rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

• Founder / Operator

I saw it with four other people and all of us were disappointed.

Intriguing. Guess we'll see. I've heard a lot of comparisons to the original film.

yes.... but these movies can be pretty leggy sometimes.... the first Twilight comes to mind.IMO it will keep chugging along in July.

IMO, "leggy" implies something impressive and close to a 3x multiplier. SWATH's word of mouth isn't strong enough to bank on that happening. While this might share some of the Twilight audience on opening weekend, its still not Twilight by any stretch of the imagination. Edited by ShawnMR

I'll be there OD, but Prometheus isn't exactly locked to break the bank either. I'll be shocked if it opens higher than SWATH.

For some reason I didn't think Prometheus would have a huge U.S. opening before all the hoopla about the awfulness of it.

I'm not seeing much buzz here, at least not on the level SW had. Do you think Ridley Scott factor could have boosted results in UK?

You can't compare the two - the audiences will be totally different, Prometheus will skew older male. This is why I don't think SW will be affcted by Prometheus much. MIB and Avengers hovewer should take a big hit.

Does anyone remember the hype for Hannibal? Apparently it's not that great, but it still opened huge and ended up with a respectable total. Does the hype for Prometheus compare in any way?

• Founder / Operator

That's insulting to Alien.

Well, its sitting at 8.3 on IMDb right now for whatever its worth. Not to say that I haven't seen a few bad reviews elsewhere, but, the vast majority of the negative reactions I've heard have been limited to what I've read on this forum. Something just doesn't add up.

You can't compare the two - the audiences will be totally different, Prometheus will skew older male. This is why I don't think SW will be affcted by Prometheus much. MIB and Avengers hovewer should take a big hit.

Last i heard you said The Avengers is for kids.
  • Like 1

Does anyone remember the hype for Hannibal? Apparently it's not that great, but it still opened huge and ended up with a respectable total. Does the hype for Prometheus compare in any way?

I didn't like Hannibal but it was a sequel of sorts to the fantastic Silence of the Lambs.

Well, its sitting at 8.3 on IMDb right now for whatever its worth. Not to say that I haven't seen a few bad reviews elsewhere, but, the vast majority of the negative reactions I've heard have been limited to what I've read on this forum. Something just doesn't add up.

I guess we'll see this weekend. I'll be very surprised if audiences agree with the critics. I didn't hear anything positive leaving the cinema.

• Founder / Operator

Between Prometheus and Madgascar 3, Avengers and MIB3 definitely have their work cut out for them next week. Especially MIB3 since it loses IMAX. Avengers will certainly lose more 3D screens as well.

Maybe it's just me but I'd say a mid 30s OW is the target for Prometheus right now. Dark dark film, R-rating, horror/scifi aspects and even though we know it- I'm not sure the marketing has done a great job connecting it to Alien.

From what I'm reading it shouldn't be connected to Alien anyway.