baumer

Ideas about GI Joe: Now top 11 and top 6 for dom OW

I don't see why those people, who clearly benefited from the GI Joe snub are getting extra points.

You predicted GI Joe to make the top 12.I predicted it won't make the top 12.In reality it won't make the top 12.

You predicted GI Joe to make the top 12.I predicted it won't make the top 12.In reality it won't make the top 12.

Your logic is flawed - as was already pointed out the only reason you do not have it was because you didn't believe it would make XXX $$ NOT because it wasn't being released.giving extra points to those that didn't have faith to being would be akin to making the rest of us fall prey to double jeopardy..... NOBODY would have had it in a top 12 if Paramount had pulled the plug in March or April so those that would stand to receive extra due to a scheduling conflict that wasn't part of their logical thought process is unjustified at best and a plain disadvantage to the rest at worst. I understand that this is an unprecedented event in the history of this game but giving points because some feel they are cheated on a fluke isn't fair to the rest of us who would have gained at their expense had the film been released. 7000 points in and of itself isn't a big deal but its the precedent that would be set for the future that has me worried.

B - as i've said previously - you should have just left everyone's top 12 alone. live with the fact that 44 of us picked a film that won't make the top 12. this has so many other impacts across the board such i've previously mentioned, I just don't think it should be changed.giving extra points I also think is even worse again. there are so many scenarios which affect people by making it a top 11 i just think that move is completely the wrong move (but once again your game your rules).leaving it is the lessor of the 2 evils as there are less impacts and easier for you to score the game.Actually thinking outside the box - if you intend on giving out a bonus, then do it the other way around... bonus points to those who had in the top 12 and everyone's top 12 remains the same... much simpler and then scoring is as per normal accept for the bonus points due the stupid decision of moving this film.

Your logic is flawed - as was already pointed out the only reason you do not have it was because you didn't believe it would make XXX $$ NOT because it wasn't being released.

I don't think that is relevant, part of the game is dealing with unexpected events in the future like this. I think this is similar to Heath Ledger's death in 2008, that was an unexpected event that changed the gross of a film. but if someone made the right prediction, even though he would have been wrong if not for this event. But I still think he should have gotten full points.

I have been thinking a lot about Ariadne's post today and I think what I would like to do is this:I'm going to keep it as the top 11, but as a small white flag, a truce so to speak, I think what I can do is grant those 10 people who did not have Joe on their top 12 a bonus of 7000. It won't make up for anything and to be honest, it might be more than they deserve, but in the whole scheme of things, they did call it correctly that Joe did not make the top 12, so this seems kind of fair.Thoughts?

A BIG NO, B.

A BIG NO, B.

This.

Your logic is flawed - as was already pointed out the only reason you do not have it was because you didn't believe it would make XXX $$ NOT because it wasn't being released.giving extra points to those that didn't have faith to being would be akin to making the rest of us fall prey to double jeopardy..... NOBODY would have had it in a top 12 if Paramount had pulled the plug in March or April so those that would stand to receive extra due to a scheduling conflict that wasn't part of their logical thought process is unjustified at best and a plain disadvantage to the rest at worst. I understand that this is an unprecedented event in the history of this game but giving points because some feel they are cheated on a fluke isn't fair to the rest of us who would have gained at their expense had the film been released. 7000 points in and of itself isn't a big deal but its the precedent that would be set for the future that has me worried.

And this.

Wrong. Your prediction of not making the top 12 doesn't exist, because the film is not in the contention. Heath argument is stupid, as it happened way before the summer, so you could easily predict the OW record, just like I did. You guys getting advantage already, we're not getting the points for GI Joe and you don'y lose for some of your top 12 film.

I don't think that is relevant, part of the game is dealing with unexpected events in the future like this. I think this is similar to Heath Ledger's death in 2008, that was an unexpected event that changed the gross of a film. but if someone made the right prediction, even though he would have been wrong if not for this event. But I still think he should have gotten full points.

Don't take us for idiots. Unexpected events does not equal a blockbuster being yanked five weeks from release. Moving movies to Wednesday releases has precedent, not this. Heath Ledger died in January, months before the game even had its first post.

I disagree personally that it was locked to make the top 12. But the decision's been made. If TDKR moves to Wednesday or any other due dates are changed I don't want people clamouring for a do-over, because changes are always possible and you have to take that into consideration.

TDKR moving to Wednesday is something people would have had to take into account since blockbusters have made changes moving forward before, in fact, many times.GI Joe moving, as I have said, had no precedent. When I saw it moved on BOM I thought, why do they want a Wednesday release not why do they think March 2013 is a better date?Also, looking at it, as some already have, from the JOE players' perspective, they've "lost" points already and giving the others more points doesn't make any sense. In another way, some people have predicted JOE to make $150m+ That is a significant amount and thus if there were no JOE they would have definitely altered their predictions for other films more, it makes sense doesn't it? If I took out TDKR would I really keep TASM and IA4 as well as Bourne predictions the same? No. But, if you think it won't make $100m then you don't think it releasing impacts films as much and you wouldn't change your predictions much. It's like taking out Ted from the schedule, hardly anyone thought it was going to make a dent in IA4 or TDKR.

Don't take us for idiots. Unexpected events does not equal a blockbuster being yanked five weeks from release. Moving movies to Wednesday releases has precedent, not this. Heath Ledger died in January, months before the game even had its first post.

Yes, I should have written if Heath died a couple of weeks before the release, but the point stands that unexpected events are part of the game, and unprecedented events are certainly unexpected.

If someone has the 10 predictors #12's and their gross, please post it. laguy or XenoZodiac maybe.Do you even remember what your #12 was? I know Johnny had Battleship and that's being dropped so it's a + for him.For example if you had That's My Boy and that movie tanked and didn't make $50m total, are you really going to argue anything? You would have lost points, and I am of the opinion you would've anyway for not including JOE. Or does anyone really think this far out that JOE was still going to make sub-$100m or sub-last movie prediction. Easier if I had some numbers.

But we don't know if it would have made it to the top 12. No one does. And since we all called it to get there, and it didn't, even though not in the traditional sense, wouldn't it be pragmatic and fair to give those ten a small bonus?

• Like 1

Depends, for example Johnny had Battleship at #12, he would be losing points anyway but now he gains points for...nothing?If you haven't deleted the other 9 in your Excel sheets baumer, maybe you could post them?

If someone has the 10 predictors #12's and their gross, please post it. laguy or XenoZodiac maybe.Do you even remember what your #12 was? I know Johnny had Battleship and that's being dropped so it's a + for him.For example if you had That's My Boy and that movie tanked and didn't make $50m total, are you really going to argue anything? You would have lost points, and I am of the opinion you would've anyway for not including JOE. Or does anyone really think this far out that JOE was still going to make sub-$100m or sub-last movie prediction. Easier if I had some numbers.

I think Joe would have made about 90M if it kept its release date.And I had Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in number 12.

Depends, for example Johnny had Battleship at #12, he would be losing points anyway but now he gains points for...nothing?

If you haven't deleted the other 9 in your Excel sheets baumer, maybe you could post them?

i haven't deleted any of the number 12 films. They are all there....just below the 1-11.

Spaghetti:

Top 12 Domestic:

1. The Dark Knight Rises - 460m

2. The Avengers - 375m

3. Brave - 240m

4. The Amazing Spider Man - 225m

5. Snow White & The Huntsman - 180m

6. Prometheus - 170m

7. Men In Black III - 165m

8. Ice Age: Continential Drift - 155m

9. The Bourne Legacy - 145m

10, Battleship - 140m

11. Madagascar 3 - 135m

No more number 12...congrats, because of Paramounts greed you get to remove DS from your top 12

acsc:

TOP 12 DOMESTIC:

The Dark Knight Rises-504

The Avengers-397

The Amazing Spiderman-295

Brave-270

Prometheus-205

Snow White and the Huntsman-195

Ice Age: Continental Drift-180

The Bourne Legacy-170

MIB3-156

Battleship-145

Madagascar 3-130

No more number 12

Rock of Ages-120

But we don't know if it would have made it to the top 12. No one does. And since we all called it to get there, and it didn't, even though not in the traditional sense, wouldn't it be pragmatic and fair to give those ten a small bonus?

I completely agree baumer, I can't believe everyone's so up in arms about this. Those 10 people were right, GI Joe 2 didn't make the top 12 and to be honest, I don't think it would have made the top 12 anyway and if I had it to do again I'd remove it. Clearly, the studio agrees or it wouldn't have pulled the film.

Why don't you wait until the end of the summer, and then any of those 10 people whose number 12 film actually ends in the top 12 gets the bonus?

I'm going to think about it. I might not do it now seeing as some of the people who have number 12 removed have Battleship or DS in that slot, and that is a bonus to them that they get to remove that.

01. Johnny had Battleship with $120m02. KDS had Battleship with $120m03. limac has an unknown film at #12 (#11 at $160m)04. Goffe Rises has an unknown film at #12 (#11 at $128m)05. Brand New Rises has an unknown film at #12 (#11 at $140m)06. Tower had Abraham Lincoln with $125m07. Michael J Scott has an unknown film at #12 (#11 at $150m)08. Totem had That's My Boy with $90m09. Spaghetti had Dark Shadows with $120m10. acsc had Rock of Ages with $120mSo here we are. The 10 who are "negatively affected".4 of the 10 don't even have a #12 film so they are losing points anyway and knocking it down to a top 11 GAINS them points because now they don't lose points for a non-entry at #12. Shall we give them more points for not predicting? No.3 of the 10 had either Battleship or Dark Shadows as #12 film so they are losing points but knocking it to a top 11 gains them points, so shall we give them more points just because they didn't have GI Joe and get saved by having a loser spot knocked out? No.Therefore only Totem's That's My Boy, acsc's Rock of Ages and Tower's Abraham Lincoln actually matter.I say (and Totem doesn't even seem to be playing anyway) give the 2 or 3 of them a chance to get points if one of their films ends up #12. The other 7 shouldn't be getting anything anyway and are positively affected by knocking it down to a top #11 when they should all actually be penalized.

• Like 1