baumer

Weekend Estimates pg 60 Mad3 60.3 Prom 50.0

FRIDAY 4:30 PM UPDATE: Any worries about a Summer 2012 slump are officially gone. Because today’s numbers and this weekend’s forecasts just keep getting better and better. Twentieth Century Fox‘s Avatar-savvy marketing that kept Ridley Scott’s sci-fi thriller under wraps really motivated moviegoers. Rival studios now say Prometheus is looking to open with a huge $26M Friday and $68M weekend. That’s rare indeed for an R-rated pic. But Fox, the studio that specializes in lowering expectations, disputes thos numbers. “There is no mathematical scenario I know of that we hit $68M. Even at $26M for today, we get to $66.5M – and there is nothing on this green earth that shows us hitting $26M today,” a Fox exec huffed at me. “I could see us doing $22M today which would likely get us to $56M.” No matter, a great result.

FRIDAY 4:30 PM UPDATE: Any worries about a Summer 2012 slump are officially gone. Because today’s numbers and this weekend’s forecasts just keep getting better and better. Twentieth Century Fox‘s Avatar-savvy marketing that kept Ridley Scott’s sci-fi thriller under wraps really motivated moviegoers. Rival studios now say Prometheus is looking to open with a huge $26M Friday and $68M weekend. That’s rare indeed for an R-rated pic. But Fox, the studio that specializes in lowering expectations, disputes thos numbers. “There is no mathematical scenario I know of that we hit $68M. Even at $26M for today, we get to $66.5M – and there is nothing on this green earth that shows us hitting $26M today,” a Fox exec huffed at me. “I could see us doing $22M today which would likely get us to $56M.” No matter, a great result.

I think Universal got Fox beat in the "lowering expectations" department. SWATH at 36m.

I think Fox is saying that because Friday is great, they don't know what Saturday is gonna bring.

Hmmm. Is THR right then?

No, why on earth will you try to lower expectations for Friday at this point in time? I am not sure about 22 but I am inclined to believe Fox exec who says they won't get to 26 million.

I'm really curious to find out what Prometheus' CinemaScore will be.

So am I and it probably won't be pretty. But right now it doesn't matter coz it's time to:

Posted Image

Edit: Dammit, why isn't it working? Oh well, it's the breakdancing bear gif if anyone was wondering.

Edited by Bitcher

Fox's numbers sound more sensible, and I'm sure the rival studios are coming in a bit high so they can spin disappointment. Reality is probably somewhere in between, closer to Fox's than the higher numbers.

Edited by Telemachos