Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

It was just a question man. No need to deride.

it was quite a loaded question

anyway i think hummableness is pretty unrelated to quality but zimmer simply is not a good example of non-hummable music. admittedly i do think the loudest brrmmmms of inception do fit the film's detachment superbly but the rest of the score could be vastly improved - most of the ambient music is piss poor and that mombasa cue is abominable.

the good thing about inception is that its score is front and centre, and so it does play a big part in the movie's atmosphere. but his batman scores are background stuff and there's nothing memorable at all.

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

This thread turned more on a 'hate on Zimmer thread' lol.

I never liked any of Williams' scores, and I didn't like a lot from Elfman, just a few. Zimmer is my favorite composer out there, and Inception is my all time favorite OST because I simply don't give a fuck how the music was recorded so long it goes with the movie. I couldn't care less that Williams and Elfman use the whole range of a real symphonic orchestra and they have dynamics, variation or modulation because this isn't the music industry where it matters that music, it's the film industry where it has to go with the movie.

If Williams and Elfman are such geniuses, maybe they should move in the real music industry instead of spending their time with creating themes for movies. If they are such masterminds with their using of whole range of symphonic orchestra and shit like that, maybe creating themes for movies isn't for them. Or they aren't for it, I don't know.

Zimmer's Batman score goes perfectly with BB, and the truth is that no Williams or Elfman score could make it work (at least if they keep going with the real instruments shit and stuff) the way Zimmer did. So that's my opinion. Don't like, don't reply because I frankly couldn't care less what you thought about what I said.

• Like 1

The post above me is the most ridiculous post I ever read in this thread.

If Williams and Elfman are such geniuses, maybe they should move in the real music industry instead of spending their time with creating themes for movies.

Yeah, they're better at their jobs than overrated Zimmer and they could have done that droning noise Zimmer did in their sleep (But Zimmer could not write any Williams themes to save his life), every single Remote Control minion, Trailer Musics composers like 2 steps from Hell and unknown Youtube composers as well. Deal with it.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

That's surely the best quality indicator of all. Hummableness. I wouldn't say people today would be able to hum the themes from, say, Blade Runner, does that make it a lesser score?

I'll admit I'm no professional when it comes to music, but to me what really matters when it comes to any film score is how well it suits the film. In that respect, I think Elfman's and Zimmer's Batman scores work about equally well. Richer and more grandiose doesn't instantly mean better. I've seen TDK a dozen times and listened to the score even more, and I think it fits the movie like a glove - it's dark, intense when it needs to be and even tragic when it needs to be (mostly in the final scenes as Dent delivers his everything-has-gone-to-hell monologue). It perfectly captures the film's overall atmosphere and then transports it. In that way I don't see how it's not successful. It doesn't need to be orchestral to be good, I thought we left that line of thinking behind for good a long time ago.

Inception is an even better example of it (and, in my opinion, the best thing Zimmer ever did). It functions not just as a film score, but as a conceptual album. Here it doesn't simply serve the film, capturing the mood (like in TDK), it enriches it. Things like slowing Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien way down (like everything slows down in a dream) and incorporating it into the score are nothing if not inspired. Moreover, just as a film score, it gets the chance to be a lot of things - bombastic, tense, rising. triumphant, but also incredibly quiet and melancholic, almost ambient. At the same time, nothing sticks out, nothing feels out of place. 

As far as Zimmer's work overall and him being one-note and simplistic all the time, well I've listened to his scores for The Lion King, The Rock, Black Hawk Down, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Dead Man's Chest, TDK, Inception, Sherlock Holmes and Rango numerous times and if those aren't all fairly different from one another and if each and every one doesn't perfectly suit the movie then I must be from another fucking planet. I don't consider myself a fanboy, either, I know Zimmer can produce a lot of uninspired whatever-scores, as well as some total shit - it does him no favors when he's working on six films a year - but when he's game, he can be as great as anyone.

Yeah people tend to base these views on just a few of his tracks. But if you look over his entire filmography (he has scored over 100 films) you see plenty of variety.

And there is no truth in him only copy pasting & using only sample libraries, that's all oversimplifying & spiteful talk. He uses a live orchestra ALWAYS, when it's available in the budget that is, he then enhances the sound with synthesizers and samples. And he's a master at that. 
Edited by Robert Muldoon

Hans Zimmer is a incredibly influential composer, and I love most of his works. But because his style seems like a easy way to go, there are just too many copycats in this industry doing his type of scores, and I bet that's one of the reasons some might think his works are cheap.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Hans Zimmer is a incredibly influential composer, and I love most of his works. But because his style seems like a easy way to go, there are just too many copycats in this industry doing his type of scores, and I bet that's one of the reasons some might think his works are cheap.

They are not copycats, they are his children which is a very different thing.

They all worked for or with Zimmer at one moment or another.

Zimmer has done some very fine work, but a lot of his blockbuster scores are too mechanical and choose the path of least resistance to shapeless bombasity.

I would take 10 of his Sherlock Holmes scores over his Batman output easily.

yawn. everyone knows he sucks. how about some more well-renowned talentless hacks like george lucas?

George couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

And he would struggle to direct his way out of a paper bag as well.

But he is very talented at 'the big picture' so to speak. One has to be to create a world as vivid as Star Wars.

• Like 1