rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

Finding Nemo was an absolute beast at the BO and with 9 years of inflation, it's only 5m higher than Shrek 2's gross. Shrek 2 was just one of those anomalies that still cannot be fully explained to this day. Yeah, Shrek 1 was loved and helped it like other first entries did to their sequels. But what Shrek 2 did was legendary.

Finding Nemo was an absolute beast at the BO and with 9 years of inflation, it's only 5m higher than Shrek 2's gross. Shrek 2 was just one of those anomalies that still cannot be fully explained to this day. Yeah, Shrek 1 was loved and helped it like other first entries did to their sequels. But what Shrek 2 did was legendary.

True man. It is one of the top boxoffice runs I have ever seen. I still remember the forms after its Wednesday and Thursday numbers and then it exploded Friday and during the weekend. Good times.

True man. It is one of the top boxoffice runs I have ever seen. I still remember the forms after its Wednesday and Thursday numbers and then it exploded Friday and during the weekend. Good times.

I remember Shrek 2 looked like a bomb after the Wednesday numbers. Nothing could have prepared us for the weekend. It was one of the most shocking things ever in BO history.

Yes, it can be explained. Would you say that the love for Toy Story can't be explained? Probably not. So why say it about Shrek?
  • Like 1

The jump in ticket sales in inexplicable.

Obviously it's not. People loved the first so the second blew up. Happens all the time:Austin PowersFirst BloodFOTRTwilightTerminatorShrek had a 6.3 X. That huge by any standard. So people loved the first one meaning the second was destined to do better.and so on
  • Like 1

Not really. Shrek didn't reach its potential audience judging by previously huge animated movies like the Lion King. Shrek 2 had the WOM of Shrek plus had great WOM of its own.

Lion King was the only one though. The next closest modern animated film to those two is Finding Nemo, and that's still 15m-ish tickets off Shrek 2.It's just... insane.

Obviously it's not. People loved the first so the second blew up. Happens all the time:Austin PowersFirst BloodFOTRTwilightTerminatorShrek had a 6.3 X. That huge by any standard. So people loved the first one meaning the second was destined to do better.and so on

None of those started with 47m tickets though (discounting FOTR because TTT didn't increase all that much from it).