rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

The only thing I will add to this tickets sold vs dollars argument that is pro tickets sold is that the movie business seems to be the only one that tracks/reports dollars rather than sales...music, videogames, sporting events, etc, are always copies sold, or tickets sold, etc.

That's been my argument for years. The music industry was devastated by piracy on the Internet, but it didn't stop them from continuing to report in units rather than dollars. Heck, it makes Adele's achievements even more impressive. The units she has sold is similar to twice as much being sold by an artist 20-30 years ago. The same thing applies to Titanic's ticket sales, which are simply jaw dropping when you look at its competitors in history. The only movies that are in the same league as it have had numerous re-releases through the decades and they all had a major advantage over Titanic: no home video to compete with. If the only way to see a movie is to watch it in the theater, that's going to boost ticket sales for sure. A 128m ticket first run in the home video era will never be seen again. Just a stunning achievement similar to what Adele is doing right now in the music business.

That's been my argument for years. The music industry was devastated by piracy on the Internet, but it didn't stop them from continuing to report in units rather than dollars. Heck, it makes Adele's achievements even more impressive. The units she has sold is similar to twice as much being sold by an artist 20-30 years ago. The same thing applies to Titanic's ticket sales, which are simply jaw dropping when you look at its competitors in history. The only movies that are in the same league as it have had numerous re-releases through the decades and they all had a major advantage over Titanic: no home video to compete with. If the only way to see a movie is to watch it in the theater, that's going to boost ticket sales for sure. A 128m ticket first run in the home video era will never be seen again. Just a stunning achievement similar to what Adele is doing right now in the music business.

I think if we took away re-releases Star Wars or ET would be number one for all-time ticket sales and Titanic would likely be number three.

Shrek 2 definitely was a beast. I thought TS3 would be the one animated movie that could beat it but it didn't. I have no idea what can challenge it now.

MU could, maybe not admissions but gross.

Damn, I wanted Snow White to hit the higher end of Rth's range and make 60m OW a lot easier. Looks pretty doubtful it can manage a 3 multiplier on its OW but who knows. A good Saturday increase and a strong Sunday hold and it can happen. For now I'd say 56-58m seems like a safe bet.And that is a good hold for MIB 3. A sub 50% drop for the weekend is definitely in play which is really good for a Memorial weekend opener.The Avengers keeps on doing its thing and looks to hit the 20-21m range most of us had it this weekend.

Shrek 2 definitely was a beast. I thought TS3 would be the one animated movie that could beat it but it didn't. I have no idea what can challenge it now.

Me neither unforunately...maybe if Pixar ever did Finding Nemo 2 and it was in 3D?