filmscholar

BAD BOYS FOR LIF3 | Jan 17 2020 | IT'S OFFICIAL: #1 DOMESTIC 2020

I don't agree to be honest. I was there also. Actually i was there when the first one came out when none of them was as big.I think i understand the popularity of this movie with regular people. Of course it has fans and of course Will Smith and Michael Bay have fans. That's not the point. The point is that this film will probably have a really big budget. A budget that probably doesn't worth spending when the first two films weren't that succeful. They did fine don't get me wrong but their numbrs aren't something to celedrate. Actually Bad Boys 2 wasn't as big as expected. And it wasn't as well received. Yes there are people that loved it and wait for a third one but i don't think there are enough for them.The salaries of the main trio will rise its budget to 170m minimum. It's an R rated sequel 12 years after the last one. Men In Black 3 isn't doing something special. It's not Indiana Jones or Terminator.I'd say Die Hard 4 is a closer comparison. It did good but can Bad Boys 3 keep the budget normal? And will they sucrifice the R rating for a better run? I don't know. I don't think that it will be successful enough to take such a big risk.

The thing is Bad Boys 2 was the 11th Highest Grossing film of 2003. It adjust to almost 200 Million. It's Top 10 All Time in the Buddy Cop Genre. Mind you every film above it was PG13 except the Lethal Weapon series. That's very good for an R-rated buddy cop film. Remember, Bad Boys is an "R" series, so it naturally would not have as high of a gross as a PG13 buddy cop film sans Beverly Hills Cop series. But they have both done well for their overall budgets. The Original was a surprise in 95, Michael Bay was a new director and Will and Martin had only been successful on Television at that point. Also it was the 1st major blockbuster to have the two leads as African Americans. So it was a breakout success. Also again they both have done very well on Home Video and Television plays both of them it seems at least once every month or couple months. You will turn on the TV and see a Bad Boys film over the weekend. BB3 is a good risk cause you are bringing 3 talented people together in Bay, Will and Martin and it's closing out the trilogy. If MIB got a part 3, Will should do a BB3 and end out his trilogies though I feel they are clearly making Hancock a series now.
  • Like 1

Big difference between BB3 and T3. If T3 would have kept Cameron + cast then the final would have been different. Bad comparison, better is DH4, IJIV and Prometheus.

Yes i agree but i just wrote the same thing. We better shouldn't compare it to T3. Different league of franchises. Die Hard 4 is a better comparison but that didn't have Mac Tiernan and it was pg13. Indiana Jones is also a much bigger franchise and the fourth one was made 19 years after the third. I think it's also a different beast. I can't see any similarities with Prometheus to be honest. Just the R rating fact on a big expensive blockbuster. A big deal for sure but it's a prequel, it's coming off some pretty badly received sequels, Scott is coming back after 33 years etc. You know what i mean.Anyway it's not a big deal. I 'm just stating my concerns about it. I think it's a big risk and i don't think it will pay off. But i could easily be wrong.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/02/bad-boys-3-to-be-released-in-2015/

Bad Boys 3 to be released in 2015
Added by KellyJtheWriter on February 19, 2013.
Saved under EntertainmentKelly J. NewsonMoviesU.S.

A Social Network for Authors

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bad Boys 3 to be released in 2015

The Bad Boys franchise starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence has been successful. The original Bad Boys took $19 million to make and made $140 million at the box office. As for BAD BOYS 2 it cost $130 million to make and made over $270 million.

So, the studio should not have any problem or feel nervous about what the third installment will make.

“I talked to Martin about that a couple of weeks ago. Martin is into it and we got a couple of screenplays and the story’s gotta be right,” Will Smith said in an interview on 106 & Park.

Also for this third installment Will Smith is more hands on with the screenplay.

So fans shouldn’t be surprised if Will’s name shows up as a screenplay credit.

Look for BAD BOYS 3 in theaters in 2015.

-Kelly J Newson
@Kelz_writestuff

Well 2015? It's starting to look like 2016 but it's possible as Bay will be done with Transformer 4 next year, then he would have to jump right into Bad Boys 3.  Will and Martin schedules should be ready.  I guess we are getting closer. 

I fail to see how Bad Boys 3 is gonna make a profit for the studio 

Lets see 

Last one was budgeted at 130 mil 

Will Smith and Bay are gonna inflate the budget with their salaries so you are looking at the say 25 mil expansion on that 130 mil number just to get these two ... you add in another 5 mil boost for Lawrence who's gonna go like ' yeah I maybe need to pay the studio to be in this one for the sake of my career but what the hell as long as you're paying these guys so much give me some cheddar too! ' 

That's 160 

Now production obviously needs to expand on the previous movie as sequels always need to be bigger ( they don't actually but Hollywood thinks they do ) ... add in the natural budget inflation over the last decade and we are looking at a minimum budget of 

200 MIL! 

And that's the best case scenario IMO ...

So previous movie made 270 mil ... sure that one was rated R and you can bet that studio is going to go for PG-13 this time around ... which brings us to another watered down action flick situation but still it should somewhat help BO 

How is this going to recoup the money invested ... especially when you factor in Smith and Bay % deals ? 

It has to gross over 600 mil to be deemed successful ... and frankly I don't know about that 

@Crusader wasn't one of the last DH's rated R?

All of them except DH4 are R. Though DH5 is a fairly tame R.

I've been wanting them to do BB3 since I saw BB2. I love that movie. The action scenes are sick in that movie and I like Martin and Smith's chemistry.