baumer

Ideas about GI Joe: Now top 11 and top 6 for dom OW

From LA Guy:

Here are my two cents:

Anyone who has G.I. Joe 2 in their Top 12 should be able to replace it with any movie that opens on the same day that the film was supposed to be released or later (so from June 29th on).

Anyone who did not include the film should have the option of changing out any single film in their Top 12 that opens on or after June 29th with any other film that opens on or later than June 29th.

I feel that this might be the fairest way to do it. It gives everyone an equal opportunity.

I disagree that the replacement film has to be put in the #12 spot. That'll affect the outcome too much. For example, I predicted G.I. Joe to be the 8th high grossing film. If I put it at #12, then my current #9-12 will all be bumped up. This could possibly lead to an increase in points for me, so that wouldn't be fair either. I have Snow White at #12. What if it ends up being the 11th highest grossing film? If we go by your idea of automatically putting the new film at #12, I will get points for having Snow White in the right spot, even though I didn't predict that at the beginning of the summer.

I understand your logic because it would only make sense that whatever films you didn't include in your top 12 originally weren't included because you thought the other 12 would obviously gross more, but it will probably affect the rest of our top 12 too much. I think each indivual player should be to make their own choice.

First off, I picked G.I. Joe for my Top 12. I think that we should pick a new movie to go into the Top 12, not necessarily at the bottom. Likewise, I feel that the other 10 people should be given a choice to edit one movie in their Top 12. Perhaps, they can change the gross or swap one out for a different movie.

At this point, we don't really need to set a limit on what movies we can choose for replacement.

Prometheus: 54

Brave: 54

Men In Black 3: 54

Snow White: 53

Almost everyone has the next few weeks worth of movies in their Top 12, so a release date limit has little effect.

How about everyone who had GI Joe in their Top 12, keeps the prediction the same and the position, but changes the film?So, for example, if someone has GI Joe at #7 with $150m, he would just have to replace the 7th slot with a different movie, and keep the $150m the same. I think I predicted some $164m for GI Joe, so I wouldn't mind predicting that same number for a different film, like Ted or whatever.

How about everyone who had GI Joe in their Top 12, keeps the prediction the same and the position, but changes the film?

So, for example, if someone has GI Joe at #7 with $150m, he would just have to replace the 7th slot with a different movie, and keep the $150m the same.

I think I predicted some $164m for GI Joe, so I wouldn't mind predicting that same number for a different film, like Ted or whatever.

No, just no.

A hypothetical case

If I think no other movie this summer can reach, let's say 150 million is my G.I. joe prediction, we would be forced to choose one?

Edited by Goffe Rises
  • Like 1

No, just no.

A hypothetical case

If I think no other movie this summer can reach, let's say 150 million is my G.I. joe prediction, we would be forced to choose one?

Well, what about keeping it at the same slot you had originally, and the prediction can change, but it can't be higher or lower than the slots above and below it?

That gives some breathing room for a new movie to be added to the empty slot.

If this doesn't work, then sure, the Top 11 for the year works best then.

First off, I picked G.I. Joe for my Top 12. I think that we should pick a new movie to go into the Top 12, not necessarily at the bottom. Likewise, I feel that the other 10 people should be given a choice to edit one movie in their Top 12. Perhaps, they can change the gross or swap one out for a different movie.

At this point, we don't really need to set a limit on what movies we can choose for replacement.

Prometheus: 54

Brave: 54

Men In Black 3: 54

Snow White: 53

Almost everyone has the next few weeks worth of movies in their Top 12, so a release date limit has little effect.

This won't happen. Sorry.

I think going with a top 11 is the best option. The whole point of the top 12 is to test early predictions so I don't think we should get to revise anything after we've had another month of buzz and current trends.

In the spirit of the game, I agree with you.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

There's another solution here that I'm not sure many will like, but...what about simply removing the points based on ranking? That seems to be the crux of the problem here. If it weren't for the importance placed upon ranking, then we'd all be merely scored based on our dollar predictions for these movies.By removing the rank scoring, it nullifies the problem and allows anyone who had Joe in their top 12 to simply skip over it. For those who didn't have in their top 12, they aren't scored for ranks either and you can simply cut out whatever their #12 film was.This way, all of our predictions for other films remain intact and no changes have to be made.The more I think about it, simply cutting down to 11 is just going to complicate matters because everyone has a different rank for Joe and that in turn affects the points we get for other films' ranks as well. I know that the ranks are kind of an important aspect of the game, but, removing them may ultimately be the fairest and simplest way to solve this problem across every player.Maybe if popular demand is to try and account for some of those lost points, perhaps we do a big "mid-summer" bonus where we have to predict the top five ranked (and ONLY the ranks) of films released after a certain date (let's say June 29). But, really, this isn't necessary. Just getting rid of the ranks altogether for this year while not allowing players to change anything balances out the problem in a pretty efficient way, I think.

• Like 1

There's another solution here that I'm not sure many will like, but...what about simply removing the points based on ranking? That seems to be the crux of the problem here. If it weren't for the importance placed upon ranking, then we'd all be merely scored based on our dollar predictions for these movies.By removing the rank scoring, it nullifies the problem and allows anyone who had Joe in their top 12 to simply skip over it. For those who didn't have in their top 12, they aren't scored for ranks either and you can simply cut out whatever their #12 film was.This way, all of our predictions for other films remain intact and no changes have to be made.The more I think about it, simply cutting down to 11 is just going to complicate matters because everyone has a different rank for Joe and that in turn affects the points we get for other films' ranks as well. I know that the ranks are kind of an important aspect of the game, but, removing them may ultimately be the fairest and simplest way to solve this problem across every player.Maybe if popular demand is to try and account for some of those lost points, perhaps we do a big "mid-summer" bonus where we have to predict the top five ranked (and ONLY the ranks) of films released after a certain date (let's say June 29). But, really, this isn't necessary. Just getting rid of the ranks altogether for this year while not allowing players to change anything balances out the problem in a pretty efficient way, I think.

But how does keeping the ranking really change anything. If it was announced in April that GI Joe wasn't coming out, wouldn't most people have just shifted their rankings up one anyway? How many drastic changes would people have made in the order of their top 12s if we knew about this earlier? I can't see too many people being upset about reordering the top 12 because they originally had a film like SWATH at #8 and don't want it to move up now that Joe is gone. But maybe that is just me.

It's a good idea Shawn, but the rankings are part of the game. And now if you take one film out, ultimately, you have other films that move up. I don't really see the problem in this. And most people have Joe ranked in the bottom third of their top 12 anyway, so it really won't affect it all that much.

• Founder / Operator

It's a good idea Shawn, but the rankings are part of the game. And now if you take one film out, ultimately, you have other films that move up. I don't really see the problem in this. And most people have Joe ranked in the bottom third of their top 12 anyway, so it really won't affect it all that much.

I guess that can work too, as long as no one has it very high. I haven't looked. If even one person does though, that complicates it a bit.

• Founder / Operator

But how does keeping the ranking really change anything. If it was announced in April that GI Joe wasn't coming out, wouldn't most people have just shifted their rankings up one anyway? How many drastic changes would people have made in the order of their top 12s if we knew about this earlier? I can't see too many people being upset about reordering the top 12 because they originally had a film like SWATH at #8 and don't want it to move up now that Joe is gone. But maybe that is just me.

I generally agree, it was just another outside-the-box option that came to mind.