaser, I proclaimed here this will be the first BAD Marvel - and I was right. There was practically nothing visually pleasing - not in the trailers, and alas not in the movie.

Why is this so bad? First, because for the Shay the visuals are everything (or nearly there). And second: all the MCU movies SO FAR, even the weakest, have had some eye candy that made me see them again. Here's another Shay formula that explains it:

*Good visuals + average fun (humour/characters) = 2 viewings (Hulk, IM2, Thor 1, Cap 1, Antman 1, Spider-man 1)

*Good visuals + good fun = 3 viewings (Avengers 1, 2, 2.5, 3, Guardians 2, Black Panther)

*Good visuals + great fun = 4 viewings (IM1, IM3, Antman 2)

*Great visuals + average fun = no such combination possible :) if the visuals are great, they become the fun themselves

*Great visuals + good fun = 5 viewings (Cap2 Winter Soldier, Dr. Strange, Thor 2)

*Great visuals + great fun = 6+ viewings (Thor 3, Guardians 1 +ALITA!!)

And now, what happens in the unlikely (till now) unfortunate event that gives us average visuals in the MCU??!! :( Well, as you expected:

*Average visuals + average fun = only 1 viewing TOPS (Captain Marvel)

*Average visuals + good fun = STILL only 1 viewing (Venom)

*Average visuals + great fun = might make me see it again, but no such movie exists, as the chart explained.

Edited by shayhiri

This movie was so terrible that I left the theater as soon as it was completely over. 

When I see a GOOD movie I usually spend the night in the auditorium.

#CraptainMarvel 

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

I am looking forward to see what kind of drops this will have in the next few weeks. With so many reports of mediocrity and with a consensus slowly emerging of this being only so-so, you would think that this will not get great legs or repeat viewings, but you never know.

Posted (edited)

Other than the visuals, the movie was OK, even fun most of the time.

I was right in my expectations that the trailers distorted the image of the main character. She indeed looked like an insufferable b!tch in all the trailers - I don't know who and why did this at Disney - but in the movie, of course, they went the safe way, just like with Black Panther, so she is pretty much OK, even likable. All the supporting cast is even better. The story has some nice turns (even when the main one was inherently spoiled), many of the laughs landed (some of them indeed failed) - so if I convince myself that I might want to have a second look at those mostly miserable visuals, I'll see CM again in two weeks.

Do yourselves a favour and forget all talk about anti/feminism and so on. There's nothing like that even remotely present in this pretty average movie. It was an illusion, a DIVERSION - most probably initiated by Disney for free publicity. The basic males took the bait - attacked, and you can see the result: an average movie made even MORE than it would (and should) have - because of the free exposure the stupid haters provided.

Take it one more time from the old and experienced Shay:

There

Is

No

Bad

Publicity!!

Especially if you have a product that lives or dies on the extent of capturing the public attention at a certain point in time.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I am looking forward to see what kind of drops this will have in the next few weeks. With so many reports of mediocrity and with a consensus slowly emerging of this being only so-so, you would think that this will not get great legs or repeat viewings, but you never know.

The CinemaScore rating is an A, that doesn’t exactly say “mediocrity” in terms of WOM.

• Like 4

People clapped at the end of my viewing. Crowd seemed to really like it. I thought it was pretty fun. Brie Larson is a great addition to the MCU.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

People clapped at the end of my viewing. Crowd seemed to really like it. I thought it was pretty fun. Brie Larson is a great addition to the MCU.

Yeah, there was applause at multiple points during my showing too. Not sure why it’s been decided there a “so-so” consensus for WoM. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

Yeah, there was applause at multiple points during my showing too. Not sure why it’s been decided there a “so-so” consensus for WoM. 

'Cause people have an agenda and are willing to scream as loud as they can to try and make it so that's the narrative on the internet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The people in the showing I went to seemed to like the movie fine. It certainly wasn’t like when I saw BvS, where there was dead silence for the entirety of the film. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The people in the showing I went to seemed to like the movie fine. It certainly wasn’t like when I saw BvS, where there was dead silence for the entirety of the film. 

“Captain Marvel: it’s better than BvS!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This Sunday afternoon audience loved it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Had fun as I watched it, Brie was fine but both her and the action needed much better directing.

Visually it was meh with the expection of airship dog flights, deaging effects we're impressive, Talos rules.

And screw whomever came up with the idea for how Fury lost his eye. It made me groan audibly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

there's no signals of this haven't decent legs

• Like 1

Signs are that the “poor reception narrative” isn’t holding up. Given it opened back on Wednesday evening in Australia and it’s having massive Saturday and Sunday numbers WOM seems pretty solid. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

This movie was so terrible that I left the theater as soon as it was completely over. 

When I see a GOOD movie I usually spend the night in the auditorium.

#CraptainMarvel 

Why do you spend the night in the auditorium? Haha