99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Prometheus

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The best part is definitely the scenery, what a pretty movie to look at. I pretty much had reasons for hating like every single character though, rooted for all of them to die. And like many others, I feel like there were way too many unanswered questions.

• Like 1

When I saw the trailers and heard the concept for Prometheus, I was excited. An ambitious film this would be no doubt as they travel billions of miles to try and discover our beginning. This sounded intriguing and I was really anticipating what they would come up with and how they would all tie it in together. I was thinking story wise they would be kind of Davinci Code-esque in that they were searching for and would find the meaning of God. It's a very ambitious project no doubt and maybe I was expecting too much but I don't think I was. What I ended up getting was a slasher film with better acting. There is not a trace of intrigue or intelligence that the trailer and the talent behind the suggest there will be. Nothing was explained and nothing awed me. How, when a lady character goes up to the only automated medical bay machine, in another lady's room that has it only for herself, ask it to give her a cesarean and it say that it's unable because it can work on male patients only? You have got to be kidding, why was it in her room to begin with if she couldn't use it? A trillion dollars is spent sending 17 complete idiots, not intelligent people who are undoubtedly plentiful on Earth, but the stupidest people conceivable. You have two guys who bail having seen some remnants of past killings, but who then fail to find their way out and who - when confronted with a creature that may have killed the piles of dead alien bodies they saw earlier - decide to pet it. Weyland looks at least 100, and his daughter looks 30, how on earth does this get past people.I'll get into it more later but to sum it up, this is one of he most gorgeous films to look at and it is one of the most hollow stories to sit through. I'm very disappointed.6/10

• Like 1

When I saw the trailers and heard the concept for Prometheus, I was excited. An ambitious film this would be no doubt as they travel billions of miles to try and discover our beginning. This sounded intriguing and I was really anticipating what they would come up with and how they would all tie it in together. I was thinking story wise they would be kind of Davinci Code-esque in that they were searching for and would find the meaning of God. It's a very ambitious project no doubt and maybe I was expecting too much but I don't think I was. What I ended up getting was a slasher film with better acting. There is not a trace of intrigue or intelligence that the trailer and the talent behind the suggest there will be. Nothing was explained and nothing awed me.How, when a lady character goes up to the only automated medical bay machine, in another lady's room that has it only for herself, ask it to give her a cesarean and it say that it's unable because it can work on male patients only? You have got to be kidding, why was it in her room to begin with if she couldn't use it? A trillion dollars is spent sending 17 complete idiots, not intelligent people who are undoubtedly plentiful on Earth, but the stupidest people conceivable. You have two guys who bail having seen some remnants of past killings, but who then fail to find their way out and who - when confronted with a creature that may have killed the piles of dead alien bodies they saw earlier - decide to pet it. Weyland looks at least 100, and his daughter looks 30, how on earth does this get past people.I'll get into it more later but to sum it up, this is one of he most gorgeous films to look at and it is one of the most hollow stories to sit through. I'm very disappointed.6/10

I thought a lot of the answers to your questions were obvious Baumer. The chamber wasn't for the female, it was for Weyland, that is why it was set for a male. A trillion dollars was spent because Weyland had that kind of money to blow, and he was hoping to find the answer to immortality. And, his daughter is obviously an android like David...Although, I guess some could argue she's human, but I don't think she is. I think that whether she is android or human might have intentionally been left up for debate.Anyway, I just saw this in IMAX. I loved the score, that was my favorite part. The 3D was on par with Avatar's 3D. Overall, I felt it was as good as the first Alien. My only question I am wondering about is whether that Alien at the end was a Queen Alien and why was the Face Hugger so f'ing huge. I'm also guessing this isn't a direct prequel to Alien because the space jockey wasn't sitting in the seat??? I'm not sure. Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 1

I thought a lot of the answers to your questions were obvious Baumer. The chamber wasn't for the female, it was for Weyland, that is why it was set for a male. A trillion dollars was spent because Weyland had that kind of money to blow, and he was hoping to find the answer to immortality. And, his daughter is obviously an android like David...Although, I guess some could argue she's human, but I don't think she is. I think that whether she is android or human might have intentionally been left up for debate.

Yep, you nailed it. Also, Transformers 3 is a miracle film. I think all the Michael Bay movies are diminishing Baumer's intelligence.

Anyway, I just saw this in IMAX. I loved the score, that was my favorite part. The 3D was on par with Avatar's 3D. Overall, I felt it was as good as the first Alien. My only question I am wondering about is whether that Alien at the end was a Queen Alien and why was the Face Hugger so f'ing huge. I'm also guessing this isn't a direct prequel to Alien because the space jockey wasn't sitting in the seat??? I'm not sure.

Its not even the same planet as the one in Alien. The planet in Alien was LV-426 and the one in this was LV-433(I think thats what is was, it said it one of the computer screens in the movie... not to mention it looks nothing like the one in Alien either). I really like that... so much to do for sequels. Edited by Shpongle

Yep, you nailed it. Also, Transformers 3 is a miracle film. I think all the Michael Bay movies are diminishing Baumer's intelligence.Its not even the same planet as the one in Alien. The planet in Alien was LV-426 and the one in this was LV-433(I think thats what is was, it said it one of the computer screens in the movie... not to mention it looks nothing like the one in Alien either). I really like that... so much to do for sequels.

Ah, that makes sense. Maybe, the third one, we end up on the planet from Alien.

Me and my friend absolutely loved this film! Stunningly beautiful, nearly on the same level as avatar (in respect to taking you out of this world).. though a few shots definitely looked a bit too much like earth.There were a few minor plot holes (in my opinion), but they did not take away from the majestic concept of finding our past. And the whole question of why would they want to get rid of us was intriguing. Acting on the whole was great! Noomi was intelligent an human, which is what I look for in films. Michael made a stunning robot. The others weren't standouts but were all decent.The score was also stunning.Overall: 8.0/10

• Like 2

I thought a lot of the answers to your questions were obvious Baumer. The chamber wasn't for the female, it was for Weyland, that is why it was set for a male. A trillion dollars was spent because Weyland had that kind of money to blow, and he was hoping to find the answer to immortality. And, his daughter is obviously an android like David...Although, I guess some could argue she's human, but I don't think she is. I think that whether she is android or human might have intentionally been left up for debate.Anyway, I just saw this in IMAX. I loved the score, that was my favorite part. The 3D was on par with Avatar's 3D. Overall, I felt it was as good as the first Alien. My only question I am wondering about is whether that Alien at the end was a Queen Alien and why was the Face Hugger so f'ing huge. I'm also guessing this isn't a direct prequel to Alien because the space jockey wasn't sitting in the seat??? I'm not sure.

That doesn't make sense though clone. Why would it be in her room, and would she not have access to it? If it is the case that it is for him and him alone, then that should have been made more clear. And furthermore, why would you not let your daughter have access to it? None of it makes a lick of sense.

Grade: B

It's a good movie...just not exactly everything I was expecting. Are my expectations to blame, the film or some of both?

The scope of the movie was grand and the theme of that age old question "where am I from" and "why are we here" are at the heart of the story. I felt overall they tackled that fairly well especially when using David(Fassbender) to play off.

I liked Dr.Shaw's answer to Charlie about her wearing the cross.

I'm guessing Ridely Scott doesn't care that Weyland as killed in Alien vs Predator am I right? Or are they different Weyland's. Both were portrayed as "the" Weyland in each film.

Charlize Theron is clearly back in the 'A' list saddle after this and SWATH. She is great in this as is Idris Elba. The acting by all was great. The score was great.

I feel like the final act just...happened. They were building slowly then BAM, it began to boil. So it causes me to wonder if any extra transition is on the cutting room floor. Not that you can't make the case the movie flows alright otherwise but it really does go from cruise to hitting the nitro storywise.

They do get us that much closer to a more proto-type Alien in the final scene of course. That had to happen. It also means others aren't going to ignore the warning beacon and give our proto-Alien more DNA to sample so that by the time the Nostrodomus gets there they look like "our" Alien.

• Like 1

That doesn't make sense though clone. Why would it be in her room, and would she not have access to it? If it is the case that it is for him and him alone, then that should have been made more clear. And furthermore, why would you not let your daughter have access to it? None of it makes a lick of sense.

It's not just her room, her room is an entire seperate ship. It states so in the movie and we even see it break apart. My guess is that he was in cryogenic sleep in that room/ship. About the daughter thing, I'm pretty sure she is an android, but the audience is left to guess if that is the case. In the other Prometheus thread, you brought up the whole her having sex thing. But, I think that was to throw the audience. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for an android to have sex. Also, notice how distant her character is. She never shows any emotion and she easily flamethrows another human being without much thought. I feel she was built to be the opposite of David--both are androids but serve different purposes for Weyland. At least, that is my belief. You can believe she is his daughter, if you like. But, let's not forget in movies, it is very common for androids to refer to their makers as mother and father. If there is a sequel, I think we will see Theron again.
  • Like 1

As soon as David was talking to Weyland I instantly thought of the scene where Shaw trys to mess with the medical table. Clearly it was for Weyland and I assumed that he was in the seperate living quarters in stasus. also, he wasn't aware that Vickers had came on the trip. After he awakes from crio and is in the bedroom, she walks in and he says "so you decided to come along." Then she talks about not wanting to stay behind and spend 2 years arguing with the board about who's in control of the company. Made perfect sence to me. She knew he was on board but he didn't. The seperate living pod was for Weyland when he woke up, NOT HER. Everyone else just assumed it was for her because they had no idea that Weyland was actually on board.Over all I thought it was good. Visually it was great looking. The score was pretty good as well. Fassbender, Rapace, Theron and Elba all did a good job in their roles. I liked the whole theme and ideas that the movie presented and I didn't mind all the unanswered questions.The problems I had were with some lapses in logic with the script.1.Why did the two guys get lost when they were in contact with the ship and everyone else?2.On top of that, why would they suddenly decide to get all freindly with an unknown alien creature that they know nothing about and is showing aggresive behaviour? That was straight up stupid!! :blink:3.After the big deal that was made about allowing Hollaway back on board, they turn around a little bit later and have no problem opening the bay door for that geologist guy(who's name I can't think of) even though they have no freaking idea if there is anything wrong with him.4.I did think the ending with the engineer getting inpregnated and the subsequent birth of the xeno felt tacked on. As if fox pushed Scott to include that so that there would be some kind of direct connection to the Alien movies. Would have been nice if the xeno had looked a little more like the ones we're used to from the previous Alien movies.I gave it a solid B

Hated it. Another example of tons of money spent on the look and feel (the overall look of the film was impressive...great set design) without an extra nickel being spent on finding a good script. Slow build up in the first hour was fine but there was no satisfying payoff. No action, no scares and no suspense. Adds NOTHING to the cinematic exploration of 'why are we here? where do we come from?' other than providing the filmmaker's version of an answer that isn't really all that clever. Last act is a horrible example of 'this happens...then this happens... then this happens' with little to nothing to drive the narrative. Too many characters with very little to do. The character of David tries to break away from the sinister android stereotype made famous by Ash in the first film by being more childlike (almost WALL-E in a way) but ultimately becomes the sinister android that suddenly becomes a trustworthy ally at the end despite basically killing the last person standing's husband. The sad thing is that many of the minor mistakes in the script that we all argue about here could have been fixed easily before they resulted in the whole thing crashing down. Makes me actually LIKE Alien 4 by comparison. Yikes!

Edited by Adm56
  • Like 1

As soon as David was talking to Weyland I instantly thought of the scene where Shaw trys to mess with the medical table. Clearly it was for Weyland and I assumed that he was in the seperate living quarters in stasus. also, he wasn't aware that Vickers had came on the trip. After he awakes from crio and is in the bedroom, she walks in and he says "so you decided to come along." Then she talks about not wanting to stay behind and spend 2 years arguing with the board about who's in control of the company. Made perfect sence to me. She knew he was on board but he didn't. The seperate living pod was for Weyland when he woke up, NOT HER. Everyone else just assumed it was for her because they had no idea that Weyland was actually on board.Over all I thought it was good. Visually it was great looking. The score was pretty good as well. Fassbender, Rapace, Theron and Elba all did a good job in their roles. I liked the whole theme and ideas that the movie presented and I didn't mind all the unanswered questions.The problems I had were with some lapses in logic with the script.1.Why did the two guys get lost when they were in contact with the ship and everyone else?2.On top of that, why would they suddenly decide to get all freindly with an unknown alien creature that they know nothing about and is showing aggresive behaviour? That was straight up stupid!! :blink:3.After the big deal that was made about allowing Hollaway back on board, they turn around a little bit later and have no problem opening the bay door for that geologist guy(who's name I can't think of) even though they have no freaking idea if there is anything wrong with him.4.I did think the ending with the engineer getting inpregnated and the subsequent birth of the xeno felt tacked on. As if fox pushed Scott to include that so that there would be some kind of direct connection to the Alien movies. Would have been nice if the xeno had looked a little more like the ones we're used to from the previous Alien movies.I gave it a solid B

I didn't care too much for the Xeno at the end. Although, I thought it odd that the face hugger was so f'ing huge. Maybe, the Xeno is some form of Queen Alien in infancy stage.Anyway, the two guys messing with the alien thingy felt a bit tacky. I bothered me a little, but not too much.I only had one big problem. What the f did the opening scene have to do with the movie. What did the Space Jockey drink? Why did the Space Jockey drink something that would kill him? Why did he drink it when the UFO looking thing appears? Other than that, I was okay with the film. I think that for a long time a debate will go on as to whether or not Vickers is android or not. For now, I am siding with her being android, but I guess you can also make an argument for her not being android.
  • Like 1

I've been told by a friend that the opening scene shows an 'engineer' creating life on earth by allowing his DNA to be spread after his sacrifice. I didn't pick up on that during my only viewing. Not sure if my friend saw that somewhere in some of the prelease hype or if I just entirely missed something obvious.And personally I don't care if Vickers was an android or not because her character was totally wasted IMO. You could entirely remove her from the film and and give David most of her parts I don't think it would have mattered much. Well except for the part where she sleeps with the captain...that might freak some people out. :)

I've been told by a friend that the opening scene shows an 'engineer' creating life on earth by allowing his DNA to be spread after his sacrifice. I didn't pick up on that during my only viewing. Not sure if my friend saw that somewhere in some of the prelease hype or if I just entirely missed something obvious.And personally I don't care if Vickers was an android or not because her character was totally wasted IMO. You could entirely remove her from the film and and give David most of her parts I don't think it would have mattered much. Well except for the part where she sleeps with the captain...that might freak some people out. :)

A gay robot could work. lolAnyway, if the Space Jockey was spreading his DNA to create life, that wasn't really explained well. I guess we see the DNA strands, but in the opening sequence it looks like the DNA is disintegrating. So, really, it's wasted, but you're probably right. It makes sense, but if true, then that is the worst scene in the film for not accomplishing what it has set out to do.

The opening scene was meant to be ambiguous as to what planet the engineer was on. However, later on when they take the DNA from whats left of the head and comapre it with ours, it's an exact match. At that point I thought it was pretty clear that it was in fact Earth that we see at the beginning.Also, it would seem that the engineers were visiting us early on in our existence; hence all the drawings from early civilizations. But, for some reason they stopped. It's possible something occured to make them stop coming here and eventually they decide to wipe us out.

• Like 1

Reposted from my initial thoughts in the Saturday #s thread:My two cents are: it's totally worth seeing on the big screen; while I don't think some scenes work, some stuff is frickin' awesome; many of the frustrated reviewers seem to be either picking on minutiae which either doesn't matter in the big picture, or they rejected the basic concept and tuned out; it's completely different from any of the prior ALIEN films and I think the Scott/Lindelof way of describing it as an adventure in the Alien universe but with a touch of ALIEN DNA is far more accurate than calling it a prequel; I thoug the way it ended was great, and I'm really hoping they make a sequel because I'm invested in seeing what happens next.It's not a great film, but it's fun and entertaining, and while I wouldn't call it deep, there are kernels of interesting and meaningful stuff under the surface. I'd probably give it a B or B+ based off my initial thoughts. Addendum: I want a sequel! The Further Adventures of Shaw and David would be great -- they're both interesting and make a great odd couple, each with their own agenda and neither trusting the other, but forced to unite to survive.

• Like 1

To briefly comment on other points of discussion:I don't buy that Charlize is an android, but the age difference doesn't bother me at all. Weyland strikes me as a guy with the ultimate ego -- I wouldn't be surprised if he simply decided to have a child late in life to further his corporate ends. Or simply provided sperm for a donor. It's not exactly like they were close.The score was great at times and bland at times. I didn't much care for it when it went for wonder, but I liked its bleaker, darker aspects.The 3D was great, just how I like it, subtle and immersive. (I thought it was much better than TRON:LEGACY).Somewhat surprisingly, I thought it did a pretty decent job of answering some basic ALIEN questions, and I liked that it didn't answer others. Ambiguity, IMO, is a good thing.

• Like 1