Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

21 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't think the genre is inherently bad, unfortunately it has fallen victim to lazy filmmaking in recent years though

Maybe I should restate.

"The Comic Book genre is the worst one."

On 1/22/2017 at 6:13 AM, baumer said:

TTT and ROTK are both vastly inferior to FOTR. The sequels suffer from poor pacing and Eowyn. Her so called love for Aragorn is ridiculous. She has a discussion with him on a horse and now they are soul mates.

Oh Baumy, they were never close to soul mates, Aragorn never wanted her.  Eowyn loathes being defined and limited by her station and gender and believed Aragorn was a path to "freedom", greatness, or a way out.  They get more time together in the extended edition of the movie.  Theres a scene where they're talking over a campfire while on their way to Helms Deep and she is blown away when she finds out that Aragorn is 87 years old(and knew her Grandfather) and one of the last descendants of the Numenorians, a once very powerful race of men with lifespans 2-3 times longer than normal before they were mostly wiped out by Sauron's deceit.  So yeah, big crush for Eowyn. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Oh Baumy, they were never close to soul mates, Aragorn never wanted her.  Eowyn loathes being defined and limited by her station and gender and believed Aragorn was a path to "freedom", greatness, or a way out.  They get more time together in the extended edition of the movie.  Theres a scene where they're talking over a campfire while on their way to Helms Deep and she is blown away when she finds out that Aragorn is 87 years old(and knew her Grandfather) and one of the last descendants of the Numenorians, a once very powerful race of men with lifespans 2-3 times longer than normal before they were mostly wiped out by Sauron's deceit.  So yeah, big crush for Eowyn. 

I own the extended editiions.  Oh Ozzy.  She still falls in love with him in 5 minutes.  And then she is crushed when Arwen shows up.  So don't be condescending.  I've seen the movies and my opinion is valid.

I think The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a better Battle Royale movie than, well, Battle Royale :ph34r: 

Mockingjay Part 1 and 2 are horrendous though. 1st one is average at best. 

I just enjoy how Catching Fire subverts everything that made the first one average by turning the actual point of the story on its head, and adds this touch of cynicism as well that just makes it work. It's tense, much better directed than the 1st, flows really well, and has great characters with believable motivations, which is what the other 3 movies lack. It also tells a pretty interesting story, more interesting, at least to me, than Battle Royale's.

Edited by Daxtreme
typo
  • Like 2

Ooh boy... :stirthepot:

Iron Man 3 is my favorite of the MCU's Phase 2 series. While I will concede that The Winter Soldier is the better film by most filmmaking metrics, I just enjoy Iron Man 3 so damn much. It's basically the love child of Iron Man and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and the Shane Black-iness of the whole thing more than outweighs all of the film's weaker points. I loved the Mandarin twist when I first saw the film four years ago, and I still love it now. The film strikes a near-perfect balance of snarkiness, clever play with genre conventions, and legitimately well-composed set pieces. More than anything else, it feels like a film in which an underappreciated filmmaker got relatively free creative reign, whereas most of the other films from Phases 2 and 3 felt like really solid efforts in which the Marvel execs struck a precise balance between meeting a corporate agenda and allowing a creative hired gun to have fun. 

Then again, that's probably still not nearly as controversial as a coworker's claim that Iron Man is better than The Dark Knight. ;)

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

Then again, that's probably still not nearly as controversial as a coworker's claim that Iron Man is better than The Dark Knight. ;)

I mean... it is.

Don't @ me.

• Like 1

While I don't think this one is at all controversial among hardcore film buffs, I think it certainly applies to this community: Annie Hall completely deserved to win the Best Picture Oscar over Star Wars. I love Star Wars dearly, but Annie Hall is on a completely different level.

Edited by Webslinger

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the most director driven franchise currenty in Hollywood, Marvel Studios/Dinsey giving their artists all the tools, money and freedom to fullfill their visions.

Edited by The Futurist