Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

TA 2 is the next film with any real chance imo and I think the addition of a major hero would be needed for it.TA opening is not only a 3D fad, its one of the biggest ever.Anyone thinking TDKR will do it needs to compare how TA opened compared to TDK and then realize TDKR rises weekend multiplier will be much worse.IMO for TDKR to have a shot 200 million it needs around a 96 million opening day...250 million would need around a 116 million Friday.I think we need to remember TDKR will not open have the same staying power over the weekend as TDK, Spider Man 3 or TA.It will fall 40% on Saturday and by then a 8% Sunday drop really is not that special then. However if it gets such a hold it means great weekdays...

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

My question is if that actually happens, could it have a realistic shot to beat Avatar DOM.

No because it will be more frontloaded. Avengers 2 might increase but it not going to increase 100m. Everybody has seen Avengers now.I think a better question is what will hit 200m next or Avengers 2 hit 250m before any other movie hits 200m OW. I can't see any 2013 movie and so far looking at the 2014 movies TASM has chance and TA 2 will be out by 2015 or 2016.

• Founder / Operator

It always depends on the quality of predecessors, but Star Wars is a major contender now. Avatar 2/3 possibly. Not sure inflation will catch up quickly enough for Avengers 2 or Star Wars 7, but ya never know.

I still :blink: by an OW over 200M.Don't see another one in 2013.

200M is a rare occurrence. When the first 100M hit in 2002 we didn't get another til 2 years later. I don't think will get til 2015 (3 years). Took 5 years for 100M OW to take off, so it might be by 2017 and will start getting 3+ 200M OW a year.

From films we know actually getting made and released, I think Avengers 3 has best shot

Does TA3 qualify. Released? Means having a release date and TA3 doesn't have one. As for getting made that is going to happen, but as of now doesn't have a greenlight so its not getting made. I guess its fair to look at, but we could then consider movies like JLA2, Avatar 4 as well as Episode XII. Minus the getting made and released part if TA2 or SW7 could do it, but that is 2018 and I think by that time a movie will have hit. By 2018 we would have had EP. VIII which has a great shot. Edited by Neo

Does TA3 qualify. Released? Means having a release date and TA3 doesn't have one. As for getting made that is going to happen, but as of now doesn't have a greenlight so its not getting made. I guess its fair to look at, but we could then consider movies like JLA2, Avatar 4 as well as Episode XII. Minus the getting made and released part if TA2 or SW7 could do it, but that is 2018 and I think by that time a movie will have hit. By 2018 we would have had EP. VIII which has a great shot.

Oh come on. I think TA2 gets 225 and TA3 gets 250. I'm pretty sure that Marvel will want to make it's trilogy. Justice League and sequels, have no box office history, only Man of Steel. Avatar is in development hell. Stars Wars has a chance but dont know how audience will respond to reboot. I think TA3 has best chance since of course it will get made.

Yeah, just like DMC was never suppose to break the OW record :rolleyes:

In fact I was expecting DMC to break OW record.Avatar 2 will most likely be released in December and it won't be a fanboy driven film, so the opening isn't going to be record-breaking.

In fact I was expecting DMC to break OW record.Avatar 2 will most likely be released in December and it won't be a fanboy driven film, so the opening isn't going to be record-breaking.

It could still top 200m. The 'being released in December' argument is a load of crap. DMC wasn't a fanboy driven film either and look how big that opened??