Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

3 hours ago, vc2002 said:

As bad as the guy plays the new Superman (forgot his name)

Although I'm not sure if it's really unpopular. I dont see Gal gets a lot of praise for her acting.

According to the trades, she might be in the running to snatch an Academy Award nomination for her performance.

Edited by dashrendar44

On 25/09/2017 at 0:30 PM, dashrendar44 said:

Gal Gadot is (still) a bad actress.

Gal is our new Christopher Reeve. I don't think she is necessarily a GREAT actress now, but I wouldn't be mad if she was nominated. What I mean is that maybe her future can be brighter than Reeve if she focus on TRULY becoming a great actress. Don't think your opinion is unpopular either.

On 25/09/2017 at 10:47 AM, titanic2187 said:

get out and dunkirk are overrated

Get Out is overrated as hell. And yeah, this is an unpopular opinion. It's a great film, but it's not even better than Logan, and Logan isn't the superhero masterpiece that some make out to be. 

Here's my unpopular opinion, btw. 

23 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Get Out is overrated as hell. And yeah, this is an unpopular opinion. It's a great film, but it's not even better than Logan, and Logan isn't the superhero masterpiece that some make out to be. 

Here's my unpopular opinion, btw. 

I loved Logan, but I think it might be my least favorite SH film of the year, of course that's mostly becuase most of them exceeded my expectations this year. I actually gave every one of them (GOTG 2, WW, Logan and Spider-Man: HC) the exact same grade and have trouble deciding where to rank them. 

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I loved Logan, but I think it might be my least favorite SH film of the year, of course that's mostly becuase most of them exceeded my expectations this year. I actually gave every one of them (GOTG 2, WW, Logan and Spider-Man: HC) the exact same grade and have trouble deciding where to rank them. 

That's LITERALLY my opinion on the film. I think it's the perfect endsong for the Singer universe. But I think that literally all the superhero films this year are more accomplished films. I just don't see Logan like a masterpiece, more like a 3.5/5 film. Deadpool for example is a 4.5/5. 

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

According to the trades, she might be in the course to snatch an Academy Award nomination for her performance.

:kitschjob::WHATanabe::gold:

Come to think of it, Gal really reminds me of Scarlett. Yeah one can say she's DC's Scarlett.

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I'm not sure if this is unpopular but IMO Singer's first two X-men movies are much better than Logan.

3 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Gal is our new Christopher Reeve. I don't think she is necessarily a GREAT actress now, but I wouldn't be mad if she was nominated. What I mean is that maybe her future can be brighter than Reeve if she focus on TRULY becoming a great actress. Don't think your opinion is unpopular either.

She wasn't even on the level of Chris Evans in CA1 or Hemsworth in Thor, imo, none of them had any preposterous Oscar talk or were award worthy (Christopher Reeve either and he was better than all of them). The only thing I sense in common with Reeve is that she will always be associated to that specific role and typecasted in these popcorn fares unless she enrolls at Julliard School (Didn't help Reeve for getting recognition outside Superman though) or Actors Studio asap to gain more complex and realistic roles. It's a sincere case of low expectations since everybody feared awfulness, hitting an average to mediocre acting level that is the minimum basic requirement as a lead in any other movies is seen as the epitome of the-spian greatness.(She can hit her marks frowning AND smiling AND crying, yeah, Oscar worthy!) She's a Keanu Reeves in Matrix (acting limitations working in service of the material) more than a Christopher Reeve acting-wise.(Deploying an acting range to embody a dual character).

(And Jenkins direction and Chris Pine's comedic chops were doing a lot of the leg work for her to bounce off it. I enjoy the movie for what it is, a light summer popcorn fare following a typical run-of-the-mill CBM blueprint but the hyperbole surrounding every single thing about it, geez...)

Edited by dashrendar44

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

I'm not sure if this is unpopular but IMO Singer's first two X-men movies are much better than Logan.

Eh I'm not sure, DOFP is the only X-Men film I like better than Logan I think, but X-Men and X2 are very close and both brilliant films imo. 

50 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

She wasn't even on the level of Chris Evans in CA1 or Hemsworth in Thor, imo, none of them had any preposterous Oscar talk or were award worthy (Christopher Reeve either and he was better than all of them). The only thing I sense in common with Reeve is that she will always be associated to that specific role and typecasted in these popcorn fares unless she enrolls at Julliard School (Didn't help Reeve for getting recognition outside Superman though) or Actors Studio asap to gain more complex and realistic roles. It's a sincere case of low expectations since everybody feared awfulness, hitting an average to mediocre acting level that is the minimum basic requirement as a lead in any other movies is seen as the epitome of the-spian greatness.(She can hit her marks frowning AND smiling AND crying, yeah, Oscar worthy!) She's a Keanu Reeves in Matrix (acting limitations working in service of the material) more than a Christopher Reeve acting-wise.(Deploying an acting range to embody a dual character).

(And Jenkins direction and Chris Pine's comedic chops were doing a lot of the leg work for her to bounce off it. I enjoy the movie for what it is, a light summer popcorn fare following a typical run-of-the-mill CBM blueprint but the hyperbole surrounding every single thing about it, geez...)

While I agree I don't think Gal gave an Oscar worthy performance, she was very good in WW imo. by far the best acting role of her career. and Yes alot of that has to do with Patty Jenkins great direction and her Chemistry with Pine, but come on give the girl bone. She is insanely charismatic in that movie and has real talent. 

14 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

She's a Keanu Reeves in Matrix

I think we underrate what he did in this, he is working perfectly under is limitation but he also transform quite well (at least physically) between is video game avatar / weak human self, lot of good work went into this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

it did feel like Chris Pine almost felt like a co lead. Kind of ironic for the first major female superhero movie. The sequel will kind of have a hole to fill without him

Edited by John Marston