Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

BTW Pennywise never says "You'll float too" as he's killing Georgie in the opening scene, right? (I don't think they even talk about balloons.) I was sure I didn't hear it, so the line's subsequent appearance, about halfway through, felt kind of random and weightless not being a callback to anything. 

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Last thing from me is that I really need to pay more attention to the age ratings on movies going forward. I went with my brother and two mates. Whenever Bev showed up on screen there'd be some light cheering, it was disturbing. At one point the "oohs" and "ahhs" got too much my brother finally snapped, turned his head to loudest group, kissed his teeth and asked them what the flying fuck is wrong with them, people started to clap. As it turns out that group was only 15 years old. The movie is rated 15 in the UK, and presumably the people making noises were kids. they were silent and then two of them just burst out going "we're 15, we're 15." They were dead silent for the rest of the movie. We went up and apologised after and the poor bloody things told us not to worry, they had no idea how bad it looked until my brother said something. They were quite embarrassed.

i'm fucking ROLLING at this. lmao.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Just got back.

The film is good. Not great. Lots of humour, lot of heart. I dont watch horror films at all but this film isn't that scary, I imagine a lot of kids are gonna be watching this for years to come and having over the top gore and jump scares would've turned them off. The film is honestly suitable for kids 12 and up. I really can't wait to watch this with my kid in a couple of years. 

There's some problems that really do hurt IT. At times it appears as if these kids go AFK and just deactivate. They'll all be in a group and 3 of them would just say and do nothing, just stand there like NPC's in a video game. The young black kid did nothing for most the group scenes he was in, it felt like he got 3 lines in total. Same goes for the Jewish boy, there's a scene where they quickly put focus on him and I pretty much forgot he was still in the movie. The fat kid was quite active in the beginning and became a mute by the end. The inevitable group hug just felt so disappointingly flat. I just find it so odd that for a series inspired by Stephen King 'Stranger Things' did this whole thing way better than IT.

In my opinion the bullies needed to be aged down to the kids age. Going to school I remember seeing kids being bullied but this shit was ridiculous. The main bully has these two fully grown goons with him and they terrorise these kids. They kids look like kids and it's implied that these bullies are at least 16. I don't know how things are done in America but you'd get rushed for doing that shit in my school and you'd be laughed at for being so pathetic. A full 16 year old boy picking on 12 year olds... I get that the adults have something off with them but what about the other 16 year olds? They're not seeing this shit?

Last thing from me is that I really need to pay more attention to the age ratings on movies going forward. I went with my brother and two mates. Whenever Bev showed up on screen there'd be some light cheering, it was disturbing. At one point the "oohs" and "ahhs" got too much my brother finally snapped, turned his head to loudest group, kissed his teeth and asked them what the flying fuck is wrong with them, people started to clap. As it turns out that group was only 15 years old. The movie is rated 15 in the UK, and presumably the people making noises were kids. they were silent and then two of them just burst out going "we're 15, we're 15." They were dead silent for the rest of the movie. We went up and apologised after and the poor bloody things told us not to worry, they had no idea how bad it looked until my brother said something. They were quite embarrassed.

Picturing the scene like this

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

This gave me LIFE.

• Like 1

I'd give this a solid B, I was never bored and I liked the kids, especially the girl.  I think if I could sum up what this movie is missing it would be elegance.  Its just not organic enough to ever truly soar and be genuinely thrilling or disturbing like one of my favorite horror movies THE MIST which ironically is another Stephen King adaptation.  There are moments in this that could've been insane if they went all the way.

• Like 1

I have to say, after reading the second half of Fukunaga's first draft script, I'm happy that he left the project. That draft was as mediocre as they come.

If Pennywise had turned into a fucking starfish creature, I would have been disappointed.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Im with @75livesinDerry

I think those of us who have a really strong connection to the book are going to be disappointed in the film. There are way too many changes that I don't understand and as he said as well they took away the Barons they changed Mike and Ben's character, Henry wasn't anything like he was in the book and there was also a few other changes I wasn't too happy with either. Getting the losers at one point to fight with each other never happens like that in the book and Beverly was never captured in the book never a damsel distress in the book and she was actually the one who had the best shot in the book and she does the most damage to the clown at one point in the book. As a straight-up horror film it was really good. It was scary it was tense and it had some great character development with the kids. But as a book purist the movie definitely let me down.

Yea, sorry, but I'm not sure why you're being a book purist. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Im with @75livesinDerry

I think those of us who have a really strong connection to the book are going to be disappointed in the film. There are way too many changes that I don't understand and as he said as well they took away the Barons they changed Mike and Ben's character, Henry wasn't anything like he was in the book and there was also a few other changes I wasn't too happy with either. Getting the losers at one point to fight with each other never happens like that in the book and Beverly was never captured in the book never a damsel distress in the book and she was actually the one who had the best shot in the book and she does the most damage to the clown at one point in the book. As a straight-up horror film it was really good. It was scary it was tense and it had some great character development with the kids. But as a book purist the movie definitely let me down.

Thanks for the balanced review.

I always look forward to your opinions about film (particularly when it comes to horror films!)...

Believe it or not, I have not read the novel.

Should I read it first than watch the film?

• Like 1