Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

On 9/16/2017 at 4:46 AM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Henry and his dad's relationship in the book his much more fleshed-out. His dad is not the sheriff he's just a farmer and he works Henry to the Bone. He also beats Henry constantly for the smallest thing. The reason why Henry was carving the letter H into been at the beginning is because Ben did not let him copy off him in the final exam and Henry was going to fail that class which was going to keep him back in summer school and that would mean he would not be able to help out his dad for the summer with the chores and that caused him to take a severe beating from his father.

Thats a really cool tidbit, pity the movie never went into those details. (Doesnt excuse Henry - but really understand why hes so goddamn unnaturally angry during this scene towards Ben, aside from just seeming like being a dick for the sake of it)

• Like 1

There's a few things in the movie that they left out that really surprised me simply because one quick line could have explained things so much more. One of them is definitely Henry's hatred for Ben. Then again he has hatred towards all seven of them and I guess they just decided to keep the reasons out of the movie. I think they just chose to make Henry an extension of Pennywise reign of terror in a way.

• Like 1

Well yes if you watch the clip by itself it's definitely humorous. But when you watch the movie and you get to that point and you see what's happening, it's definitely more creepy than it is funny.

Pennywise "dancing" in a hellish circus diorama got to be the biggest WTF imagery of the movie for me. It was like a Méliès pandemonium on a bad acid trip.*

Like the diapositive scene was akin to a demonic zoetrope going real south. Really dig the references and metasubtext to early cinema and its theatrics. Those representations subtly harken to the fact that the evil entity has been around for so long, as long as the early aughts of art depiction exists let it be through literature/photography/painting (Derry books), theater (circus, stage theatrics), music (nursery rhyme) or cinema. (Zoetrope, TV).

Every single time, IT "performs" on a virtual screen (book, wall, diorama), he  jumps out of that frame like a demon puppet out of the box coming alive into the three dimensional reality of the kids which is another screen for our dimension, the audience. How staring and reflecting at a representation makes it come alive in the eye of the beholder like a tangible thing affecting our world and bleeding into our psyche. Psychology term "projection" derived from that notion that the images in our head springing from subconcious mind ("ID" in freudian terminology) can mold and alter our perception of reality thus our actions and be "projected" onto living/dead things to the point of deception and self-delusion in order to cope and deal with our feelings, seeing things how we want to see it or unable to see it as it really is by projecting onto others our insecurities. Cf. Bill's guilt over Georgie's death. So Pennywise's manifestations are psychic projections of the "id". (That "ID" psychological notion is called "ça" in french. This is how Stephen King's book and adaptations have been translated in France).

(*As if it is the director's way to circumvent the fact that the kids in the book get real high on fumes to witness the nature of IT in disturbing visions. Pennywise bends their reality but the kids imagination too which is the key to comprehend and ultimately defeat IT, at least in the book in which they take hallucinogen drugs trips and the mini series cf. Stan's "Battery Acid").

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Dash Im assuming English is your second language. I'm pretty good with the English language but sometimes I have no idea what you are saying. Your grasp of History and language and your references are seriously out of control bro. Sometimes I have to look to things up that you're speaking of LOL. I always enjoy reading your posts especially for that reason.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Robertman2 Floats Too said:

The meme of taking the scene where Pennywise dances and putting different songs over it is such an amusing meme

yeah I just saw them on youtube.  It is pretty funny :P 

• Like 1

So this is prob my fav movie of the year.  For those of us a little bit older who were kids in the late 80's/early 90's, this is special.  Haven't seen a movie multiple times in the theatre for awhile- mad max is prob the last which I saw 5 times lol, but I'm def going to see this 3 to 4 times in the theatre.  So stoked its making bank and can't wait for the sequel.  

Edited by holcs
  • Like 2