TLK

Weekend Estimates: TMB @ 13M, PROM @ 20.2M, ROA @ 15M, MAD3 @ 35.5M

Uh, what? This weekend's drop is terrible, yes, but the movie's going to be profitable. Something it seems a third of all other movies this year can't say.

BOM doesn't list the budget. It's Ridley Scott. It can't be cheap.Funny how closely it is matching Green Lantern, but still falling short because of the R-rating and twenty minute longer runtime.

BOM doesn't list the budget. It's Ridley Scott. It can't be cheap.Funny how closely it is matching Green Lantern, but still falling short because of the R-rating and twenty minute longer runtime.

1. The budget is 130M2. Prometheus RAPES GL internationally

1. The budget is 130M2. Prometheus RAPES GL internationally

And in quality.Prometheus RT rating - 74%Green Lantern - 27%Again, dumbest comparisons ever in terms of BO. One is sooperheero, the other is scifi horror. One is PG-13, the other is rated R.

Much higher than that. Its $180 million with prints & advertising.

When we're talking budgets, we usually mean production budget. Prometheus' 130M is actually very modest compared to 170M for SWATH, and 225M for MIB3, and of course those films also had P&A expenditures.

It's been well publicized that Prometheus was close to 200 mill but it got a lot of tax breaks so teh bduget dropped to 130.

It's been well publicized that Prometheus was close to 200 mill but it got a lot of tax breaks so teh bduget dropped to 130.

Even $130m might be high. The number from The Guardian is £65m. What was the exchange rate for dollars and pounds in 2011-2012?

And in quality.Prometheus RT rating - 74%Green Lantern - 27%Again, dumbest comparisons ever in terms of BO. One is sooperheero, the other is scifi horror. One is PG-13, the other is rated R.

This is America, the place where even the shittiest superhero movie can gross a gazillion of dollars: Batman & Robin adjusts to 173M.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

When we're talking budgets, we usually mean production budget. Prometheus' 130M is actually very modest compared to 170M for SWATH, and 225M for MIB3, and of course those films also had P&A expenditures.

"We"? :lol:"We" -- as in we at Boxoffice.com -- use the entire estimated budget. Not the production-only budget that Hollywood studios spin as being the only negative cost on a movie.Mojo has never listed the true total budgets for a movie. That confused me for years as well, but, alas... they're inaccurate.(But yes, Prometheus's overall budget is a little more modest compared to those films you listed.) Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

I'm completely fine with however it's done, as long as everyone's consistent. In the forums, usually people just use the production budget. But add $60-$150m to every studio movie and that works too.

To be fair, I used to do the same exact thing and I think the forums only still do it because everyone is used to using Mojo as the source (since that's where the forums originate from).When I started working with Boxoffice.com though, it was made "clear", let's say...that those production budgets reported don't tell the entire story.I wish it was more consistent too. But if we're looking at gauging the box office success of a film, I'm not sure how we justify excluding marketing costs personally. Edited by ShawnMR