Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

The pharmacist in the book was not a pedophile and he was the one who actually told Eddie that his aspirator was nothing but a placebo.

Bev definitely does not kill her father but it is definitely hinted that he may have raped her as a child although it never comes right out and says that.

Henry and his dad's relationship in the book his much more fleshed-out. His dad is not the sheriff he's just a farmer and he works Henry to the Bone. He also beats Henry constantly for the smallest thing. The reason why Henry was carving the letter H into been at the beginning is because Ben did not let him copy off him in the final exam and Henry was going to fail that class which was going to keep him back in summer school and that would mean he would not be able to help out his dad for the summer with the chores and that caused him to take a severe beating from his father.

There is one scene in the book where one of the boys, I don't think it was Patrick although it could have been belch, but I really forget which one, who ends up giving Henry a b******. Henry ends of smacking the kid so I'm not really sure if they're gay or if at the age of 15 they're just experimenting.

As for the city of Derry having really bad adults so that Pennywise can feed off of them, that's not entirely true. Pennywise The Entity has been around for a very very very long time and that will probably be explained more in the second movie. But it is said that Pennywise is presence is what basically haunts the town and makes the adults be the way they are. I won't get into heavy spoilers but there's definitely a scene at the end of the book that corroborates what I'm saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

There is one scene in the book where one of the boys, I don't think it was Patrick although it could have been belch, but I really forget which one, who ends up giving Henry a b******. Henry ends of smacking the kid so I'm not really sure if they're gay or if at the age of 15 they're just experimenting.

No, it was Patrick. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The pharmacist in the book was not a pedophile and he was the one who actually told Eddie that his aspirator was nothing but a placebo.

Bev definitely does not kill her father but it is definitely hinted that he may have raped her as a child although it never comes right out and says that.

Henry and his dad's relationship in the book his much more fleshed-out. His dad is not the sheriff he's just a farmer and he works Henry to the Bone. He also beats Henry constantly for the smallest thing. The reason why Henry was carving the letter H into been at the beginning is because Ben did not let him copy off him in the final exam and Henry was going to fail that class which was going to keep him back in summer school and that would mean he would not be able to help out his dad for the summer with the chores and that caused him to take a severe beating from his father.

As for the city of Derry having really bad adults so that Pennywise can feed off of them, that's not entirely true. Pennywise The Entity has been around for a very very very long time and that will probably be explained more in the second movie. But it is said that Pennywise is presence is what basically haunts the town and makes the adults be the way they are. I won't get into heavy spoilers but there's definitely a scene at the end of the book that corroborates what I'm saying.

To be fair in the book, Henry's dad is a WWII veteran so the substitution of him being a sheriff fit imo. 

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

You thinking this movie has 1.5 hours of unused footage. You are living in a dream world. lol

Of course not. But if they filmed it true to the novel it would.

How big this really can be ?

Are we talking 300m dom, 500m+(or is it 600?) WW ?

:what::stretcher:

This is the most schocking box office story since .... I don't know ...

Warner will win more money with this movie than with two or Three successful VFX heavy tentpoles.

Insane.

:ohmyzod::ohmygod::sarah:

• Like 1

Copy/pasting my review:

Didn't expect much from the movie initially, aside from corny moments (whenever the camera sexualizes Beverly through the male characters POV or when she "flirts" with the pervy looking pharmacist for cheap laughs even if all I felt was utter creepiness like young teen Beverly uses her false "slutty reputation" to arouse an aged man to distract when she's victim of sexual abuse by her dad?! The level of ickiness is borderline gross as the tone never feels quite right during the scene :unsure:) , some kid characters are less dwelled upon to the point of feeling minor even if they're supposed to be part of the Losers (And I don't quite get what was Ritchie's specific fear, clowns? It didn't felt intimate and personal like the others), unnadressed issues (None of the bullies care about their missing buddy, what happens to the floating children at the end, what happened to Bev's dad and sheriff's corpse?) but still, director Andy Muschetti is pretty adept at setting up a creepy and chilling atmosphere through cinematography and production design, illustrating children's terror from their POV (what doesn't scare you as an adult is nightmare fodder for children). Music does the job. Most jumpscares were pretty riveting on me (took me back to the early nineties when IT scared the shit out of little Dash, I like how childhood nostalgia is intimately painted as something as dreadful as idyllic thing, thankful to have survive mine into adulthood without much harm and trauma).

As the movie showcases, the object of fear is subjective but Fear is an universal human feeling, Pennywise was disturbingly unnerving and at times scary (The disturbing aspect of the movie is how it doesn't shy away from depicting graphic horror inflicted to kids. Poor Georgie). Not an easy task for Bill Skarsgard who I misjudged as too goofy from pre-release stills but he manages to do his own thing living up to Curry's performance, especially through stature, body language, speech modulations and VFX enhancements. (All parents and surrounding adults were creepy though, I don't even want to know what Halloween feels like there as an adult, let alone as a child :sweat:).

I'm not really excited for the adult part , it was always the weakest part of the story, at least not as scary as the childhood part, imo. I'm wondering what was different from Fukanaga's original take that he jumped off the ship.

(I love how the fact that they remade this 27 years after the TV series imitates the cyclical killing spree of the fiction's monster. IT is a cyclical pop culture boogeyman that feed and prey on whole generation of children that get on to live as adults then having children experiencing it too on and on passing down, iterations after iterations* as Fear never really dies, it just lingers and disappears lurking in the shadows when you tamed and overcame it by growing strength and belief in yourself molding your reality, to prey on someone's else at any given weakening times. The perfect remake fodder).

Edit: It seems there is a cut part from the movie script that accredits that "cyclical" aspect of the material that drips from inner universe to reality through history, here is the transcript:

INT. DERRY PUBLIC LIBRARY - READING ROOM - DAY

Ben looks up at a PAINTING of the First Derry Settlement.  At first it appears like the Fur Trappers are on the hunt, lying in the prone position.  But closer inspection reveals —

They’re dead.  Because Whatever they were hunting found them instead.  And as we PUSH IN on that WELLHOUSE we CUT TO:

TITLE CARD over the PENOBSCOT RIVER:

AUGUST

Tilt down to the OVERHEAD shot of what we expect to be “Derry 1989”, but instead we see NOTHING, just the intersection of a stream and river and the surrounding wilderness, towering black pines as far as the eye can see.

This is Derry in —

INT. WELLHOUSE - NIGHT

ABIGAIL, 19.  Rushes in and SLAMS the door.  As if trying to keep Satan himself out.  She clutches her BABY to her breast.

Kneels by DYING EMBERS in the hearth.  She blows on ‘em but a flame never catches.  Her Baby starts to fuss…

ABIGAIL

Hush now, shhhh… it’ll be —

She stops.

Realizes that the SMALL CANDLE CHANDELIER slowly spins above her.  As if some unnatural force has caused its light to rotate around the room, like tiny primitive searchlights.

She hears something slithering in the gray shadows by the Well.  Occasionally we catch glimpses of a BLACK SILHOUETTE.

Shifting its shape.  As if trying to decide on a form.

ABIGAIL

Please, Devil… leave us be…

Shape shifts again.

A beam of light passes, revealing PENNYWISE, naked, lithe, flesh pale and translucent, a half-formed imitation of a human, opens his maw full of large razor sharp teeth, dripping saliva.

As the Tin Can spins clockwise, Pennywise moves counter around the room.  Each time the light hits his face —

It’s different.

A Man.  A Woman.  A Beast.  A Monster.  Tim Curry.

PENNYWISE

You mistake me woman.  No mere

devil, I am the Easter of Worlds.

His voice is guttural, unnatural.

ABIGAIL

But my child, not my chid… He is

innocent. 

PENNYWISE

So you say.

The Baby SCREAMS.  Pennywise smiles.

ABIGAIL

I pray Thee, take me.

Abigail shuffles back.

PENNYWISE

I will.  And then, him.  And thy

husband and the rest of thy

children, and all the savages who

brought you here.  And when you all

rot in the earth, I will pick thy

bones dry until no meat is left to

pick.  And then I will seek out thy

bones and consume thy souls until

nothing is left but the weeds!

(beat)

Or you will occupy yourself

otherwise and not interfere.  I will

take her and you will live, and

those of thy other children — in

whom I take no interest.  And you

will thank ME fever and frost did

not damn you to the soil.

Abigail looks down at her baby again.  She’s shaking, doesn’t want to let go.  Behind her, the door OPENS.

A Little Boy, 6, asks —

BOY

Mama?

ABIGAIL

NO!  OUT!  NOW!

Frightened by his mother, the Boy runs.

Abigail turns back to Pennywise.  Wherever he may be now in the room.  The light somehow seems to spin faster now.

She kisses her baby and sets it down.  It BAWLS.

ABIGAIL

I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…

She turns away from the baby.  Faces those dying embers.  We keep on her face as they seem to begin GLOWING BRIGHTER AS —

OVER HER SHOULDER — OUT OF FOCUS —

Pennywise crawls over to the Baby and starts to feast.  SHARP CRY FROM THE BABY CUT OFF as we hear a CRUNCH.

Abigail continuing to look into the BRIGHT ORANGE GLOW of not the flickering fire…

…but the DEADLIGHTS.

Her expression changes.  Fear.  Denial.  Grief.  Acceptance.  And then nothing.  Just a glazed look.

AS IF NOTHING HORRIFIC IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING BEHIND HER.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

So, I haven't seen the movie. I'm not a horror fan. But I'm glad people are enjoying it. However, I do dig nice box office runs, I thought I'd plug It into my Simple Stupid Box Office Projector. Especially since Wonder Woman has wound down and I want something exciting to track, at least until the holidays. Maybe we'll get some other nice films to look at in the next couple of months, but right now, It is definitely King.

Anyhoo, if anyone doesn't know, my projector is an incredibly straight forward spreadsheet. It just takes the most recent week, and spits out exactly what it would do over the next sixteen weeks if they all had the very same drop, then adds that to the previous total, if any. These are not predictions, I must stress. For one, it would be ludicrous to expect a film to have the same drop every week, even if it's in a period of the year that's relatively holiday free, as we're looking at now. But it does give us a rough idea of what sort of drops would be required to get to some benchmarks.

On with the show!

In its first week, It pulled in $158.7m, which is actually the fourth biggest of the year, between the $163.1m for Spider-Man: Homecoming and the $147.8m for Wonder Woman. It had a bigger opening weekend than the two of those, too, but it doesn't have the benefit of summer weekdays. But it is definitely off to an excellent start.

Projecting out from the first week is a bit fraught, because preview numbers throw things off. The second weekend drop tends to be larger because of that, which means the second week drop will be bigger, followed by some stabilization. The stabilization may be offset by theater loss, but that's usually only for films that are already doing poorly. Theaters don't like to keep the chaff around. They do like winners. It is a winner.

I'm not sure what it would take to become the biggest movie of the year. A reasonable assumption would peg The Last Jedi in the 700m range. It could go much higher, and possibly slightly lower (though not MUCH lower, right?) Still for It to end up north of $700m in 16 weeks, it would need 22% drops. Let's just keep that on the table until we know how weekend 2 is going to fall.

However, to just be the biggest movie of the year SO FAR, it only needs to best the $504m of Beauty and the Beast. That's just sixteen 31% drops away! That is not likely, especially since horror tends to drop slightly on the larger side, but it has a chance. The 510m or so it would earn would be just shy of The Sixth Sense's adjusted total, which isn't any sort of adjusted record for a horror film, since both The Exorcist and Jaws adjust to well over $900m, but it's the biggest in semi-recent history.

Moving down the yearly list, we have the biggest movie of the summer, and It's studio-mate Wonder Woman, she o' the magnificent legs. Wondy's run isn't quite finished yet, and she might eke out another million or two when all is said and done, but regardless, if It can pull 38% drops, It will end up past $417m, comfortably ahead of Wonder Woman (And, coincidentally, ahead of Toy Story 3, if you want a creepy movie about the loss of childhood innocence.)

The $400m mark allows for slightly larger drops, between 39-40%. 

The Passion of the Christ has the all time record for an R-rated film, at $370.8m. In order to best that, It would need to get just slightly better than 43% drops. 

WB's biggest R-Rated venture is American Sniper. 45% drops puts Pennywise ahead of Chris Kyle, landing around $352m

Flat 50% drops would land It at $317m. 

At 53% drops, It just misses on the triple century mark, requiring some shenanigans to get the last 550k.

54% drops are enough to land It just ahead of The Sixth Sense' actual total.

And 60% drops still get It to $265m, which lands It ahead of Jaws.

So there you have It. This is a pretty basic overview, but we really don't know what sort of staying power It's going to have. If you see that second weekend come anywhere close to the 50% mark, I would not doubt that It will find a final tally in the mid-to-upper $300s. I'll update again next week!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

I've heard once the release the sequel they will release a version cut like the book one movie like The Godfather special edition

If true and the second movie is a success and there is even more unused footage, I could see them releasing that in theaters (especially around Halloween).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, somebody85 said:

If true and the second movie is a success and there is even more unused footage, I could see them releasing that in theaters (especially around Halloween).

And I would gladly pop my ass down for a four hour IT theatrical release LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Going again tonight! 

yeah I may go soon myself

although the drive in is doing IT and Exorcist as a double feature.  decisions

Edited by 75livesinDerry
  • Like 1