Neo

Captain Marvel | 8 MARCH 2019 | Brie Larson, Samuel L Jackson, Clark Gregg.

It was okay. Comparable to Ant-Man in terms of quality and value.

But I'm sure it'll make more than that movie.

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Beat me to it. :circles:

Also, SW had a female lead but that $2b+ was largely built on 30 plus years waiting for the return of Han, Luke & Leia.   There's a reason Ford got like $25m to come back while the lead made about 100k.

I could also say Captain Marvel is getting there because of the MCU and the fact that this is the last movie leading up to the finale of the original four.  Just thinking, but do people really think something like Ant-Man would have been a decent hit if it wasn't in any way tied to the MCU ?

• Like 2

This was incredibly vanilla. Definitely the least enjoyable time at an MCU movie for me in ages. All the beats were beyond generic, and the execution wasn't anything great to make up for it either. I also think the prequel nature hurt it a bit since it felt very constrained and trapped by that in terms of knowing nothing very important was gonna happen. My biggest gripe though is that Larson just simply isn't a moviestar. She's a good actress and I loved her in Room, but she has no inherent charisma to pull off a leading tentpole role like this. Not like a Gadot or ScarJo or Jolie. After such a long wait to an MCU female lead, I feel like they dropped the ball here. Which is something I've really never said about the MCU. At the very least, DCEU sure did the female lead cbm movie far more justice. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Not Cool 1

Just got back from seeing it. 

Everyone enjoyed it. We all agreed it’s on the lower end of our mcu rankings but that’s in large part to do with how many movies they’ve made that we’ve all really liked.

I can see how some people could have issues with it but I’m just not super picky about stuff. I go to the movies to have fun and this was fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just made a date to watch it tomorrow. Came here to hype myself up and got bummed out instead, lol... That was unexpected.

I'll go in expecting a Thor 1.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

79 %. It's definitely low-tier MCU.

What the Shay's been saying all along? Thank you.

I'm not even in a rush to see it. Might wait a few days. Expectations really low. Hopefully it helps.

Edited by shayhiri

Posted (edited)

It's better the second time.  The couple that owns the local comic book store took me today.  Which was wild, cause I thought it was gonna be a group thing, but nope, they just wanted me to go with them!  We all cried at the end.  No, seriously.  He was wiping away his tears; and she was talking about how this is totally what Stan Lee would've wanted, because he was always about pushing the boundaries of what and who could be included in comic book storytelling.  It was just so rewarding.  

Edited by captainwondyful
that owns, not that owners
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

RT score is recovering at 51%. Its rising fast so they may have nuked some new accounts.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Saw the movie, probably one of my least favorite MCU films.  It's not terrible, but I just found it kind of uninspired.  I was so bored in the first 30 minutes of the movie as I just couldn't get into it.  I actually started to get into it once it reached Earth.  Enjoyed SLJ and BL back and forth, but just felt that something was missing from the movie to put it over the top.  Hopeful that the Russos can give Carol a boost as I didn't feel like she had 'Iron Man' or 'Captain America' type 'leadership charisma they probably want for Phase 4.  Of course, especially in RDJ case, that's not a fair standard to hold someone too as he's so iconic at this point and oozes charm.

3/5 or I guess as a grade lets say C+

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 3

I guess people who went into the movie expecting something really "comic booky" might find Captain Marvel a little boring because I felt there was more of an "indie-grounded-SciFi-Star-Trekky" feel to the movie.  It's definitely not like Aquaman with the bigger than life spectacle, with the loudness and explosiveness, in some of the scenes. At times, CM felt more like Prometheus...not sure how many people watched that movie. But yeah, I felt the director could have done a much better job in pacing and piecing the story together. I guess if you walk into the movie without any pre-conceived notions or specific expectations, and watch the film with an open mind, you might enjoy it more.

Personally, I give Captain Marvel a solid 7/8 out 10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, YLF said:

it sucks that cinema score doesn't come out opening day anymore

it got an A

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

Just made a date to watch it tomorrow. Came here to hype myself up and got bummed out instead, lol... That was unexpected.

I'll go in expecting a Thor 1.

Thor 1 was great.

Just saw it. Will have detailed review later. 

Brie is surprisingly good in this. Mendelsohn and Jackson are great too. Jude Law is OK. 

Ronan looked weird. I thought he was played by a different guy but then saw the credit and it really was Lee Pace. 

Goose was awesome. His scenes had the most laugh. Weird story structure. 

Mid credit scene was awesome!!!

for all the controversy over feminism, there was hardly any in it. It didnt feel too preachy at all. Heck even WW had stronger feminism tones than this IMO

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Ronan looked weird. I thought he was played by a different guy but then saw the credit and it really was Lee Pace. 

Probably because he didn't have the black war paint on that he did in GotG and was just plain blue. My friend I went with didn't realise it was Lee Pace until the credits as well and said it was bugging her the whole time.

11 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Thor 1 was great.

Still the best or second best in the MCU. 

CM might be fourth? (after Ragnarok). 

Posted (edited)

Can't believe MCU could sink back to the lows of Iron Man 2 and Thor TDW but here it is.

It was a thoroughly mediocre filler and dramatically inert for the most part.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

79 %. It's definitely lower-tier MCU.

Not good at all for Marvel's great big ode to Female Empowerment. I was expecting it to be firmly ensconced in the 90's, like Wonder Woman (of course, that film had a lot of heart and an extremely likeable lead, while this one...)

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1