Lumos

Do you feel that Deathly Hallows Part 1 underperformed?

43 members have voted

1. 1. Did Part 1 under perform?

• Yes.
    • No. It overperformed!
    • It made just as much as I expected.

1. Sorcerer’s Stone: 55.9M2. Chamber of Secrets: 44.6M3. Prisoner of Azkaban: 40.3M4. Goblet of Fire: 44.9M5. Order of the Phoenix: 42.4M6. Half-Blood Prince: 40.37. Deathly Hallows Part 1: 37.4M8. Deathly Hallows Part 2: 42.6MLooking at the ticket sales of each Harry Potter film, it is evident that each instalment was a huge success that pulled in a large sum of cash. Still, I've never fully understood why DH Part 1 failed to reach 300M. After 6 films, EVERY SINGLE HP FILM had sold ATLEAST 40 million tickets or more...and this one failed to reach that mark...not by a few hundred thousand tickets either...by more than 2.5M! It's opening day was only marginally larger than HBP's od and within 5 days was already trailing the 6th installment by more than 14M (144 vs 159). It is considered by many Potter fans to be one of the finest films in the series, which led many people to think that it would have somewhat decent legs (helped by Thanksgiving and Christmas), but it only managed a 2.36x.Each new instalment released after GOF saw modest drops in DOM ticket sales, but DH1 was certainly steeper than the drops we saw with OotP and HBP...in fact it was the largest drop since COS! Looking back, I feel like DH1 should have easily sold 40M tickets. The series had proven time and time again that 40M+ tickets was assured, and the holidays combined with a general lack of competition should have helped the film go beyond that, which was the case with COS and GOF.So what happened? Was it just a bad market? The fact that it was a sequel to two mediocere Potter films? The fact that it was only half a film? Or was it simply Potter fatigue like we've never seen before? I think it's a combination of all 4....So what do you guys think? Did Part 1 underperform?

Edited by Mr Potter

I actually think DH2 underperformed.It's admissions came in less than COS!! I thought for sure that it would at least match that and GOF in admissions.

Quality has very little to do with performance when it comes to Potter. Afterall PoA and DH1 are the two lowest performers in the series.But anyways, COS, was the sequel to SS, a film that sold more tickets than THG and FotR....it was also more kid friendly and came out when Potter was still new and fresh in Hollywood. DH2 was the sequal to film that sold only 37M tickets and was the 8th film in the series. It took a nice increase over Part 1, so I can't really complain about its performance. Edited by Mr Potter

Yes, it underperformed. I'm not sure why though, probably because it was only the first half of a movie. I don't think it got as many repeat viewings as DH2 either I imagine.

I thought that being just the first half of the book, and not really a complete movie by itself, that it actually over performed, not by a lot, but by maybe a million tickets roughly.

Both Deathly Hallows movies didn't disappoint but I expected more from them.DH1 opened good but should have topped 300M.DH2 really should have hit 175M+ OW and finish well over 500M. DH2 had a great opening but its finish is which is under 400M is underwhelming.

Every film decreased in ticket sales after GOF, which essentially acted as a mini finale at the BO because it introduces the villain at full strength, each film after GOF decreased by about 2.5m tickets, so I wouldn't say DH1 underperformed....I would say DH2 'over performed' to an extent

Depressed market. Not to mention most of the non book fans found it boring.I think many people don't realize just how many fans Potter had Bookwise... Not all of them watched the movies... When you hit the 6th film in 8 years and still manage $300 million with a film devoid of major action... WowBut I also can't believe the HP series could never produce a $400 millioner.

It did what I expected. It's OW was huge at the time and of course, the typical Potter drops. But looking back at it and looking at THG's performance, it does seem like it was slightly underwhelming.

Potter did GREAT for a British movie with British characters played by British actors, taking place in a distinctly British cultural setting. HG and Twilight are homegrown phenomenons. It's perfectly natural for them to perform stronger domestically.