Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

The OW record was barely beaten by DH2 last year and then suddenly out of the blue TA smashed the record and passed 200M OW, a milestone a few of us thought wouldn't be broken for years.This shift to massive OW is just getting bigger and bigger.When could we see the next 'big' milestone of 250m reached?TDKR, TH2, Avatar 2, what could possibly do it.

I don't think AVATAR 2 will as its not really a fanboy movie and imo you need a huge fanboy movie to get those kind of grosses (Potter, TA, Twilight etc type movies with a huge 'must see straight away' type of showing), i expect AVATAR 2 to open between 150-200mil and have good solid legs as oppose to being hugely frontloaded.

Avatar 2- 200M-210M OW and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire should open around 195M-205M OW. We won't have a 250M opener in a long time. It took 5 years between the first 100M OW and 150M OW. 2002 to 2007. Apple that to our year that means that we should have our first 250M opener by 2017. I see a pattern.

I don't think it's possible right now, and I don't know when it'll be possible. If the 3D for TASM is as good as I've seen in theaters, I'd like to see The Avengers 2 going for real 3D this time. I used to be more of a 2D purist, but I can't deny the awesomeness of 3D any longer. If Marvel and Sony by any wild crazy chance got an agreement over the use of Spider-Man in the Avengers movieverse, if that happened in The Avengers 2... well, I don't really know how much of crazy numbers that would do. But it would be pretty fucking insane.

Not TDKR.. I wish people would get this thought out of their heads about this movie supposedly making 250M OW like a rare few have suggested cause it's not happening, hurt feelings over TA stealing TDKR Thunder or not..

Mate just like no one thought TA could pass 200m, these are what ifs, not predictions.

Who knows. Probably not anything currently in development, but it'll come sooner than later.TA's OW is still a shock to me. I get its great legs because it's a well-made crowdpleaser released in an otherwise weak month, but I still don't comprehend why that many people saw it in its first weekend.

I don't think it's possible right now, and I don't know when it'll be possible. If the 3D for TASM is as good as I've seen in theaters, I'd like to see The Avengers 2 going for real 3D this time. I used to be more of a 2D purist, but I can't deny the awesomeness of 3D any longer.If Marvel and Sony by any wild crazy chance got an agreement over the use of Spider-Man in the Avengers movieverse, if that happened in The Avengers 2... well, I don't really know how much of crazy numbers that would do. But it would be pretty fucking insane.

SM in TA2, we are looking at 300M OW.

I think it will be done within the next five years.Maybe TA2 if they add a new character and I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities for TDKR to do it.A crossover could do it as well like a Batman/Spider-Man movie. They've done stuff like that in comics, but I don't know all the legal issues with movies.

SM in TA2, we are looking at 300M OW.

Yes, this would be insane. And I don't think there's better route to go with the "more personal" and less of a cosmic scale than having Spider-Man joining the mix. People say it's impossible, but The Avengers was also impossible a little bit more than a month ago. There's no spoon and the ceiling is gone.

Keep in mind 3D is not nearly as popular in NA as it is elsewhere. I don't think it will happen for quite sometime.

Conversions aren't popular, neither in NA or OS. Give the general audience quality, and they'll come in droves. We're not talking about lemmings here, people love quality and a hell of a fun time in theaters. Proof: The Avengers

SM in TA2 would be something special.

TA itself was something special. That's one of the main reasons it could have a $200M OW.When SM1 was the first to open over $100M, it took two years before it happened again (Shrek 2). Even that is still not a commonplace event. In all of 2011, only two movies opened over $100M. TWO!!!That's the situation we're looking at here as well. It is going to be years before we see $200M again, and $250M is a pipedream for now.