rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

Absolutely I will. I have always and always will maintain that 3D is cheating. A gimmick to screw people out of more money.

I dont know how to respond to that.

The Avengers will pass The Dark Knight in attendance. Just a matter of time.

It probably wont. For that to happen it needs to get real close to Titanic's re-release domestic total.

Absolutely I will. I have always and always will maintain that 3D is cheating. A gimmick to screw people out of more money.

Yet people are supposed to be rational and excluding first weekend over demand, like with TA where sometimes its difficult to find 2D tickets, after that its their choice to give that money. So if in a financial crisis people are willingly giving more money, that shows how much they want to see a certain movie.

I really don't understand the XFC killed Thor thing. We're talking IMs from Friday, not what XFC did to Thor's Friday increase. Regardless, throw out Thor and the avg of IM/IM2 is 3.58...still a ways off from the 3.72 needed to get TA 21m this weekend.Going with TA's IM from two weeks ago(3.65) it would make 20.6m. I think that has to be the extreme high end.And now we're splitting hairs... ;)

What I mean by killing is that, it had a lousy Saturday increase followed by a bigger drop on Sunday than IM2. I am with you that 20M seems where it is headed but I think 21M can happen will it probably not but I am not ruling it out yet.

Wohoo!- TheAvengers 1st non-James Cameron movie- TheAvengers 1st superhero movie- TheAvengers 1st "released between january & november" movie- TheAvengers 1st summer movieWho would have thought that...2 months ago?

TA will not pass TDK in attendance. Will get close though.And the 3D is cheating thing makes me laugh. Last time i checked, I can choose to see whatever movie I want in 2d or regular IMAX.

It is kind of like cheating, especially on OW. 2D shows are the first to sell out so if you want to see the movie, you are kinda forced to see it in 3D.

I dont know how to respond to that.It probably wont. For that to happen it needs to get real close to Titanic's re-release domestic total.

Its going to need about 650M to tie TDK so it is a long shot but achievable.

ll tickets sold estimates are faulty, i think it is a reason its not touted

It is faulty to use average price because of too many variables. Only studios know for certain and they are not revealing it.

It is kind of like cheating, especially on OW. 2D shows are the first to sell out so if you want to see the movie, you are kinda forced to see it in 3D.

You are not forced at all. Go see a 2d showing the next day then.

• Founder / Operator

TA will not pass TDK in attendance. Will get close though.

Considering the 3D boost, it needs at least $630-640 million before we can even talk about it being close enough to be a tie.But...who cares, really? The only people passionate about trying to put one movie on a higher pedestal than the other are usually fanboys anyway. Its what they've always done and will always do.
  • Like 1

Considering the 3D boost, it needs at least $630-640 million before we can even talk about it being close enough to be a tie.But...who cares, really? The only people passionate about trying to put one movie on a higher pedestal than the other are usually fanboys anyway. Its what they've always done and will always do.

Very very very true Shawn.

Its not cheating. TDK or TDKR or THG all could have been in 3D but studios decided not to convert them.

• Founder / Operator

Not to mention that a lot of theaters offer 2-3x as many showtimes in the 3D format as the 2D format for some movies -- Avengers included.In either case, if one argues that people choose 3D because they want it then the reverse holds true in saying that they probably would have for whatever the other movie in the comparison is anyway. That's one reason ticket sales debates can go only so far. There are just too many difference scenarios. Edited by ShawnMR

Its not cheating. TDK or TDKR or THG all could have been in 3D but studios decided not to convert them.

In the case of TDK, there weren't exactly a lot of theaters well equipped enough to match the # of 3D screens of the Avengers.

If TA does over $20m this weekend as it appears to be doing, I think a final gross of $630m-$650m is very possible.

I have it doing around 630M right now. It will need a great hold next weekend to push for 650M+.

Its a silly argument though. I mean I could probably argue that if the number of tickets were actually counted that Shrek 2 probably sold more tickets than The Dark Knight due to Shrek 2 being a family movie.

• Like 2