Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

10 hours ago, The Futurist said:

With time, people will come around.

People will realize how Russos bros pulled off nothing short of a breezing miracle juggling so many threads and characters without half-baked shortshifts, every pieces of the over-arching puzzle fall into places, given the state of Hollywood blockbusters screenwriting, it's easy to see how this could have been a clunky mess.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

On 13/08/2016 at 3:46 AM, Kalo said:

Joy > American Hustle > Silver Linings Playbook. 

I definitely think JLaw's gave her best performance in Joy, not to say that she gave a bad performance in the other two, and as controversial as it is to say, I think she deserved her Oscar for SLP.

3 hours ago, Gamb1993 said:

I definitely think JLaw's gave her best performance in Joy, not to say that she gave a bad performance in the other two, and as controversial as it is to say, I think she deserved her Oscar for SLP.

Yeah I was surprised with how much I liked her performance in Joy. it was so much more subtle then I was expecting. I just liked the story, it was small but sweet. not that I didn't like the other two, but I do feel SLP is a bit overrated. and Joy is definitely underrated.

On 8/15/2016 at 10:43 AM, dashrendar44 said:

People will realize how Russos bros pulled off nothing short of a breezing miracle juggling so many threads and characters without half-baked shortshifts, every pieces of the over-arching puzzle fall into places, given the state of Hollywood blockbusters screenwriting, it's easy to see how this could have been a clunky mess.

Completely agree, that screenplay was something else, considering all the loopholes, characters, plot holes of previous movies, individual character arcs, and new characters it had to introduce all in one movie. and they made it look easy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kalo said:

Yeah I was surprised with how much I liked her performance in Joy. it was so much more subtle then I was expecting. I just liked the story, it was small but sweet. not that I didn't like the other two, but I do feel SLP is a bit overrated. and Joy is definitely underrated.

Agreed generally, I feel like Joy needed to have a tighter story though, and get rid of some of the weirder stuff like the soap opera bits. But yes, it has the best JLaw performance.

Million Dollar Baby is Clint Eastwood's best film.

I mean, yes, it did win Best Picture and it made a ton of money for a serious drama, but given the demographics here and the post-Oscar backlash the film received on the internet, I get the feeling that this opinion is at least somewhat unpopular. ;) Nevertheless, even without any gunslinging cowboys or cops, it's Eastwood's most impactful film thanks to its gut-wrenching drama and raw, committed performances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Million Dollar Baby is Clint Eastwood's best film.

I mean, yes, it did win Best Picture and it made a ton of money for a serious drama, but given the demographics here and the post-Oscar backlash the film received on the internet, I get the feeling that this opinion is at least somewhat unpopular. ;) Nevertheless, even without any gunslinging cowboys or cops, it's Eastwood's most impactful film thanks to its gut-wrenching drama and raw, committed performances.

I'll go more controversial and say Invictus is the best movie he's directed. BUT, I will admit that is mainly because of a huge bias towards seeing a big movie about Rugby. 

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Bad Moms and Daddy's Home are some of the most re-watchable and funny comedies of the 2010's.

lol

And an unpopular BOT opinion!

When giving a box office number unless already stated it's domestic by the title, you should state that you mean domestic. It's confusing and WW should be the default when stating a number. Also this confuses the hell out of people in real life aswell, I had that cocky guy talking and talking. Somehow he brings up that Star Wars TFA was the highest grossing film all time. I say "you mean only in America right, because Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time". He get's really cocksure of himself and it was almost heartbreaking how quiet he went once we googled it. My point is this guy was TRICKED by a clickbait article with the title "TFA GROSSES THE MOST MONEY OF ALL TIME", then in the article it states it meant domestic. tdlr: america sucks, ww is everything