99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Prometheus

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It was a great visual aspect and the story was as captivating as the emotions that the charactera bring to this film. I felt like it was short and they were rushing a bit to get to the end I was so expecting as many others do too. Noami was great, but damn Fas... Delivers again as last summer FC perfomance. A+

• Like 2

Disappointing. The opening is slow and builds no tension whatsoever. Acting is mostly good but most of the characters are little more than standard slasher fare. Middle is the best but the last twenty minutes are utterly horrific. Character motivations and logic are thrown out the window and the plot becomes more than a little lame.The technical aspects were outstanding. The effects are fantastic and the movie is gorgeous. Score was surprisingly lovely.6/10.

Disappointing. The opening is slow and builds no tension whatsoever. Acting is mostly good but most of the characters are little more than standard slasher fare. Middle is the best but the last twenty minutes are utterly horrific. Character motivations and logic are thrown out the window and the plot becomes more than a little lame.The technical aspects were outstanding. The effects are fantastic and the movie is gorgeous. Score was surprisingly lovely.6/10.

The build-up to me was great and it felt like the movie Alien 1979 build up; slow and effective.As for score it was really good and felt right in everywhere.

The build-up to me was great and it felt like the movie Alien 1979 build up; slow and effective.As for score it was really good and felt right in everywhere.

I thought it completely lacked the sense of dread and unease that Alien perfected.
  • Like 1

Pros:

-It's a visually beautiful film to look at, despite it's dark colors. The landscapes are sweeping and epic and the effects are top notch, whether practical or visual.

-David (Fassbender) steals the show. I don't know if it's the writing or Fassbender's acting, but I find the character so fascinating to watch. Even though he can't even emote he has this aura around him that just draws your attention whatever he does. He's so captivating that when he just did daily chores he still kept me engaged. He could easily have an entire movie of his own.

-Rapace was good even though she got a little annoying at times.

-Fantastic makeup on Guy Pearce, I could never tell that it was really him and he really looked like an old creaking man.

Cons:

-Most of the side characters are pretty thin, even though I found Theron's character's relationship to her father interesting.

-Personally I think the "surgery scene" was quite over-the-top. Halfway through it lost the tension and I only wanted to see how far out it could get. Same would apply to the climax though I still found that pretty intense.

-The last six minutes (I think) rips off Alien in almost every way. Ridley Scott can do better than rehash his own film for the prequel. That is until we get to the very last scene (the "birth" scene) which was just strange.

-I left with more questions than I had walking in, which IMO isn't a good thing. There's quite a lot of holes in the story.

7.5/10 for now. I lowered my expectations a bit after hearing middling reactions to it but it turned out pretty good.

P.S. "Are you a robot?" Best. Pickup-line. Ever.

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 1

^ I agree with everything you said. It's gets better with each viewing. Once you don't compare to Alien and Aliens, which set the bar too high, it's a great film. The fan of the Alien franchise will be slightly disappointed after the first viewing, but nevertheless it's the most spectacular film of the series.

So, for those who have seen this, what Alien(s) films, if any, should I watch before seeing this? I haven't watched the films in a few years, so I'm sure I would have forgotten some plot details. Oh, and I haven't seen Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection since their theatrical releases. Should I watch those two again? Or, should I forget about them?

For its beautiful imagery and spectacular effects, it does merit a grade above C, but otherwise, it's an awful addition to the franchise. Just like last year's overrated X-Men First Class, Prometheus is a prequel that goes nowhere fast, doing nothing interesting resulting in a story not worth telling. For all the mystery behind the project, it should have remained a separate entity. Fassbender performs admirably in his minor role but whose character is pretty bland and a complete rip-off on pre-existing franchise entries. No other character is noteworthy, Theron had nothing to do whilst Rapace is wasted with utterly ridiculous generic storytelling and lazy plot holes. The last 20 minutes is where it does completely fall apart as it struggles to relate to Alien and ultimately forces it upon the viewer without any explanation. Its own story dissipates and then collapses and its attempt at a sequel is pathetic. If this is what Hollywood has come to, count me out. Like XMFC, Prometheus pretends it is intelligent when there's tumbleweeds and dandruff to be found. It has no answers and it asks no real questions relying on the stereotypical sci-fi last person standing trope, neither revolutionary nor fresh. All in all, a flashy but otherwise empty canister. C+ Ps: If there's one thing I despise in movies, it's the pretense of stimulation, the promise of nouveau but actually being an insulting, thoughtless mess with nothing to say.

• Like 2

So, for those who have seen this, what Alien(s) films, if any, should I watch before seeing this? I haven't watched the films in a few years, so I'm sure I would have forgotten some plot details. Oh, and I haven't seen Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection since their theatrical releases. Should I watch those two again? Or, should I forget about them?

Watch Alien and Aliens but forget anything else ever existed.

I saw this last night, but was too tired to post :PThe movie has great visuals and the acting is well done. The story is nothing like any other of the Alien series and really this is more of a companion to the series than more of a direct prequel. Yes it has some of the Alien elements and references, but do not expect full on double mouthed aliens running after Ripley. So really no one needs to have any of the other in the series to get this movie. As shown in the trailers, it is a story of how the human race came to be. I wont' say too much more yet since the movie isn't out everywhere yet.I give the movie a B+, possibly an A-

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

The first 10 minutes or so the 3D was pretty great. The rest of the movie, it was pretty bad. As is virtually non-existent.

Not in my 3D showing! 3D was breathtaking throughout. Easily some of the best live action 3D ever, imo. It wasn't the gimmicky pop out kind though, it was the more subtle Avatar kind that immersed you in the world. I did see it in Imax though.