Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

The Wrap goes into more detail about this

Cary Fukunaga Out as Director of Stephen King’s ‘It’ at New Line (Exclusive)

Budget problems?

Didn't the 1990 IT miniseries cost like 3 million to make? I thought it looked good even with the lack of R rated violence. Can't they make two movies for 15m? What's so expensive about putting a guy in a scary clown suit?

Also the studio wants it to be one movie instead of two? Lame! :(

Edited by Mojoguy

Get Frank Darabont. He owes King his career.

Frank Darabont is still sulking after being fired from the Walking Dead.

http://deadline.com/2013/12/walking-dead-frank-darabont-lawsuit-amc-653569/

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/frank-darabont-rips-sociopaths-who-fired-him-from-walking-dead-1200855593/

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

From that The Wrap article:

"Another source indicated that New Line was getting cold feet about the project in the wake of the less-than-stellar opening of “Poltergeist,” which featured a clown in its marketing materials."

LOL studios are so retarded. Good God.

• Like 7

From that The Wrap article:

"Another source indicated that New Line was getting cold feet about the project in the wake of the less-than-stellar opening of “Poltergeist,” which featured a clown in its marketing materials."

LOL studios are so retarded. Good God.

I actually think the clown was a poor way to market Poltergeist, since the original movie is mostly recognizable by the imaginary of the little girl touching the TV screen. I have never seen the original and I would easily recognize that image from it. Never understood why the final poster was the clown doll. But that reason for pulling the plug on It is fucking absurd. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

From the article

King, for his part, weighed in on Twitter with his own dark sense of humor, which is a hallmark of his writing.

The remake of IT may be dead–or undead–but we'll always have Tim Curry. He's still floating down in the sewers of Derry.

- Stephen King (@StephenKing) May 25, 2015

Looks like even Stephen King loved Curry as It.

Curry was brilliant in the role! Even with the miniseries' flaws, he always stole every scene he was in! :bop:

• Like 2

Cary Fukunaga Offers New Details on Why ‘It’ Remake Fell Apart

Fukunaga: “I was trying to make an unconventional horror film. It didn’t fit into the algorithm of what they knew they could spend and make money back on based on not offending their standard genre audience. Our budget was perfectly fine. We were always hovering at the $32 million mark, which was their budget. It was the creative that we were really battling. It was two movies. They didn’t care about that. In the first movie, what I was trying to do was an elevated horror film with actual characters. They didn’t want any characters. They wanted archetypes and scares. I wrote the script. They wanted me to make a much more inoffensive, conventional script. But I don’t think you can do proper Stephen King and make it inoffensive.

“The main difference was making Pennywise more than just the clown. After 30 years of villains that could read the emotional minds of characters and scare them, trying to find really sadistic and intelligent ways he scares children, and also the children had real lives prior to being scared. And all that character work takes time. It’s a slow build, but it’s worth it, especially by the second film. But definitely even in the first film, it pays off.

“It was being rejected. Every little thing was being rejected and asked for changes. Our conversations weren’t dramatic. It was just quietly acrimonious. We didn’t want to make the same movie. We’d already spent millions on pre-production. I certainly did not want to make a movie where I was being micro-managed all the way through production, so I couldn’t be free to actually make something good for them. I never desire to screw something up. I desire to make something as good as possible.

“We invested years and so much anecdotal storytelling in it. Chase and I both put our childhood in that story. So our biggest fear was they were going to take our script and bastardize it. So I’m actually thankful that they are going to rewrite the script. I wouldn’t want them to stealing our childhood memories and using that. I mean, I’m not sure if the fans would have liked what I would had done. I was honoring King’s spirit of it, but I needed to update it. King saw an earlier draft and liked it.”

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/cary-fukunaga-it-exit-1201584416/

• Like 2

The book is over a thousand pages long.  I'm wondering why Cary thought they needed his childhood memories to flesh out the characters or plot line  Oh yeah -- he needed to update it.  Still, the studio ideas on the other end sound less promising

The best parts of the book & miniseries are when they are children - take that out of the movie & what exactly is left??  I loved the fact that these misfit children found each other & together they could conquer Pennywise & the bullies.  Just sounds like a complete mess so far!

• Like 4