Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

There's a part of me that agrees with Double Toasted. I liked Stranger Things slightly better because the characters felt more fleshed out. And yes I know Stranger Things is inspired by IT and that they can't include everything from the book. And I understand that, that has the luxury of being an 8 episode series in comparison to 135 minutes.

One of my main issues was something horrifying would happen and the kids would barely act shaken afterwards. Like their lives would literally be threatened and then the next scene they would be outside talking on their bikes again showing very little emotion/like not looking frightened/talking about how crazy that just was or out of breath (especially Bill). They weren't really reacting to how frightening one of those scenes would be to go through and it made those set pieces feel less genuine.

Another issue I had was with the start of the third act and the choice felt forced.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

I'm a big King fan.  I've read the book twice and seen the mini-series plenty.  

I do think Mike was horribly shafted.  I don't know why they did that to him.  I was upstairs at one point tonight and I was by a projector during the apocalyptic rock fight and that was more than an hour in.  He didn't really feel like a Loser to me.  

But, if I had to look for a positive, Eddie was way better here.  He was more neurotic than than straight hypochondriac, which makes perfect sense when you think about it.  

It wasn't ever really SCARY, but there was some hair-raising moments.  

I am gonna take a friend to see it Saturday with a crowd and I can't wait to see how it holds up.

• Like 1

Yeah....I'm going to keep thinking about it before I mention flaws. I just had too high of expectations going in (I still liked it a lot...I just didn't love it).

I'm probably going to see it again this weekend if Irma stays far enough away (in FL). I really want to watch Pennywises scenes again.

One thing off the bat though....I wanted to see more dialogue heavy Pennywise scenes like the opening. Bill nailed it and I would have loved to see him have more of those interactions with the kids instead of constantly morphing into the alien sharp teeth form. He was truly creepy without any of that and I loved some of the scenes from the trailers which were a lot longer in the movie. Like the Georgie basement scene.

I love how he rose out of the water holding his rotting body like a dummy and chanted that too before doing the running thing. Did not expect that.

Edited by somebody85

Just came out of it. Casting is on point but otherwise it's just about the least interesting adaptation I could imagine. It's horror as theme park ride, with constantly flying camera, fast cutting and LOUD NOISES substituting for atmosphere and sense of place, and all rough edges from the novel sanded off. Basically competent but utterly predictable, and rushed as hell, like a Harry Potter movie (I don't mean that as a compliment) with scares.

I don't even mind if it wasn't that scary. People forget that they watched the mini-series when they were kids.. now they aren't kids, so clowns won't be as scary for obvious reasons. Stop expecting them to be. 

My biggest issue was with the editing and pacing, I can excuse the pacing because it's based off a massive book but the editing/post production work was really poor in my opinion and resulted in the movie not flowing as nice despite the good cinematography. 

It was by no means bad but definitely a missed opportunity to make this a masterpiece/classic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, We0uthere said:

I don't even mind if it wasn't that scary. People forget that they watched the mini-series when they were kids.. now they aren't kids, so clowns won't be as scary for obvious reasons. Stop expecting them to be. 

My biggest issue was with the editing and pacing, I can excuse the pacing because it's based off a massive book but the editing/post production work was really poor in my opinion and resulted in the movie not flowing as nice despite the good cinematography. 

It was by no means bad but definitely a missed opportunity to make this a masterpiece/classic.

Mini-series is boring and absolutely not scary. 

I was disappointed tbh. It was a decent movie but I felt like the scares were kinda lacking. The CGI ruined a few of them by being really dodgy. If the leper and the synagogue woman were practical effects it might've been cooler I think. 

I agree that there should've been more dialogue heavy Pennywise scenes. I loved when he was talking to them in the house or just chillin but then they'd randomly make his head big or some shit. I also don't like how they changed Georgie's death but it's a small detail.

Mike was the Slipknot of the group honestly. Or maybe the Katana. Just showed up with not a lot to do. Something about Ben was very 'child actor' and I really didn't like the scenes with him. Still keen for part 2 though cause its a fresh start with the actors (not that Bill, Richie, Eddie and Bev weren't great) and they can hopefully improve the CGI. 

4 hours ago, Rman823 said:

So without spoiling the book does anyone else think they're going to keep Ben and Mike's roles switched in Part 2 ? Especially since there was no foreshadowing of Ben's job in the future. 

I hope not.

6 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I liked the movie but I didn't love it.  It did a lot of things right but it also changed some things or just ignored too much for me to love it.  I'd give it an 8/10 right now but that might go down tomorrow morning.  I think as a movie, it was good but as a massive fan of the book, they just kept too much out of it.

It was scary and they did hit upon a lot of the disturbing stuff with the adults.

Surprise, we are on the same page.  I had to sleep on it before I wrote.  I think as a movie it was good, as well, which is why I want to see it again too now that I know what to expect.  

I guess when I heard it was faithful to the book and saw massive changes or omissions, it kind of lessened the film for me.

But yes, it's good, still has some of the heart of the book and the kids were mostly good.   Definitely creepy and intense for most of the movie.

I may even agree with your grade, but want to reserve that for the second viewing before I settle on a score.

But I think people that weren't as familiar with the book will eat this up.

I absolutely loved it, such a good time at movies, easily one of my fave movies of year, and Horror movie as a whole.

- I've never seen a Horror movie so built to be a blockbuster like this one, everything here, from the acting, the relationship between kids, the soundtrack, the comic relief, the atmosphere of adventure, everything here screams mass appeal, and it makes me wonder if that's a new formula that we'll see in more Horror movies? 

- The kids stole the show, I wasn't impressed by the scary parts, but the relation between them was so strong that I couldn't care less about it, such a perfect casting.

- I particularly loved how the fears of each one were represented, especially the Beverly one fearing to become a woman, Horror is the genre that rely on metaphors, but IT takes this representation to another level, I can't wait to read the book, since I guess that this part will be even more complex.

- Not a big fan of the CGI, it was lackluster and brought the movie down in several moments.

- I wish there were more developed on Henry's character, he's such a important piece for the movie, but barely has any development, it seems that he's a bad guy, just because the script needs him to be one, I wish that his relationship with the abusive father were better explored, as I'm pretty sure that the book did.

Overall, it's an A+ movie to me, it shows that Horror can be a lot more than some jump scares or gore images, when you build a scary atmosphere, with such great characters, it is so efficient as the most scary Horror movie out there. 

I can only surmise that they left the dam and the bird stuff out of the movie due to budgetary restraints.  That would make sense.  I do wish the Irish cop made an appearance though.

Ok after sleeping on it, I was kind of disappointed in the movie.  As I said in the main IT thread, I still liked it enough and will give it a second viewing, but with them changing Mike and Ben for some unknown reason, to taking away the Barrens almost completely from the story, Bowers wasn't even shown his connections to the Losers Club and was just kind of the generic bad guy, to other little and big things, it kind of let me down.

I can place some of that on myself since i heard it was more faithful to the book, so I didn't expect such big changes.

But yes the kids were good, it was funny, had heart which is the real story of the book, but I just think they dropped the ball on what could have been an amazing film.  

I do like that it was on the edge of your seat for most of the film, and Pennywise was good and some of the little additions I liked such the bodies floating in air thing like a mobile.  I thought Pennywise using Georgie as a ventriloquist dummy was pretty creepy too.

So all in all, it wasn't bad, just thought it could have been more

still in the B+ area for now, may go up on second viewing

Edited by 75livesinDerry
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I hated what they did to Mike and Ben.  They were so underdeveloped.  I liked the movie but it's still too hard of a book to adapt.

that is true. thought a book like IT would be perfect for a say 5 part movie. WB once talked about 6 part king arthur. They have logistical/managerial experience with potter films releasing regularly. franchises like saw and paranormal have multiple entries. why not break IT into 4-5 films. the budget as it is would be on the lower side. Release one part every year for 4-5 years.

edit: child actors start aging and all that with multiple films, but that's why i feel wb's handling of potter films gives them an advantage on dealing with such issues.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1