Jack Nevada

Anna Karenina

I used to have that same pet peeve, but of course I understand the financial non-feasability of filming a famous Russian novel with English-speaking film stars, and then having them speak Russian. However, after watching the fabulous Dangerous Liaisons, I changed my mind. I don't think that adaptation would've been any more brilliant if it had been made in French with French actors.

I used to have that same pet peeve, but of course I understand the financial non-feasability of filming a famous Russian novel with English-speaking film stars, and then having them speak Russian. However, after watching the fabulous Dangerous Liaisons, I changed my mind. I don't think that adaptation would've been any more brilliant if it had been made in French with French actors.

I think some were at least attempting the french accent in that movie.

They didn`t speak with fake French accents if I recall correctly.

It's down to preference, obviously, I just don't understand why these people get paid millions if they can't pull off an accent other than English or American. Better yet if the film was actually in native language but obviously that's not going to happen. But this is IMO like if they made a Queen Elizabeth movie and she had an American accent. We'd never hear the end of it!

But the Queen speaks English! IMO, it isn`t authentic to swap Russian with Russian accented English. It isn`t Russian. It`s another matter when a character is Russian in English-speaking environment so he/she speaks English but accent reveals the origin. But this Russians who speak Russian-accented English in their daily life in Russia? Just let them speak English.

They didn`t speak with fake French accents if I recall correctly.

You recall correctly indeed. They mostly spoke in that very proper and immaculately-enunciated English that is not quite a British accent but it's not pointedly American either. I think it's called Trans-Atlantic English or something along those lines... Edited by cochofles

You recall correctly indeed. They mostly spoke in that very proper and immaculately-enunciated English that is not quite a British accent but it's not pointedly American either. I think it's called Trans-Atlantic English or something along those lines...

You`re right. They use that accent for period movies about upper class cause it sounds upper-classy to Hollywood.

I think more so than the accents I think the atmosphere of Russia during the period is important. I think this was RocknRolla's second point. There is nothing in the clips to make you think of Russia. Things moved so fast though I could hardly tell. But if the emphasis is on a certain style and approach from Wright then I could see where all of that atmosphere would be sacrificed.

But the Queen speaks English! IMO, it isn`t authentic to swap Russian with Russian accented English. It isn`t Russian. It`s another matter when a character is Russian in English-speaking environment so he/she speaks English but accent reveals the origin. But this Russians who speak Russian-accented English in their daily life in Russia? Just let them speak English.

When Russians speak English to each other do they do so in American or British accent? Chances are, not. If all actors had the dedication of Viggo Mortensen they could pull off something like he did in Eastern Promises in which he was brilliant.This reminds me of another situation that annoyed me this year-in J Edgar, Judi Dench inexplicably had a proper English accent while portraying American born and raised Hoover's mother. Why does she get a pass? Cause she's a Dame?

You recall correctly indeed. They mostly spoke in that very proper and immaculately-enunciated English that is not quite a British accent but it's not pointedly American either. I think it's called Trans-Atlantic English or something along those lines...

I thought Michelle Pfeiffer's character tried to speak with a french accent. I could be mistaken though. I'm pretty sure Glenn Close and John Malkovich did not.

I think more so than the accents I think the atmosphere of Russia during the period is important. I think this was RocknRolla's second point. There is nothing in the clips to make you think of Russia. Things moved so fast though I could hardly tell. But if the emphasis is on a certain style and approach from Wright then I could see where all of that atmosphere would be sacrificed.

Yes, thank you. The accent issue is a sidetrack.Oh and I'm not saying the film can't stand on its own as impressive work due to accent or atmosphere, it just IMO will be missing a part of the allure that helps this period piece stand apart from others of Western European origin. Edited by rockNrollaDIM

I thought Michelle Pfeiffer's character tried to speak with a french accent. I could be mistaken though. I'm pretty sure Glenn Close and John Malkovich did not.

I remember watching that film and thinking how out of place the accents of Keanu Reeves and Uma Thurman sounded. They simply teetered between badly executed pseudo-British and badly executed Trans-Atlantic English.

When Russians speak English to each other do they do so in American or British accent? Chances are, not. If all actors had the dedication of Viggo Mortensen they could pull off something like he did in Eastern Promises in which he was brilliant.

And very puzzling. His accent was awful in LOTR slipping in and out of American into bad Brit. "lets hunt some Awhhhhhk". Yet Russian one he nailed. Weird. I can`t stand him but he should have won over DDL. I`d give him Best Actor for EP.

This reminds me of another situation that annoyed me this year-in J Edgar, Judi Dench inexplicably had a proper English accent while portraying American born and raised Hoover's mother. Why does she get a pass? Cause she's a Dame?

Well spotted. Yeha, I think that`s why she gets away with the same accent in every role.
  • Like 1

I remember watching that film and thinking how out of place the accents of Keanu Reeves and Uma Thurman sounded. They simply teetered between badly executed pseudo-British and badly executed Trans-Atlantic English.

LOL I don't even remember Keanu Reeves speaking. I remember Uma Thurman though. The film was so good I really didn't pay much attention. I don't know how Glenn Close did not win an Oscar. But that's a worry for another day, lol.

Fake Russian accents would be terribly distracting imo. As for atmosphere, the trailer didn't show enough to judge. However, costumes and props seem to look accuratehttp://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/1/59/267/59267207_1274353865_fb0d078590c0t.jpghttp://www.styleway.ru/uploads/posts/1248189125_moniteurmode2.jpghttp://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/0/35/874/35874839_Makovskiy_K.jpg

Fake Russian accents would be terribly distracting imo. As for atmosphere, the trailer didn't show enough to judge. However, costumes and props seem to look accuratehttp://img1.liveinte...0d078590c0t.jpghttp://www.styleway....niteurmode2.jpghttp://img1.liveinte...Makovskiy_K.jpg

Yeah costumes do look right for that part of the story. But there's a whole part that is just the opposite. We haven't seen that in the trailer yet. I'm curious as to how it will be handled. The trailer makes it look like more romantic than it really is. I am really curious to see how this is gonna play out.

Speaking of Keira Knightley, I just watched Bend it Like Beckham. A pretty likable movie, although really overlong. KK was sometimes annoying in it, with all the Charlton Heston-esque talking through gritted teeth and frowning.

Somebody mentioned in another thread yesterday (complaining about Spidey wars) that they think Anna Karenina thread will become a bloodbath in the Fall. :lol:What do you think, Fish?

It`s #1 movie in the Paralel Universe and nobody in the right mind in this universe should care for it. I hate it already cause it`s a stage production-type which means that KK`s jump in front of the train won`t be as graphic and gory as I hoped. She`ll never atone for ruining POTC with her diva demands especially that horrid Crispian Day speech from diva demand package.Never. Did Seeking a Friend bomb? Say it is so.

Nothing compared to the I, Frankenstein thread. If that movie does well in any country I expect somewhat racist rants.

I`m going to create the I Frankenstein 0% RT Club come January. If Ballistic:Ecks vs Sever could do it, this can too.Of course, I`m still hoping they`ll see the light and release this DtD because such garbage has no business in theaters. If Centurion with better production values could go DtD than a Shitto starrer certainly must. And ddddeeee, I`m not gonna let you condamn yourself to a fate worse than death, splitting your soul into Horcruxes and getting locked up in the same cell with with iJackSparrow - that of becoming a Shittard. Andrew The Situation Garfield isn`t worth such outragous sacrifice.

Speaking of Keira Knightley, I just watched Bend it Like Beckham. A pretty likable movie, although really overlong. KK was sometimes annoying in it, with all the Charlton Heston-esque talking through gritted teeth and frowning.

:rofl:That movie is another exmaple of racism in Hollywood. Of all brilliant Indian cast, they decided to groom white chick for stardom whose role was less about acting and more about showing abs. Edited by fishnets