Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the most director driven franchise currenty in Hollywood, Marvel Studios/Dinsey giving their artists all the tools, money and freedom to fullfill their visions.

Tell that to Edgar Wright.

• Like 2

The Wonder Woman theme worked in BvS because all she did was kick ass and look cool doing it. Once she became a realised character in her own movie the theme stopped working. None of the wonderful qualities that Gal and Jenkins brought to the character are found in the theme - it really doesn't work, as catchy as it might be.

30 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

The Wonder Woman theme worked in BvS because all she did was kick ass and look cool doing it. Once she became a realised character in her own movie the theme stopped working. None of the wonderful qualities that Gal and Jenkins brought to the character are found in the theme - it really doesn't work, as catchy as it might be.

Funny, everytime I listen to it off context, I'm torn between "Jesus, that's cringeworthy coming out of nowhere!" and "Geez, that riff is some heavy headbanging shit!\oo/" . I always wonder (pun non intended) what Elfman or Silvestri could have come up with. And yes, I have a hard time picturing how you can orchestrate it in an intimate manner going for character emotions and emotional beats for hence. It is monotone and only fit in bombastic action extravaganza.

My issue is it feels like a Junkie XL template sample he could have put in Mad Max Fury Road played by the Doof Warrior or 300: Rise Of The Empire and nobody would bat an eyelid. People enjoy it in BVS and Wonder-Woman but it sounds interchangeable with any action movies out there whereas you can't put Williams Superman theme over Burton's Batman and vice versa nor put Zimmer's TDK over Avengers. It just doesn't work, that's how you know a score and motif is special and rendered indelible to the movie character it illustrates.

Edited by dashrendar44

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Mummy and National Treasure are so much better than Indiana Jones 4 it is not even funny. Stephen Sommers and Jon Turteltaub made better Indiana Jones films than Spielberg did with his 4th movie. Sad! 

Is that really unpopular

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@God Emperor Tele we need to educate him

:rolleyes: You must be one of those old time trekkies, It's IMDB score is 8.0 higher than any of the other Trek films, it's Metascore is an 82 the highest of any Trek film, and it's also JJ Abram's best film and one of the greatest movies of all time.. that last part might be mostly my opinion, but it's right. ^_^

On 6/6/2017 at 11:43 AM, dashrendar44 said:

Funny, everytime I listen to it off context, I'm torn between "Jesus, that's cringeworthy coming out of nowhere!" and "Geez, that riff is some heavy headbanging shit!\oo/" . I always wonder (pun non intended) what Elfman or Silvestri could have come up with. And yes, I have a hard time picturing how you can orchestrate it in an intimate manner going for character emotions and emotional beats for hence. It is monotone and only fit in bombastic action extravaganza.

My issue is it feels like a Junkie XL template sample he could have put in Mad Max Fury Road played by the Doof Warrior or 300: Rise Of The Empire and nobody would bat an eyelid. People enjoy it in BVS and Wonder-Woman but it sounds interchangeable with any action movies out there whereas you can't put Williams Superman theme over Burton's Batman and vice versa nor put Zimmer's TDK over Avengers. It just doesn't work, that's how you know a score and motif is special and rendered indelible to the movie character it illustrates.

I actually agree, and I don't think the theme fits WW as a character all that greatly either. It's just generic electric cello music, nothing about it screams "mythological epic" to me. Hearing it in the Wonder Woman film was actually slightly distracting at points. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2