Totem

When will we get a 250M OW? What film could do it?

Seriously though - what about something from left field '50 Shades of Grey'Simply put:If (# of females between 25 and 55) > (250M / Av Ticket Price) then x = 1 (or xxx = True if you like)Something tells me us menfolk will be surviving on take outs that weekend

Inflation alone will guarantee a movie makes 250 in one weekend. I don't think it'll be any time before the decade is over though. It's simply too high right now, and it won't be a movie currently in development, I don't think.  

• Like 1

Here's an interesting old thread.  It's interesting that the last post in it was 7 months before SW came out and no one even mentioned it.  Granted it didn't quite hit 250 but it came really close.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

Here's an interesting old thread.  It's interesting that the last post in it was 7 months before SW came out and no one even mentioned it.  Granted it didn't quite hit 250 but it came really close.

Last Jedi will make less, but if Episode IX stays in the summer, it will make 250m+. Can't see any other movie doing it in the next few years.

• Like 1

250 ow is an insane figure. SW7 almost pulled it off. Tri-quels have had the best OW at times and won't rule out SW9, though SW8's reception (and dare I say SW9's RT score) may matter. Else we will have to wait for inflation to do it's thang and let a few years go by till we have a 250+ opener. 

JW2, SW8, AIW, SW9 could be 200+ openers in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Star wars 7 and furious 7 blew up from their previous highs (also technically TDK was the 7th live action batman movie and that one blew up as well) so the next contenders will be transformers and pirates 7. Or avengers 7. Or jurassic 7.

Star 8 - 2 years of ticket inflation will probably get it there.  I'm positive that this will open just like Star 7 - absolutely everywhere on 4+ screens with showings every 30 minutes through the night...and every ticket will sell that weekend for the Leia effect.  It may come in under Star 7 by the end, but the 1st weekend should be the same...and that sameness + $.50-$1/more per ticket will get this to $250M...or at least give it an amazing shot...

• Thanks 1

SW8 definitely has a chance to do it. If future teasers/trailers/reviews can build up hype, combine that with Luke's return and unfortunately Carrie Fisher's death the OW could explode. Even so, there is the chance too it does like AoU- massive OW but short of its predecessor.

• Like 1