Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

40 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Regardless, presales are presales

It is not really that different, just an other variable, unlike China pre-sales couple of days before the release do tend to be a relatively small minority of a movie total first weekend business, you still need to extrapolate your pre-sales sales into a OW numbers using a bank of comparable movie.

If you use the sames formula (say 2 days before release pre-sales * 12) for a movie like Sully than a 3D movie playing a lot on screen with pre-assigned seat and so on, I imagine it would give you terrible result.

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is not really that different, just an other variable, unlike China pre-sales couple of days before the release do tend to be a relatively small minority of a movie total first weekend business, you still need to extrapolate your pre-sales sales into a OW numbers using a bank of comparable movie.

If you use the sames formula (say 2 days before release pre-sales * 12) for a movie like Sully than a 3D movie playing a lot on screen with pre-assigned seat and so on, I imagine it would give you terrible result.

Final question would be:  Is it time to change the formula?  Or do you think this and Deadpool are truly rare exceptions to the formula?

7 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Final question would be:  Is it time to change the formula?  Or do you think this and Deadpool are truly rare exceptions to the formula?

If I understand correctly, the models are upgraded all the time, they are empirically built over the bank of comparable that is added for every movie that was tracked after they open. Every new movie influence the tracking of future release.

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If I understand correctly, the models are upgraded all the time, they are empirically built over the bank of comparable that is added for every movie that was tracked after they open. Every new movie influence the tracking of future release.

Do more recent films carry more weight in the model? Because simply adding a new data point is very slow to acknowledge a true shift and will continue to underestimate for some time.

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

8 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Do more recent films carry more weight in the model? Because simply adding a new data point is very slow to acknowledge a true shift and will continue to underestimate for some time.

I would think so yes (I doubt they put 90s, early 2000s movie in there for example), I would guess more similar release date/pattern can also be used in their model.

They run the last year newest release in it, and check how well the model predicted them.

13 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Moderation:

Take the casting of the sequel to the spoiler thread. 

Sorry, you're right.  I didn't mean to do that :( even though I did it in another thread 

Edited by 75livesinDerry

1 hour ago, 75livesinDerry said:

Sorry, you're right.  I didn't mean to do that :( even though I did it in another thread 

It's a grey area since some of the actors have given interviews about it.

However we do have 2 spoiler threads and the Sequel thread above where it can talked about.

• Like 1

Several questions I need answered since I havent read the book:

- Was the pharmacist (in the book) a paedophile? After watching the film I was wondering whether Bev flirted with him because she knew/suspected he was, maybe based on prior interactions? Or is he just meant to be some creepy dude dont read into it too much etc

- Was Bevs dad (in the book) explicitly stated as sexually abusing or molesting her? Or is it kept merely implied/ambiguous  - like the film?

- What extent of abuse did Henry suffer at home? (film implied he was emotionally abusive for sure, and i read scenes were filmed or planned showing he was physically abusive as well?)

- Is 'Bevs fear', the fear of blood/first period, because the dad was going to see that 'first blood' as a sign she was now a woman and can start abusing her in a more explicit way than previously? (ie maybe he was just touching her before, but now that shes 'a woman', he might want to start doing other things etc etc)

- Are any of the boys implied to be gay in the novel? (Including the bullies, and I think its eddie the miniseries implied might have been?)

Edited by Tyrian

16 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

King has teased a sequel for years - several of his other books imply that Pennywise is still around in the present. I'm surprised he didn't write it for the 27th anniversary of It, but maybe the success of the movie will finally convince him to do it, or at least allow someone else to write an authorized sequel.

King teases sequels that never happen all the time. He has been talking about a "Salem's Lot" sequel for years.

And I ,for one, am glad that King has never allowed "Authroized" sequels to his novels,since things of that type (not written by the original author) are pure grade B or lower hackwork.

18 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Ive never read the book..I thought the line was a reference to Georgie and Bill talking about the boat floating at the beginning and then I realized the kids themselves are the ones floating down there in the sewer.

I have a few questions about the movie if anyone knows the answers ..

Did Bev kill her father when she hit him with the sink? Is that why she's leaving at the end? You'd think the police would have questions.

Did the kids who were floating go back home? I didn't hear anything about people being happy their kids are back.

Why did it eat Georgie but not Bev? Cause she wasn't afraid?

Why are all the adults weird? Does Pennywise have control of them? Is that why it was able to manipulate Henry cause he was older?

Bev Killing her Father is the film's biggest WTF since

Spoiler

that does NOT happen in the novel. Bev is not directly involved in her father's death.

Agreed that is a huge plothole though.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, AndyLL said:

It's a grey area since some of the actors have given interviews about it.

However we do have 2 spoiler threads and the Sequel thread above where it can talked about.

Oh I completely understand.  It's why I apologized.  It's all good, I won't do it again :)