Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

6 hours ago, DAR said:

How about we don't encourage going after pirated material.

Not encouraging but just wanna say this pirated copy isn't gonna hurt the film at all. I LITERALLY just left the theatre and got home and this pirated copy is trash. The language changes mid movie, the audio is out of sync, you can hear audience members talking and coughing and see them getting up and you can't see shit in the dark scenes:gold:

Trust me anyone with a brain would rather see this on the big screen

On 9/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, Valonqar said:

So I watched Mama thanks to Stan's painting and holy shit wow that woman is just scary af! Great movie too!

So IT scary people ranked:

Mama

Eddie's mom/Bev's father

Pennywise

Bev's father was the creepiest thing in the movie. He made my skin crawl. 

On 9/9/2017 at 7:58 PM, angeldelmito said:

the projection room scene when the clown popped out in that dark ass garage was the FUCKING scariest part of the movie JKSDGNDSJGNKJFDSNGJ its mandatory to see that shit with a friend bc WHEW the entire theater was like

like that shit was CHAOTIC gorls nnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I wasn't expecting him to come out of the screen. I haven't seen the mini series since it traumatized me as a child so I forgot alot of the scares. I thought that scene was definitely Pennywise's creepiest.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 8:48 AM, Deja23 said:

Ritchie was awesome! Now I feel like I should watch Stranger Things...at least before season 2 premieres. Hoping it's like It and more creepy than outright scary. 

Stranger Things is amazing.:) You gotta watch it. It's surprisingly creepy.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:55 PM, K1stpierre said:

Oh my god. Look wise it's spot on.

The young actress who played Bev is going to be special I think. She was the biggest highlight of the film for me.

Yeah next to Richie she's the best character in the film. I liked Ben but felt he got short shifted by Bill. I was expecting Ben to 'get the girl'. 

On 9/8/2017 at 3:35 PM, Jake Gittes said:

BTW Pennywise never says "You'll float too" as he's killing Georgie in the opening scene, right? (I don't think they even talk about balloons.) I was sure I didn't hear it, so the line's subsequent appearance, about halfway through, felt kind of random and weightless not being a callback to anything. 

Ive never read the book..I thought the line was a reference to Georgie and Bill talking about the boat floating at the beginning and then I realized the kids themselves are the ones floating down there in the sewer.

I have a few questions about the movie if anyone knows the answers ..

Did Bev kill her father when she hit him with the sink? Is that why she's leaving at the end? You'd think the police would have questions.

Did the kids who were floating go back home? I didn't hear anything about people being happy their kids are back.

Why did it eat Georgie but not Bev? Cause she wasn't afraid?

Why are all the adults weird? Does Pennywise have control of them? Is that why it was able to manipulate Henry cause he was older?

Edited by eddyxx

13 hours ago, Tyrian said:

And secondly - is it possible/conceivable that, with all this attention on IT once again - that Stephen King himself is inspired to create new stories / a new novel etc for future adaptation to film? Whether he just writes a novel, or is inspired to provide more ideas for future IT stories that could be used in future films etc

Do you guys think WB is seeing $$$ and wondering whether they could milk even more out of IT - long term - than just killing their new Cash Cow with Chapter 2?

King has teased a sequel for years - several of his other books imply that Pennywise is still around in the present. I'm surprised he didn't write it for the 27th anniversary of It, but maybe the success of the movie will finally convince him to do it, or at least allow someone else to write an authorized sequel.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 10:13 PM, Rumpot said:

Could we see this happen again?  Lower numbers, but similar in defying predictions (esp the 60Ms)

https://www.google.com/amp/deadline.com/2016/02/deadpool-zoolander-2-how-to-be-single-valentines-weekend-box-office-1201699895/amp/

"An R-rated supehero movie in the dead of winter blowing the top off the B.O. is highly unusual. That’s why projections were so low on Deadpool. The last R-rated comic book properties to play the first quarter of the year were Warner Bros. Watchmen ($55.2M opening) in 2009 and 300 ($70.9M) in 2007. Given Deadpool‘s strong tracking, if the film was rated PG-13, that would have prompted estimates to be in the $125M-$150M range.

“An R-rated superhero film like this had never been done before. And when it’s never been done before, it’s hard to comp and predict. You’re doing something that’s never been done. It’s like you throw the rulebook out the window,” said Fox domestic distribution chief Chris Aronson on Deadpool’s tracking.

“That R gave everyone pause for concern,” said one rival distribution insider this morning, “Then throw in Valentine’s Day on Sunday and a holiday Monday and it is really hard to predict. We all knew it would be great but calling a performance this strong is just not possible.”

so it seems this is what happened....maybe time to just stick to what the tracking says and not apply large discounts arbitrarily when predicting?

10 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Ive never read the book..I thought the line was a reference to Georgie and Bill talking about the boat floating at the beginning and then I realized the kids themselves are the ones floating down there in the sewer.

I have a few questions about the movie if anyone knows the answers ..

Did Bev kill her father when she hit him with the sink? Is that why she's leaving at the end? You'd think the police would have questions.

Did the kids who were floating go back home? I didn't hear anything about people being happy their kids are back.

Why did it eat Georgie but not Bev? Cause she wasn't afraid?

Why are all the adults weird? Does Pennywise have control of them? Is that why it was able to manipulate Henry cause he was older?

Creep of a father bled bucket of blood when Bill found him so he should be dead, but that bathroom is weird, though. It would be that kids saw blood where there wasn't any. It's left ambiguous like Henry's fate (presumed dead but who knows).

Floating kids were dead. They didn't go back home. 

Because he had to lure the Losers in. He needed her as the hostage. However, she didn't die when he revealed his true self (when he opened his mouth and there was light in his thraot or whatever). That only petrified her but didn't kill her because she wasn't afraid. 

The adults are weird because that's the real problem with Derry. Not Pennywise (just a physical manifestation of fears) but that the city is full of terrible people. That's why Pennywise took up residence there so he could feed on so much fear. It isn't he who causes fears but he only feeds off fears caused by others.

At least I see it that way so other posters may have different opinion. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

so it seems this is what happened....maybe time to just stick to what the tracking says and not apply large discounts arbitrarily when predicting?

People do not start with a box office number than adjust for what the movie is arbitrarily, there is not something tracking really said, it is all arbitrarily.

They start with a list of metric, unaided awareness, awareness, definite interest, first choice, top 3 choice , etc... by demo.

Then they need to plug those formula in the model that fit the movie the most according to them, unaided awareness does not matter for the next animated family movie like it does for Blade Runner were it is essential and so on, different genre of movie have they're own equation built empirically on the precedent metrics.

When they have a movie without a clear precedent to use like Deadpool (will it play like a raunchy r-rated comedy, regular SH movie or something else) they do not know, they will try it in many model and look at the different numbers, that is why for movies like those (wonder woman also) we can see very different tracking numbers from different people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

People do not start with a box office number than adjust for what the movie is arbitrarily, there is not something tracking really said, it is all arbitrarily.

They start with a list of metric, unaided awareness, awareness, definite interest, first choice, top 3 choice , etc... by demo.

Then they need to plug those formula in the model that fit the movie the most according to them, unaided awareness does not matter for the next animated family movie like it does for Blade Runner were it is essential and so on, different genre of movie have they're own equation built empirically on the precedent metrics.

When they have a movie without a clear precedent to use like Deadpool (will it play like a raunchy r-rated comedy, regular SH movie or something else) they do not know, they will try it in many model and look at the different numbers, that is why for movies like those (wonder woman also) we can see very different tracking numbers from different people.

So many of these articles say "tracking and presales are x BUT this is R-rated, horror, etc."  It seems to me that at this point the "BUT it's R-rated" may actually be a positive than a negative.  I don't get why those have been noted as reasons to think lower to begin with...as presales are presales  ( I realize I'm using presales and tracking interchangeably when they are not the same, but both were available to the "predicters")

Not really the result found by the tracking was passing it in the R-rated, horror, etc... bank of comparable formula, not the tracking had a tresult X, and after that we decided to reduce it because of the R-rated/horror, etc...

You can look in the Sony leak some model of tracking used:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/Mktrsch/I N T E R N A T I O N A L/Tracking/Troy Tracking/Troy Mtgs & Info/07-10-08/Tracking Accuracy Discussion Points II (MX) 07.10.08.pdf

Look how different are the formula by genre: (Some do not even use some of the variables the others do)

Family: 
2,371,644 + (First Choice O/R2 * 18,077) + (Definite Interest All2 *15,594) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * -10,150) + (Total Awareness2 * 1,089)
Science Fiction :
2,147,711 + (Unaided Awareness * 517,422) + (First Choice O/R2 * 28,064) + (Definite Interest All2 * -7272) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * 10,737) + (First Choice All2 * -34,585)
Musical:
378,006 + (Unaided Awareness * 520,517) + (Definite Interest All2 * 6,924) + (Total Awareness2 * -1,180)
Comedies with no rating:
-2,855,969 + (First Choice O/R * 195,717) + (Total Awareness * 98,772) + (Definite Interest All * 183,375)
Non-Comedies with no rating:
-1,581,153 + (Top 3 Choice All * 180,793) + (Unaided Awareness * 500,452) + (Definite Interest All * 156,170) + (First Choice O/R2 * 6,423)
Remaining B15:
-1,069,072 + (Top 3 Choice All * -310,947) + (Total Awareness * 167,184) + (Unaided Awareness * 321,504) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * 10,376) + (Total Awareness2 * -1,372)
Remaining A, AA, or B:
3,286,013 + (Top 3 Choice All * -872,584) + (First Choice O/R * 287,981) + (Total Awareness * 138,659) + (Unaided Awareness * 594,886) + (Unaided Awareness2 * -26,257) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * 23,025)

Movies that would not clearly fit one of those could come, well if it plays like a family movie it would be this, but if it is more seen as something else it will play differently

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not really the result found by the tracking was passing it in the R-rated, horror, etc... bank of comparable formula, not the tracking had a tresult X, and after that we decided to reduce it because of the R-rated/horror, etc...

You can look in the Sony leak some model of tracking used:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/Mktrsch/I N T E R N A T I O N A L/Tracking/Troy Tracking/Troy Mtgs & Info/07-10-08/Tracking Accuracy Discussion Points II (MX) 07.10.08.pdf

Look how different are the formula by genre: (Some do not even use some of the variables the others do)

Family: 
2,371,644 + (First Choice O/R2 * 18,077) + (Definite Interest All2 *15,594) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * -10,150) + (Total Awareness2 * 1,089)
Science Fiction :
2,147,711 + (Unaided Awareness * 517,422) + (First Choice O/R2 * 28,064) + (Definite Interest All2 * -7272) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * 10,737) + (First Choice All2 * -34,585)
Musical:
378,006 + (Unaided Awareness * 520,517) + (Definite Interest All2 * 6,924) + (Total Awareness2 * -1,180)
Comedies with no rating:
-2,855,969 + (First Choice O/R * 195,717) + (Total Awareness * 98,772) + (Definite Interest All * 183,375)
Non-Comedies with no rating:
-1,581,153 + (Top 3 Choice All * 180,793) + (Unaided Awareness * 500,452) + (Definite Interest All * 156,170) + (First Choice O/R2 * 6,423)
Remaining B15:
-1,069,072 + (Top 3 Choice All * -310,947) + (Total Awareness * 167,184) + (Unaided Awareness * 321,504) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * 10,376) + (Total Awareness2 * -1,372)
Remaining A, AA, or B:
3,286,013 + (Top 3 Choice All * -872,584) + (First Choice O/R * 287,981) + (Total Awareness * 138,659) + (Unaided Awareness * 594,886) + (Unaided Awareness2 * -26,257) + (Top 3 Choice All2 * 23,025)

Movies that would not clearly fit one of those could come, well if it plays like a family movie it would be this, but if it is more seen as something else it will play differently

Thanks, not doubting you at all and appreciate the info.  But the articles put out oversimplify it I suppose is where I was coming from.

Regardless, presales are presales so aside from a small adjustment based on how frontloaded something is expected to be I'd have thought their estimates would have been higher. Ie if IT had higher presales than Dr. Strange then I would've thought predictions should be 90m+ as it should be less presale dependent than a CBM if anything.