cheesypoofs

What if Spider-Man 3 had actually lived up to its hype?

I don't think it would have fared a whole lot better than it did, given just how intense the competition became starting in its third weekend. Let's not forget that even with an excellent reception, Spider-Man 2 made 48% of its domestic total by the end of its extended holiday opening, and that one "only" had to deal with three $50 million openers in a row, as opposed to two more gigantic movies that opened over $100 million in consecutive weekends.I think the place where the movie fell short was that it tried to do way too much, even with its 140-minute running time. And while I still think the first 100 minutes or so are entertaining in spite of their flaws (not the least of which is an inconsistent tone), the last half-hour makes some pretty tremendous mistakes (Topher Grace not being the slightest bit menacing whenever he takes over for the CGI Venom, Mary Jane being kidnapped even though the script never explains how Grace's character could realize her connection to Peter, the scene that makes Alfred's decision to bring Vicki Vale into the Batcave look reasonable by comparison, and that goofy "I just wanna borrow your car" flashback).

SM3 will always be the poster-child for keeping corporate types out of the creative offices. Even moreso than B&R. If Raimi had been allowed to continue to follow his own vision, and not been strong-armed by studio heads that Venom be included, then this franchise would still be going strong. Raimi would have pretty much lost interest after he exhausted the classic rogue's gallery characters. Maguire would have gotten too old to play the part. And we could have seen something along the lines of the Bond franchise where we didn't need a reboot.

400-450m total and Spider-Man 4, 5, and 6. But, when you consider recent film history, I think it was inevitable that SM3 happened the way it did. It's much more common in movie history for second sequels to go too far with what was perceived to make the first films successful. Superman III, Batman Forever, Blade Trinity, X-Men 3 and even TDKR and ROTJ to a smaller extent. May 2007 proved this better than any month in movie history. Of course there are many exceptions, but, in retrospect, SM3's drop in quality should not have surprised anyone.

And it's my opinion that most of the hate for SM3 comes from the shock it wasn't on par with SM2. I realized it probably wasn't going to be as good or better so I liked it for what it was...a typical super hero second sequel.

Edited by Dining on Crow on Krypton™

And it's my opinion that most of the hate for SM3 comes from the shock it wasn't on par with SM2. I realized it probably wasn't going to be as good or better so I liked it for what it was...a typical super hero second sequel.

Not being on par with SM2 would have been more than fine, and even if it weren't as good as SM2, the audiences would have still enjoyed it. It's just a horrible film in so many ways. While it started off decent enough (Sandman with his daughter, and Aunt May giving Peter the ring), it rapidly deescalates into shocking territory. 

Gwen was COMPLETELY pointless and did nothing to further the film whatsoever. MJ/Peter's troubled relationship was like watching paint dry (no chemistry in the film, and her bitchiness was so redundant). So, instead of having Harry grow and develop naturally as a character, Raimi decides to give him amnesia which makes him forget about everything. That is a huge problem with the film, as it is a huge slap in the face to their developing relationship in the previous two films. It negates everything. Which is why his death made almost everyone feel absolutely nothing. Sandman now being the one that killed Uncle Ben? Topher Grace as Venom is one of the most awful casting choices in blockbuster history - how could anyone sane BELIEVE he could be Venom? What a waste. Harry/MJ was so cliched and painful to watch. Emo-Peter dancing? Yikes.

It's a shocking film in a lot of ways. And it completely deserved the enormous collapse it experienced back in 2007. It would have easily had BD1 legs if it were released post-2010. 

To say Sam Raimi stumbled would be a massive understatement. He completely and effectively destroyed the legacy of the OT. The ending is always the most important, and he did nothing but disservice the story and its characters. What a shame for the fans.

• Like 1

SM3 will always be the poster-child for keeping corporate types out of the creative offices. Even moreso than B&R. If Raimi had been allowed to continue to follow his own vision, and not been strong-armed by studio heads that Venom be included, then this franchise would still be going strong. Raimi would have pretty much lost interest after he exhausted the classic rogue's gallery characters. Maguire would have gotten too old to play the part. And we could have seen something along the lines of the Bond franchise where we didn't need a reboot.

Oh please.Raimi both wrote and directed SM3.It was his movie. He deserves much of the credit.

Why do people think SM3 would've made an extra 100 m if it was good?SM2 was better than SM1 and it didn't make more money.The trilogy peaked in public interest with the first movie.Unless SM3 was a TDK-level cultural phenomenon it wasn't going to make much more than SM2.