Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Thanks for the balanced review.

I always look forward to your opinions about film (particularly when it comes to horror films!)...

Believe it or not, I have not read the novel.

Should I read it first than watch the film?

NO!

See the movie first...please.

Then read the book.  I think this way you will love them both.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Anyone else notice that one kid playing Street Fighter 1 in a Street Fighter 2 cabinet, or how the TV in stutter kids’ House is clearly from the early 2000s?

No.  Because if you go in looking for stuff like that then you are taking yourself out of the movie right away.

16 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No.  Because if you go in looking for stuff like that then you are taking yourself out of the movie right away.

Ooooh. I love looking for little details in films. I’m one of those people that try to read the moving news scroll at the bottom of the screen whenever a character is watching the news on TV.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Ooooh. I love looking for little details in films. I’m one of those people that try to read the moving news scroll at the bottom of the screen whenever a character is watching the news on TV.

Actually, I do as well. :)

46 minutes ago, AJG said:

Anyone else notice that one kid playing Street Fighter 1 in a Street Fighter 2 cabinet, or how the TV in stutter kids’ House is clearly from the early 2000s?

I'm amazed they showed Street Fighter 1. I tend to forget that it actually exists.

There was a few nods to the book that I would like to talk about but it probably is a spoiler for the book and maybe the next film.  But i will say I'm glad they at least made mention of it 

Edited by 75livesinDerry

18 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

Man, that Stranger Things kid is gonna grow up to be the next Samuel L Jackson if he keeps dropping F bombs like he did.

Ritchie was awesome! Now I feel like I should watch Stranger Things...at least before season 2 premieres. Hoping it's like It and more creepy than outright scary. 

40 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Ritchie was awesome! Now I feel like I should watch Stranger Things...at least before season 2 premieres. Hoping it's like It and more creepy than outright scary. 

It's definitely creepy but not anything close to IT. It's a lot more sci-fi-ish, mixed with 80s nostalgia, (didn't care for it since I'm a 99 kid), and humor.

It does have some grotesque scenes though, and the main characters are very close to the losers club, which is probably on purpose since its inspired by it. 

Also, the adults also get great focus and one of them could be considered the main character, which is the opposite of all the creepy fucks in Derry who get a couple minutes of screen time.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Sadly, he doesn't cuss once on Stranger Things. He's much more of a earnest, meek Bill-type on that show. 

• Thanks 1

Ive just seen it.

I enjoyed it a lot but it isn't even remotely scary...creepy, yes but not scary. I did like that their real life issues (sex abuse, controlling mother, bullying etc...) was much more disturbing then Pennywise but overall it was not really scary.

The kids were great. They all felt like real children and all were developed well ( Mike could have had much more to do then they gave him).

There was an editing problem and it jumped a little too fast into dealing with the scares rather then build up tension and atmosphere.

Still I enjoyed it and I hope the sequel builds more layers.

8/10

It's better if you take it as a coming of age tale with horror elements

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deja23 said:

Stranger Things is better than this movie. The show has less kids and it allows for a tighter group dynamic and for each character to properly serve the entire story, compared to IT which sadly has certain kids turn up, say 5 lines and sorta stick around in the background for the rest of the movie (for me a number of IT kids felt more like acquaintances to each other rather than friends and it lowered the emotional stakes of the thing). Better balance of tense moments, drama, and comedy bits too. I wouldn’t say the show is entirety creepy or even scary though. It’s more along the lines of ET just with some dark visuals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1