cheesypoofs

What if Spider-Man 3 had actually lived up to its hype?

I've always wondered this. I honestly believe that SM3 could've been one of the best movies of all-time. Just my opinion. Definitely would have been one of the best trilogies.

It probably would have been the first $500M film post-Titanic with its massive opening. Spider-Man 4 could've happened and probably would have been released by now.

It would have changed everything had it lived up to its hype.

It will always have great trailers though.

Edited by Cheesy Poofs
  • Like 2

I've wondered about that myself especially seeing The Avengers doing what it's doing. Remember, it still had to face two huge openers in back to back weeks. Great WOM or not, that would've slowed it down a little.I think 500m might have been a stretch, that would have topped the original in ticket sales. But somewhere in the 440-450m seems reasonable. A truly wasted opportunity.

• Like 1

I think we'll pretty much see how it would have played out ... when The Dark Knight Rises releases.

Eh, I'm not sure Nolan can be coaxed into doing a fourth Batman. That's what definitely would've happened if Spider-Man 3 took off.

• Founder / Operator

Eh, I'm not sure Nolan can be coaxed into doing a fourth Batman. That's what definitely would've happened if Spider-Man 3 took off.

I was just answering under the pretense of box office and reception for the most part. I agree, Nolan won't be coming back to his franchise.

• Founder / Operator

I think Spider Man 3 could have made 450-500m if it would been a great film.

Agreed. It would have surpassed $400m without question, especially had Shrek 3 and Pirates 3 still disappointed as they did.What I want to know is how each of "the big three" would have performed had all three actually lived up to the hype that preceded them. I'd imagine Shrek had the least to gain from it whereas Spidey probably had the most...but it opens a wide range of possibilities.

assuming TDKR is a great film it could be another SM3.

This reminds me of 2007, when most people who loved SM2 could not stand the idea it could go the way of X3, Batman Forever or Superman III. Nolan can do no wrong. Then why does Bane look like crap? Why does Catwoman? I'm just saying. The first signs SM3 could be a disappointment came when we saw leaked pics of Venom. Who just looked like black Spider-Man with a mouth. And the "New Goblin" who looked nothing like a goblin. I doubt this will be mediocre like SM3. But it could easily be the level of Insomnia. Good, but not great, like TDK. And if it is...watch out.

To paraphrase Green Goblin:

"And they found you amusing for a while, the people of NolanFans.com. But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you."

This happened to Raimi...it could easily happen to Nolan, if only temporarily.

;)

• Like 1

Nolan can do no wrong. Then why does Bane look like crap? Why does Catwoman?

except... they don't? just my opinion obviously, but I thought the consensus was that they both look fine. was there a big, shared backlash when the pics of Venom were released, or was it just a small group of disappointed fans? i wasn't following these things in 2006/2007 so I don't know.I'd say with the kind of opening it had, SM3 would have at least outdone SM1 domestically and almost certainly become the first comic book movie billionaire. We would have gotten at least one another film from the same team, most likely in May 2010, when it might very well have been badly converted to 3D, but would have broken TDK's OW record regardless and, depending on WOM, finished with around $450m, give or take a couple of dozen million. In the best case scenario, it might have made a run at $500m DOM and ROTK's WW total. After that, Raimi, Maguire and Dunst either would have decided to move on or give it one last go, which we would have seen in 2012 or 2013, all while Andrew Garfield could do nothing but only continue dreaming of playing Spider-Man.

except... they don't? just my opinion obviously, but I thought the consensus was that they both look fine. was there a big, shared backlash when the pics of Venom were released, or was it just a small group of disappointed fans? i wasn't following these things in 2006/2007 so I don't know.

Maybe on NolanFans, but most comments I see are far from glowing about their look. Bane looks like he's wearing something Khan's men would have worn in Star Trek II and Catwoman just looks like a toned down Black Widow with a Halloween mask. I'm sorry, after this:

Posted Image And this: Posted Image

I expected more?

This is a moot point. Considering Raimi wanted no part of Venom and Sony wanted him. There is no way a good movie was coming out of it. Raimi should have been strong enough to tell them that I am not doing the movie with Venom. Raimi is also to blame for muddled mess the plot was from Sandman's ridiculous back story to tiny Topher playing Venom. Bad decisions were made all around.

Agreed. It would have surpassed $400m without question, especially had Shrek 3 and Pirates 3 still disappointed as they did.What I want to know is how each of "the big three" would have performed had all three actually lived up to the hype that preceded them. I'd imagine Shrek had the least to gain from it whereas Spidey probably had the most...but it opens a wide range of possibilities.

It would have been insane had all 3 lived up to hype. Especially considering Transformers was huge as well. 2007 could've easily been the most epic summer of all time had that happened.