Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

So, I really, really liked this film. My critiques are almost verbatim what @Stutterng baumer Denbrough and @75livesinDerry have already posted so I don't have too much else to add to that. However, my biggest concern is how these changes will trickle down into the second part. Will Ben's historian angle mean that him and Mike switch places in the second part? And what about Henry?

I'm pretty open to casting ideas for part 1. I watched Grace Randolph's suggestions and while I don't agree with most of them, I love the idea of Jason Bateman as adult Bill. I think he would be so so perfect.

Edited by nomyth
  • Like 1

I've heard suggestions of Jeremy Renner for both Adult Bill and Adult Ben. He seems more of a Bill to me. Also heard Tobey Maguire for Adult Bill.

Chadwick Boseman seems to be the Internet favorite for Adult Mike. Same with Bill Hader for Adult Richie.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:53 AM, Valonqar said:

it was awesome that the audience didn't blink when Georgie's got his ram bit off but when the bad giy (forgot the name) threatened to kill a kitty there were many audible "Oh, no!"'s in the auditorium!  :hi5:

This exact reaction happened at my screening lmao.  Everyone was audibly upset when they picked the cat up.

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I saw the Georgie scene online. The kids acting was great but Pennywise face looked derpy and fake when he bit him 

Yeah the way the face moves isn’t the greatest. It expands and opens like a Snapchat filter. Like seeing a picture on a balloon become bigger as you pump more air into it. It’s a cheesy 90s era effect.

I wonder how much better it would’ve been to see Pennywises’ face slowly tear open as it expands. To see all the flesh and muscle rip apart as his mouth opens.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I thought we could agree on loving the same horror movie, baum. </3

Happy to report that I just got out of my second showing of it and this time I'm pretty much loved it. I allowed myself to go into it and not compare it to the book. And it allowed me to enjoy it so much more.

@75livesinDerry im curious how you felt after your second viewing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Happy to report that I just got out of my second showing of it and this time I'm pretty much loved it. I allowed myself to go into it and not compare it to the book. And it allowed me to enjoy it so much more.

YAAAAS. I learned to not compare movies to the books ever since the Potter films started taking out chunks from the book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

That was me on my first viewing.  Completely disassociated from the book and as such, I loved it.

The scene with Bev and Ben toward the end was super fucking sweet and got great reactions.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Yeah i really liked it to love it now.  going in completely blank and letting the film just be more its own made a huge difference. I may even see it again 

• Like 1

Gosh, I wish I could see this again in theaters but I probably won't have a chance to. While I had my critiques, I really did love the movie. The kids were so fantastic and the story itself is one of the best of all time, imo. The movie is ridiculously entertaining and charming and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

The parts inside the house on Niebolt St were probably my favorite. The splitting up of Bill, Eddie and Richie was so fun and exciting and my audience was losing their shit (I just loved when Eddie was yelling at Richie not to touch him). Also thought Stan's visions of the woman in the picture were incredibly chilling. I thought that was the scariest form Pennywise took in the film. Waiting for the next film is going to be low key torturous.

I think it's the tonal shifts that make this movie so memorable.

It goes from predestrian after school special to The Exorcist level disturbing on a dime.

This forces you to pay close attention and drags you in which ultimately heightens the impact.

Plus there's enough nightmare fuel to be compelling to even the most cynical and hardened movie goer.

I love it when the studios aim for the fences and hit a homerun. Everybody wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved everything with the kids, but I honestly hated Pennywise. I never found him to be scary or intimidating, and the CGI used on him took me right out of the movie. 

I went to go see it again today, but every screening was sold out. Maybe that was for the best.