lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

They need to build the story around an engaging human character like the way TF did. I don't quite like Shia Le Bouf, his idea of acting is to hyperventilate excessively. But GA seems to attach themselves to this kid while the giant robots do their thing. GODZILLA is a one-note force of destruction, it has no story without real human characters. Then again look at WWZ: minimal plot, audience came anyway.

I agree with this 100%. It will be interesting how Legendary moves forward after the 2014 release regarding Godzilla. I'm curious to see how Warner promotes this thing (though I bet Legendary has something in the works after the awful PR marketing)..what's working in Godzilla's favor is that its a recognizable name and with okay promotion it SHOULD have a respectful BO or better (depending on marketing). I wouldn't be surprised if Uni-Leg announce a untitled Godzilla project (possibly vs Kong) in the next two years.

I like what Universal did with OBLIVION but other than the Gru/Minions and 

FF franchise which is coming to an end, what else they got? BOURNE 

LEGACY is a non-starter & JPIV seems to be in trouble with so many

delays and date shuffling. How many more Minions movies they could do?

On the other hand, Disney could afford to be non-creative & innovative.

They are on autopilot for at least 10 years with Pixar, Lucasfilm &

Marvel Studios as part of their team. 

I can guarantee you Universal has no plans to let F&F die any time soon.

• Like 2

The leasing rights to Godzilla belong to Legendary..not Warner. Legendary purchased the leasing rights to Godzilla years ago and after next year release..WB won't be distributing any more Godzilla films while Legendary have the rights.

You're right, I totally forgot about that. Awesome! Just imagine a well made Godzilla film with Universal marketing, smash hit.

Speaking of which since WB won't give a flying fuck about Godzilla next summer, and since it will then be a Universal franchise, they should buy the distribution rights to the film from WB and release it themselves.

Universal back at #1 in studio market-share for January 1 - July 25th.

They did a great job with FF6, a no-fuss, all-buzz action thriller with fast cars.

Other studios scrambling to inject post-911 dramatic weight into their action

movies, trying to emulate the success of Nolan TDK with little success while

confusing the GA who comes for entertainment.

Edited by zackzack

Disney will definiltely end up at #1. They have Thor to come

Like I say, whoever at Paramount that lets go of Marvel

is crazy. Maybe they don't have the financial upper-hand like

Disney. But now, all Disney needs to do is to go on autopilot:

2 Marvel movies/year, 1 SW movie/year, 1 Pixar/year,

1 Disney animation/year, top share of the year, for years to come.

problem with Marvel, POC and SW is that their profit to expense ratio is pretty slim. DM2 will make 800 global on a 76m budget and Purge will make around 90m on a 3m budget....where as Iron Man 3 made 1.4 on a 200 m budget..Disney can remain No.1 for years to come, but that does not guarantee profit for them as a studio..Disney should try to make some REAL Movies in between for a change.

Universal still has 2 Guns, Kick Ass 2, Riddick, Rush, The Best Man Holiday and 47 Ronin. If a couple of those over-perform they'll have a legitimate shot at #1 for the year. Even if they miss #1, they're far and away going to have the best year in company history.

Seein as how they have Thor and frozen you're probably right but the problem with Disney is that they always give they're films huge budgets while most of Universal's successes this year have been pretty low budget. So in the end Universal will probably actually make more money

Universal still has 2 Guns, Kick Ass 2, Riddick, Rush, The Best Man Holiday and 47 Ronin. If a couple of those over-perform they'll have a legitimate shot at #1 for the year. Even if they miss #1, they're far and away going to have the best year in company history.

Disney has the following:

PLANES

THE FIFTH ESTATE

THOR: THE DARK WORLD

DELIVERY MAN

FROZEN

SAVING MR. BANKS

PLANES

THE FIFTH ESTATE

DELIVERY MAN

FROZEN

SAVING MR. BANKS

Hanks hasn't had a non-sequel/Dan Brown adaptation $100 million grosser in ages, Delivery Man will likely continue Vince Vaughn's flop parade, The Fifth Estate is as irrelevant as possible and Planes could very well be a disaster. Thor and Frozen can do very well, but it's still not set in stone that Disney will be #1 for the year. TLR tanking and Oz not replicating AIW's success hurt them this year.

PLANES

THE FIFTH ESTATE

DELIVERY MAN

FROZEN

SAVING MR. BANKS

All of UNI's minus KA2 and BMH right now have 100M potential. Planes, TFE, Banks and DM aren't 100M movies now. DIS could win, but it would be due to one movie.

All of UNI's minus KA2 and BMH right now have 100M potential. Planes, TFE, Banks and DM aren't 100M movies now. DIS could win, but it would be due to one movie.

Sorry but no way does riddick have 100m potential. It could maybe hit 50m with a good marketing campaign and decent reviews, but 100m is impossible for a hard r rated sci-fi actioner.

Sorry but no way does riddick have 100m potential. It could maybe hit 50m with a good marketing campaign and decent reviews, but 100m is impossible for a hard r rated sci-fi actioner.

Point still stands take away TDW much closer race.

Legendary Pictures Will Focus on Fanboy Films in Deal With Universal
The studio chief made it sound as though Universal had figured out a structure that worked. The studio is tasking "Despicable Me" creator Chris Meledandri's Illumination Entertainment with crafting new animated franchises, leaving the fanboy films to Legendary and allowing Universal to handle the rest of the development.

Animation

Fanboy

Rest of slate