rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

I agree with you. But I have the range at 10M more.After THG, I have learned not to underestimate these kinds of movies. :)

:lol: Good for you.But the one thing the THG had going for it was that it didn't have all these summer releases on it's trail.

MIB4 and Snow White 2 may happen, but both with a lower budget. Studios need to start to control the budgets. They are out of control.

It's especially odd that Sony would let it get so out of hand. Back in 2010, they were arguably the most successful studio because they managed to be very frugal with their spending.

The major factors going against SWATH after this weekend are that "B" Cinema Score and declining Flixster rating, but more importantly, Prometheus will steal the male audience next weekend and women will disappear once Rock of Ages hits.I definitely see a total under First Class right now.

Awesome, SWATH should crash.

• Founder / Operator

I agree with you. But I have the range at 10M more.After THG, I have learned not to underestimate these kinds of movies. :)

Fair enough... but I'd say putting SWATH into a comparison with THG is an insult to the latter. THG had phenomenal buzz, not to mention virtually zero competition to hold it back. SWATH is about to get run over by Prometheus, Rock of Ages, Madagascar, and Brave. But I won't rule out anything yet.

MIB4 and Snow White 2 may happen, but both with a lower budget. Studios need to start to control the budgets. They are out of control.

It may be best to leave MIB alone, I think part of the reason why people are moderately enjoying the movie is that 1) The ending brings nice closure to the series and 2) It was better than expected but now the low expectations presumably have been raised.I don't think an MIB4 would do as well as a 3rd.

The major factors going against SWATH after this weekend are that "B" Cinema Score and declining Flixster rating, but more importantly, Prometheus will steal the male audience next weekend and women will disappear once Rock of Ages hits.I definitely see a total under First Class right now.

They could coexist. It's happened in the past.

I'll be there OD, but Prometheus isn't exactly locked to break the bank either. I'll be shocked if it opens higher than SWATH.

It had a huge opening in the UK, I think it bodes well for a strong DOM opening.

I'm not seeing much buzz here, at least not on the level SW had. Do you think Ridley Scott factor could have boosted results in UK?

Possibly. I'm really just hoping it breaks out big because the box office could use a few more.

I've heard nothing but disappointing things about Prometheus which is sad because I was really excited to see it.

I thought WOM was mixed on it. Love it or hate it. Edited by lab276

• Founder / Operator

They could coexist. It's happened in the past.

"Could" being the operative word. :)For a film to successfully co-exist with heavy competition, it has to have strong enough word of mouth. SWATH is riding a fine line in that regard right now. Could go one way or the other.

I've heard nothing but disappointing things about Prometheus which is sad because I was really excited to see it.

Interesting. I've heard the total opposite.

Fair enough... but I'd say putting SWATH into a comparison with THG is an insult to the latter. THG had phenomenal buzz, not to mention virtually zero competition to hold it back. SWATH is about to get run over by Prometheus, Rock of Ages, Madagascar, and Brave. But I won't rule out anything yet.

yes.... but these movies can be pretty leggy sometimes.... the first Twilight comes to mind.IMO it will keep chugging along in July.

Good weekend.First of all The Avengers is a monster. Nothing more to add.Battleship is a big flop and The Dictator will struggle to reach Bruno numbers. OS will probably save it but i was expecting more.As far as Snow White and MIB 3 go they both had really solid results. I think that they are going to have good runs. 140-150m for Snow White and 170-180m for MIB 3. But i'm in the "they cost way too much" club. They need great OS numbers to break even or turn a profit. I'm not sure their numbers so far are that good. At least i don't know if they will make enough to be a franchise starter or enough to generate another sequel.I always use the 2,5 x production budget "rule" to measure a films' success. I find it more safe especially nowadays with the production and advertisement costs growing (along with the OS markets who are stronger of course but need more marketing) and the home video market fading.I should probably wait a bit to see how they are going to perform next week or so, to see if they will end up a failure (unlikely), a hit (also unlikely) or a decent investment (probably). Just my two cents.

Edited by acab

I'm OK with Prometheus being love it or hate it because I'll probably love it.

That's what I thought. I'm seeing it again tomorrow to try and force myself to like it.It's funny because I like 95% of what I see, I'm a good judge of what I'll like. Yet I was left sorely disappointed by both SW and Prometheus this week.