Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

The great thing about Skarsgard's performance is that it is made of many layers of creepy mannerisms and speeches modulations conveying how "off" Pennywise is, like an alien creature trying hard to embody human-like interactions ("clowning" adults interactions with children) but the mask and costume can't help but crack at the seams to reveal the seething and hungry monster underneath, like a weird mimicry act he can't hold too long due to his urge to feast on fear (great make-up and effects conveying the cracks). He's fascinating to watch, like Jim Carrey and Heath Ledger had a little brother on a cannibal spree.

When

he gets out of the fridge like a contorsionist putting his limbs back as he rises up, towering over Eddie to taunt him and his broken arm.

, I was like "Holy $#!t!", Eugene Tooms-style.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 11:57 AM, fmpro said:

I rewatched the old tv version last night. I forgot how bad it was :gold:

That is what is killing me when I see people say the new IT isn't scary "like the old movie" like seriously?  They say it "ruined the story"! When is the last time these people saw the tv movie? Take off the nostalgia goggles!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

That is what is killing me when I see people say the new IT isn't scary "like the old movie" like seriously?  They say it "ruined the story"! When is the last time these people saw the tv movie? Take off the nostalgia goggles!

As a 7 year old kid the movie's terrifying. As an adult in his 20's all you can think is this is what scared me so bad. I still enjoy the miniseries overall but scary it is not. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

As a 7 year old kid the movie's terrifying. As an adult in his 20's all you can think is this is what scared me so bad. I still enjoy the miniseries overall but scary it is not. 

It's the thing that people don't understand about the subjective notion of fear. When people in their twenties-thirties are going "this new IT movie wasn't scary at all!" (Like a bragging pat for being tough watching a movie), that's kind of the point. Adults weren't scared by the mini-series either while those not scared by the movie today were scared by the mini-series when they were kids.(Like being afraid of the dark then finding the switch to turn the light on to realize your fear was all in your head). That echoes with the fact that the adults in the movie don't see what children are afraid of, they're unable to embrace their children POV drawing a schism between them that Pennywise feeds on, just like adults can be dismissal about a youngling feeling genuinely scared by this movie just because they don't feel the same.

If I was a kid today in 2017, this movie would scare me shitless. Even more than the mini-series. (Georgie's demise) And the mini-series gave me nightmares despite being tamer. If I was a parent too, the movie's heavy-handed depiction of parenthood  (in its failure or absence) and the overbearing influence on a child's personal development is the most creepy thing. Kids feel helpless and lonely where they should be safe and protected, alienated by their own family, that's something very real and heartwrenching.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

It's the thing that people don't understand about the subjective notion of fear. When people in their twenties-thirties are going "this new IT movie wasn't scary at all!" (Like a bragging pat for being tough watching a movie), that's kind of the point. Adults weren't scared by the mini-series either while those not scared by the movie today were scared by the mini-series when they were kids.(Like being afraid of the dark then finding the switch to turn the light on to realize your fear was all in your head). That echoes with the fact that the adults in the movie don't see what children are afraid of, they're unable to embrace their children POV drawing a schism between them that Pennywise feeds on, just like adults can be dismissal about a youngling feeling genuinely scared by this movie just because they don't feel the same.

If I was a kid today in 2017, this movie would scare me shitless. Even more than the mini-series. (Georgie's demise) And the mini-series gave me nightmares despite being tamer. If I was a parent too, the movie's heavy-handed depiction of parenthood  (in its failure or absence) and the overbearing influence on a child's personal development is the most creepy thing. Kids feel helpless and lonely where they should be safe alienated by their own family, that's something very real and heartwrenching.

The overall consesus with those around me is that even though they weren't scared (Horror films usually don't scare me anyway) they still thought it was a great movie. Plus while I may not have been scared there were moments where i felt disturbed and that's more than I can say for a lot of horror films these days.

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

If I was a kid today in 2017, this movie would scare me shitless. Even more than the mini-series. (Georgie's demise) And the mini-series gave me nightmares despite being tamer. If I was a parent too, the movie's heavy-handed depiction of parenthood  (in its failure or absence) and the overbearing influence on a child's personal development is the most creepy thing. Kids feel helpless and lonely where they should be safe and protected, alienated by their own family, that's something very real and heartwrenching.

200.gif

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Hey @Stutterng baumer Denbrough, got a question for you.

I just picked up a copy of IT and was wondering if it's a novel that starts slowly or if it's pretty intense from the start? Not that it will impact me reading it one way or the other, just curious.

Thanks!

The novel starts off with a bang.  And from there it's all background into the losers as adults.  But it's never boring.  The detail King gives you about everything is incredible and it keeps you turning the pages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The novel starts off with a bang.  And from there it's all background into the losers as adults.  But it's never boring.  The detail King gives you about everything is incredible and it keeps you turning the pages.

I'm 72 pages in and I feel like I've read so much more than that. Detail is right!

Another question, if you don't mind? You might have discussed this already but who would you be your picks for the adult losers club cast?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

I'm 72 pages in and I feel like I've read so much more than that. Detail is right!

Another question, if you don't mind? You might have discussed this already but who would you be your picks for the adult losers club cast?

So glad you are liking it.  If you like it so far, you ain't read nothin yet lol.  You haven't even got to the kids yet.

As for the adult cast, I don't really have any preferences with the exception of Chastain as Bev and I'd love to see a really good looking dude play Ben.  Bradley cooper or Chris Pratt would be cool.