Lumos

Do you feel that Deathly Hallows Part 1 underperformed?

43 members have voted

1. 1. Did Part 1 under perform?

• Yes.
    • No. It overperformed!
    • It made just as much as I expected.

Well I know Notics is going to scream at me but when the films lacked any real focus or big action scenes non fans lost interest.I remember people loving POA, however the ads for GOF really stressed the film was about a Tournament with great action scenes and a showdown with the big Villian.Ever since that untill DH2, you never had a great premise to drawn in casual fans or non fans.

Would have made 330m or so without 3D. Decent uptick in ticket sales.

Closer to 350M actually....3D didn't play a large role with this film. I think only 40% of the gross came from 3D, which is like 30% of the tickets...and that was on OW when 3D:2D ration is the highest. I'll always wonder about Potter's 400M potential if it was one 3hour+ film though....

Closer to 350M actually....3D didn't play a large role with this film. I think only 40% of the gross came from 3D, which is like 30% of the tickets...and that was on OW when 3D:2D ration is the highest.I'll always wonder about Potter's 400M potential if it was one 3hour+ film though....

Yes Noctis corrected me on this on facebook, regardless DH1 acted normally, DH2 was an over performer. We wouldn't be hearing a word about DH1 under performing if it made a dollar over 300m, us Potter fans are just obsessive about that milestone because it eluded us so many times.

I just find it so strange that the film sold less than 40M tickets....even PoA which had a hugely dissapointing dom gross managed to outsell Part 1 by more than 2.5m ticketsAnd sorry, but a 125M OW was terrible for a potter flick. HBP made 160M in 5 days....that would translate into about 130-135M for its OW if it was released on a friday. Part 1 should have done something closer to New Moon (142M) for its OW in an ideal market.....

I just find it so strange that the film sold less than 40M tickets....even PoA which had a hugely dissapointing dom gross managed to outsell Part 1 by more than 2.5m ticketsAnd sorry, but a 125M OW was terrible for a potter flick. HBP made 160M in 5 days....that would translate into about 130-135M for its OW if it was released on a friday. Part 1 should have done something closer to New Moon (142M) for its OW in an ideal market.....

I would hardly call it horrible but more underwhelming, it was released in winter when OW rush factor isn't as in full effect as it would be in summer, DH1 made up for the OW with it's legs, people were predicting 270m total after that OW.The films were on a downhill trajectory after GOF so selling less than 40m tickets isn't much of a surprise.

I think it ended where it was expected to. It's only considered an under-performer because hardcore potter fans on this site over-rate the film whereas In reality, the general audience didn't see the film as a masterpiece like people on here hint it is. Also I seem to remember a lot of the general public hating on HBP, maybe that had something to do with the drop.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2