Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Manchester by the Sea is a morally corrupt & emotionnally manipulative movie.

Cinephiles  have really low standards these days, they shouldn't settle for this tripe.

But because not many serious or adult or whatever you want to call them movies are made these days, they scream "masterpiece !" the minute there isn't a superhero in it.

Knowledgeable cinephiles, you deserve better, pull yourselves together & ask for transcendant moviemaking, not mundane over the top drama.

That Manchester by the Sea post is baffling from top to bottom. Finding it overrated is something I can understand, but it's so nuanced and restrained that it's not even vaguely "over the top." And for what it's worth, it's not just the stuffy cinephile elite who are eating it up; I saw it with two near-capacity crowds that both had nothing but high praise for it on the way out.

9 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

That Manchester by the Sea post is baffling from top to bottom. Finding it overrated is something I can understand, but it's so nuanced and restrained that it's not even vaguely "over the top." And for what it's worth, it's not just the stuffy cinephile elite who are eating it up; I saw it with two near-capacity crowds that both had nothing but high praise for it on the way out.

It's just Futurist being himself, don't take the bait :lol: 

On 24 décembre 2016 at 11:50 PM, Webslinger said:

Emotionnal blackmail & manipulation works on everybody, it doesn't require much talent to make the audience sympathize for your characters when you afflict them with all the horrors one can experience throughout life in just ONE movie.

That poor kid, I was just shaking my head listing what all of the tragic things his relatives suffered through in this sob story.

As for the nuance thing, the middle scene of the  movie, AKA the BIg reveal was as delicate & subtle as an Innaritu film.

Inarittu al least is not some basic like Kennteh Lonergan when it comes to the choice of your music cue for "DRAMA !"

Edited by The Futurist

Fellowship of the Ring is the worst (or least best, as it's still amazing and in my top 5 films) LOTR movie, mainly due to the lack of Gollum and none of the huge, epic battles.

RotK is my favourite, and my #1 movie ever, just edging out TDK, Fury Road and the other two LOTR movies.

Edit: Ha, I just saw this 3-year-old post from Baumer! I disagree with him on almost every movie opinion. :)

On 25/07/2013 at 2:50 PM, Christmas Baumer said:

The only LOTR film that is worthy of its lofty place amongst the best films of all time is FOTR, the others range from crap to okay.

Edited by m3racer123

On 4/8/2014 at 0:56 AM, Vanilla said:

Star Wars is by far the most over rated film series in history. Don't get the love for these films. This is more about a genre but I can not stand the look of anime. It all looks horrible to me.

I second all of this. 

I don't get what's so special/good about Star Wars (for the modern generation, I'm 20) besides its historical significance as a film. 

And I also really dislike anime. Watched it all the time as a kid, but I can hardly stand it now.

:ph34r::sweat:

TTT and ROTK are both vastly inferior to FOTR. The sequels suffer from poor pacing and Eowyn. Her so called love for Aragorn is ridiculous. She has a discussion with him on a horse and now they are soul mates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

TTT and ROTK are both vastly inferior to FOTR. The sequels suffer from poor pacing and Eowyn. Her so called love for Aragorn is ridiculous. She has a discussion with him on a horse and now they are soul mates.

That s like saying you like Act I better than Act II & III in  a story.

LOTR was never a trilogy.

It s a 10 hour Film, shot at once with the exact same actors and crew and they could shoot scenes from ROTK in the morning and scenes from FOTR in the afternoon.

Tone, sets, direction, everything is the same during these 3 movies.

Never understood why people sets them apart.

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

That s like saying you like Act I better than Act II & III in  a story.

LOTR was never a trilogy.

It s a 10 hour Film, shot at once with the exact same actors and crew and they could shoot scenes from ROTK in the morning and scenes from FOTR in the afternoon.

Tone, sets, direction, everything is the same during these 3 movies.

Never understood why people sets them apart.

Because they were released in different years. And because ROTK won best picture.....not the LOTR trilogy. Pretty simple stuff.

• Like 1

I unironically think Bee Movie is a good movie. I thought this before all the memes this year; I can dig up some chat logs I have talking about it but that's a pain and I hope you guys trust me. It's legitimately funny and I dig the plot. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a solid 7-7.5/10 for me.

• Like 4