Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

55 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

"Star Wars X" would be the 1st film of the next Star Wars Trilogy so based on history:

Episode IV: Exploded

Episode I: Exploded

Episode VII: Exploded

"Star Wars X" even with a small gap will still most likely explode but I do think there needs to be a significant gap.   I say 2024 May which would be 5 years after "Episode IX".  Or go with 2027 May which would be the 50th Anniversary of the Saga.   But there needs to be a gap and break for sure.  

2018: Solo

2019: Ep IX

2020: Kenobi (rumored)

2021: Rain I

2022: GOT Wars I

2023: Rando Anthology

2022: Rian II

2023: GOT Wars II

2024: Rando Anthology

2025: Rian III

2026: GOT III/Rando Anthology

2027: Episode X (50th Anniversary) (8 years after Ep IX)

Wouldn't be surprised to see a roadmap like that.

1 hour ago, nick64 said:

Yeah Lion King can be massive. If Beauty and the Beast, which leans female (I imagine many young boys were too embarrassed to go see it), can open to $170M+, then the sky is the limit with TLK, which is even more beloved and has wider appeal.

And I disagree completely. I think it is the YA female audience that made BATB what it was, and I think their interest in TLK will be a non-factor. A bigger version of The Jungle Book is a much more apt comparison for TLK than BATB, imo, because that's the same audience it will be hitting. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

2018: Solo

2019: Ep IX

2020: Kenobi (rumored)

2021: Rain I

2022: GOT Wars I

2023: Rando Anthology

2022: Rian II

2023: GOT Wars II

2024: Rando Anthology

2025: Rian III

2026: GOT III/Rando Anthology

2027: Episode X (50th Anniversary) (8 years after Ep IX)

Wouldn't be surprised to see a roadmap like that.

This is WHY Episode X wouldn't explode the way 1 or 7 did, btw

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

And I disagree completely. I think it is the YA female audience that made BATB what it was, and I think their interest in TLK will be a non-factor. A bigger version of The Jungle Book is a much more apt comparison for TLK than BATB, imo, because that's the same audience it will be hitting. 

The original BATB/JB do not hold a candle to how popular TLK is. I never said it would over-index in every demo. It just wont fail to hit any demographic. BATB did superb with that demo, well with some others and below average with 18+ males. TLK will do extremely well with everyone under 18, and extremely well over it. It will do extremely well with every demographic. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The original BATB/JB do not hold a candle to how popular TLK is. I never said it would over-index in every demo. It just wont fail to hit any demographic. BATB did superb with that demo, well with some others and below average with 18+ males. TLK will do extremely well with everyone under 18, and extremely well over it. It will do extremely well with every demographic. 

I see it doing extremely well with the family demographic, much like The Jungle Book. I don't see a ton of appeal outside of that, besides maybe the childless 90's kids adult demo like myself. 

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen. 6 years after the posting of this thread Infinity War part 1 takes the cake. With $250m on the DOT. Episode IX is being released in the summer so lets see if it can join the $250m club. Now its time to make a thread for $300m opening lmaoo. This seems mind bending and I can't see any title in the next 10 years doing so outside of Wolf Warrior 3 if it captures the hype of the chinese audience. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

LOL at some people still downplaying TLK. That is a juggernaut waiting to happen. TLK is the highest selling home video title ever and the stage production is now the highest grossing live show in global box office history.

Going to credit the billion DOM entirely to Gambino and Beyonce and you can't stop me

1 hour ago, PDC1987 said:

LOL at some people still downplaying TLK. That is a juggernaut waiting to happen. TLK is the highest selling home video title ever and the stage production is now the highest grossing live show in global box office history.

It will be like TFA, 3 generations of people where it will be very anticipated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

And I think some people are overestimating TLK being "limitless". It's a family film so it won't have the fan rush needed to get to 250M. And I think Jurassic World is more comparable to the Lion King remake anyway. Both are/will be sequels or remakes of well loved and popular 90s properties, both can appeal to people of all ages but focus mainly on 90s people, and the original films made above 300M at the dom box office in their original runs and both made around 7.5x their wide opening weekend. 

I also wouldn't call TLK way more popular then Beauty or hits more demographics, I can guarantee you many 90s children saw both either at home or in theater or at least the basics of both movies. And I know several female who aren't interested in Lion King but love the Princess movies.  

Anyways, Marvel's on a roll. First movies to ever reach 100M, 150M, 2000M, and likely 250M ow! 

Edited by Belle

6 minutes ago, Belle said:

And I think some people are overestimating TLK being "limitless". It's a family film so it won't have the fan rush needed to get to 250M. And I think Jurassic World is more comparable to the Lion King remake anyway. Both are/will be sequels or remakes of well loved and popular 90s properties, both can appeal to people of all ages but focus mainly on 90s people, and the original films made above 300M at the dom box office in their original runs and both made around 7.5x their wide opening weekend. 

I also wouldn't call TLK way more popular then Beauty or hits more demographics, I can guarantee you many 90s children saw both either at home or in theater or at least the basics of both movies. And I know several female who aren't interested in Lion King but love the Princess movies.  

Anyways, Marvel's on a roll. First movies to ever reach 100M, 150M, 2000M, and likely 250M ow! 

Literally every metric shows otherwise.

• Like 2